Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default large sds chisel bit?

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a large sds chisel bit?

About 40mm seems to be the widest for "standard" sds and sds-max seems
to be used for anything wider.

There are plenty of 75mm wide tile removing bits but these are
cranked. I want one without a bend; does such a thing exist?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

About 40mm seems to be the widest for "standard" sds and sds-max seems
to be used for anything wider.

I got an SDS one with the Armeg socket sinking set that's about 70mm
wide (ie width of metal back box) so it could probably be bought
individually.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:
Fred wrote:

About 40mm seems to be the widest for "standard" sds and sds-max
seems to be used for anything wider.

I got an SDS one with the Armeg socket sinking set that's about 70mm
wide (ie width of metal back box) so it could probably be bought
individually.

Yep, I picked up an 80mm Armeg chisel from the electrical wholesalers the
other day.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

On Jan 17, 3:53*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a large sds chisel bit?

About 40mm seems to be the widest for "standard" sds and sds-max seems
to be used for anything wider.

There are plenty of 75mm wide tile removing bits but these are
cranked. I want one without a bend; does such a thing exist?

TIA

Toolstation do a 75mm tile lifter which I was looking at the other day
as I need to lift some tiles (!). Dunno what the difference is
between one of them and a chisel - probably how pointy they are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:23:32 -0800 (PST), GMM
wrote:

Toolstation do a 75mm tile lifter which I was looking at the other day
as I need to lift some tiles (!). Dunno what the difference is
between one of them and a chisel - probably how pointy they are.

I bought a tile lifting one from TS and it was the Heller brand IIRC.

The difference is that the tile bit has a cranked shaft, i.e. it is
slightly bent. IMO this allows you to hold the drill at a more
comfortable angle and slide the chisel behind the tiles to lift them.
If there's another reason, I'm sure someone will correct me shortly!

I'm wanting to remove old plaster from a wall and although the tile
bit will do it, I would prefer a chisel that points where the drill is
pointing, rather than in another direction!

I did see an Armeg socket sinker and did wonder about that; I'll go
and have a closer look. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

wrote:

Toolstation do a 75mm tile lifter which I was looking at the other day
as I need to lift some tiles (!). *Dunno what the difference is
between one of them and a chisel - probably how pointy they are.

I bought a tile lifting one from TS and it was the Heller brand IIRC.

The difference is that the tile bit has a cranked shaft, i.e. it is
slightly bent. IMO this allows you to hold the drill at a more
comfortable angle and slide the chisel behind the tiles to lift them.
If there's another reason, I'm sure someone will correct me shortly!

I'm wanting to remove old plaster from a wall and although the tile
bit will do it, I would prefer a chisel that points where the drill is
pointing, rather than in another direction!

I did see an Armeg socket sinker and did wonder about that; I'll go
and have a closer look. Thanks.

Ahh - it didn't show that in the photo. Pity as I was thinking of
buying one for exactly the same purpose!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Toolstation do a 75mm tile lifter which I was looking at the other day
as I need to lift some tiles (!). Dunno what the difference is
between one of them and a chisel - probably how pointy they are.

I bought a tile lifting one from TS and it was the Heller brand IIRC.

The difference is that the tile bit has a cranked shaft, i.e. it is
slightly bent. IMO this allows you to hold the drill at a more
comfortable angle and slide the chisel behind the tiles to lift them.
If there's another reason, I'm sure someone will correct me shortly!

I'm wanting to remove old plaster from a wall and although the tile
bit will do it, I would prefer a chisel that points where the drill is
pointing, rather than in another direction!

what sort of plaster - old sandy crap or newer gypsum? what's under
the plaster?

TBH on older stuff I find just hitting it with a hammer far quicker
and no messier/tiring than wielding the SDS...

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 17, 11:23*pm, GMM wrote:
On Jan 17, 3:53*pm, Fred wrote:

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a large sds chisel bit?

About 40mm seems to be the widest for "standard" sds and sds-max seems
to be used for anything wider.

There are plenty of 75mm wide tile removing bits but these are
cranked. I want one without a bend; does such a thing exist?

TIA

Toolstation do a 75mm tile lifter which I was looking at the other day
as I need to lift some tiles (!). *Dunno what the difference is
between one of them and a chisel - probably how pointy they are.

The clue is in the original post, that you even quoted.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 17, 3:53*pm, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of a large sds chisel bit?

About 40mm seems to be the widest for "standard" sds and sds-max seems
to be used for anything wider.

There are plenty of 75mm wide tile removing bits but these are
cranked. I want one without a bend; does such a thing exist?

TIA

If memory's working today, there is or was one in a set of a dozen or
so sds chisel & drill bits made by silverline, and stocked by
toolsatan.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 15:53:45 +0000, Fred
wrote:

There are plenty of 75mm wide tile removing bits but these are
cranked. I want one without a bend; does such a thing exist?

Armeg make them as part of their box-sinking kit. It should be
available seperately...
http://www.armeg.com/electrical-box-sinker-tools.asp

On the list you can find it...
EBS.BSC.HM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 16:22:13 +0000, wrote:

Armeg make them as part of their box-sinking kit. It should be
available seperately...
http://www.armeg.com/electrical-box-sinker-tools.asp

On the list you can find it...
EBS.BSC.HM