Doug Miller

Default Bye-bye, chisel!

Got a new range hood for the kitchen. I'm up in the attic trying to run
the exhaust vent. There's a 2x6 cleat hanging over the top plate of the wall,
that's in the way of running the duct. No prob. I'll just split the excess off
with a chisel, right?

So I go down to the workshop... this is a rough carpentry job, so I pick up
one of the old beat-up Craftsman chisels and head back to the attic, where I
reach through the access door and lay the hammer and chisel down on the board
that I had previously laid across the joists, and climb through. As I step on
the board, I jostle it slightly... and the chisel rolls off the board, into
the soffit above the cabinets, bounces once, and drops seven feet down inside
the wall.

Bye, bye.

The irony is that my good chisels have flats on the handles, and won't roll.
If I'd used one of those, I'd still have it. :-(

--
Regards,

John Grossbohlin

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

So I go down to the workshop... this is a rough carpentry job, so I pick

up
one of the old beat-up Craftsman chisels and head back to the attic, where

reach through the access door and lay the hammer and chisel down on the

board
that I had previously laid across the joists, and climb through. As I step

on
the board, I jostle it slightly... and the chisel rolls off the board,

into
the soffit above the cabinets, bounces once, and drops seven feet down

inside
the wall.

I kind of enjoy finding tools lost in walls, in cement blocks, under
cabinets, etc., when I do remodeling... Free Tools! ;-)

John

pray4surf

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
: Got a new range hood for the kitchen. I'm up in the attic trying to run
: the exhaust vent.
Snip lost tool story... but commenting on JG's finding tools, all I've ever
found in my current house was beer and 7-up bottles. Did a demo in an old
seaside bar in my younger days, still have pool balls, etc. Holes (from
fights?) patched by stuffing newspaper for backing. Some dated in the early
fifties..

Doug - other than installing, are you doing any of the hood construction?

I'm trying - www.nctimes.net/~pray/House.htm

Rick

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
Doug Miller wrote:
Got a new range hood for the kitchen. I'm up in the attic trying to run
the exhaust vent. There's a 2x6 cleat hanging over the top plate of the wall,
that's in the way of running the duct. No prob. I'll just split the excess off
with a chisel, right?

So I go down to the workshop... this is a rough carpentry job, so I pick up
one of the old beat-up Craftsman chisels and head back to the attic, where I
reach through the access door and lay the hammer and chisel down on the board
that I had previously laid across the joists, and climb through. As I step on
the board, I jostle it slightly... and the chisel rolls off the board, into
the soffit above the cabinets, bounces once, and drops seven feet down inside
the wall.

Bye, bye.

Fishing time -- magnet on a string. no problem. grin

patrick conroy

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...

the board, I jostle it slightly... and the chisel rolls off the board,
into
the soffit above the cabinets, bounces once, and drops seven feet down
inside
the wall.

Consider it a 'dorkers version of a Time Capsule.

Ba r r y

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:59:40 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...

the board, I jostle it slightly... and the chisel rolls off the board,
into
the soffit above the cabinets, bounces once, and drops seven feet down
inside
the wall.

Consider it a 'dorkers version of a Time Capsule.

Some day it'll sell for $2000 on eBay. G

Barry

Silvan

pray4surf wrote:

Snip lost tool story... but commenting on JG's finding tools, all I've
ever found in my current house was beer and 7-up bottles. Did a demo in an

I have a small fortune in collectible old fashioned Budweiser cans in my
walls and other out of the way nooks.

No wonder this house was built so poorly.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
John Grossbohlin

"Silvan" wrote in message
pray4surf wrote:

Snip lost tool story... but commenting on JG's finding tools, all I've
ever found in my current house was beer and 7-up bottles. Did a demo in

an

I have a small fortune in collectible old fashioned Budweiser cans in my
walls and other out of the way nooks.

I recall cutting through a block wall in my parent's house and finding
Schafer beer cans... with can opener punched holes. Must be a 50s-60s thing.
;-)

Doug Miller

In article , "pray4surf" wrote:

Doug - other than installing, are you doing any of the hood construction?

Nope, just installing an off-the-shelf Maytag unit.

I'm trying - www.nctimes.net/~pray/House.htm

You may be more ambitious than I am. What type of skin are you putting over
that?

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , "patrick conroy" wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.com...

the board, I jostle it slightly... and the chisel rolls off the board,
into
the soffit above the cabinets, bounces once, and drops seven feet down
inside
the wall.

Consider it a 'dorkers version of a Time Capsule.

Left one of those in our previous house, too... 1" spade drill bit that time.

--
Regards,

Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
"John Grossbohlin" wrote:

I have a small fortune in collectible old fashioned Budweiser cans in my
walls and other out of the way nooks.

I recall cutting through a block wall in my parent's house and finding
Schafer beer cans... with can opener punched holes. Must be a 50s-60s thing.

While rebuilding our bathtub surround wall I found a '50's-'60's looking
plaid cap - not a baseball style, more of a cylindrical shape with a
short bill. I examined it and then replaced it where I'd found it - I
figured, 'twernt mine to remove.

There was a story this summer here in the Portland, Oregon area about a
guy working on the ceiling of his c.1920's dining room. If I recall, he
had pulled the ceiling light and had enlarged the hole for some reason.
Stuck his head up there to take a look around and came face to face with
a human skull. After an investigation and forensic testing, it was
determined to be someone from a native NW tribe c.1800's. Perhaps grave
robbed and obtained in the days when such acts weren't unlawful. One of
the tribes accepted the skull and buried it after a ceremony.

____

as 100% Americanism." -- Huey P. Long
pray4surf

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
: "pray4surf" wrote:
:
:
: Doug - other than installing, are you doing any of the hood construction?
:
: Nope, just installing an off-the-shelf Maytag unit.
:
: I'm trying - www.nctimes.net/~pray/House.htm
:
: You may be more ambitious than I am. What type of skin are you putting
over
: that?
:

1/8" luaun ply followed by 1/4" drywall. - I'm at odds with what to cover
the exposed bottom...

Rick