Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower costs

I know some members of this group have a head for counting kilowatt
hours and the like, so here is a question on shower running costs:

Assuming daily use of the shower, which would be more expensive to run
- a 9.5 kW electric shower using mains electricity, or a mains
pressure shower using bottled gas via a combi boiler? I know I haven't
given the local cost of either fuel, but please assume typical costs.

This will help determine which I install in the new shower room
upstairs.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 10:51 am, geraldthehamster wrote:
I know some members of this group have a head for counting kilowatt
hours and the like, so here is a question on shower running costs:

Assuming daily use of the shower, which would be more expensive to run
- a 9.5 kW electric shower using mains electricity, or a mains
pressure shower using bottled gas via a combi boiler? I know I haven't
given the local cost of either fuel, but please assume typical costs.

This will help determine which I install in the new shower room
upstairs.

Cheers
Richard

can't beleive whatever difference there is would be worth the
inconvenience when you've run out of gas...

also mains pressure will shurely use (and ergo heat) more water per
minute than a 9.5kw elecy?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geraldthehamster wrote:
I know some members of this group have a head for counting kilowatt
hours and the like, so here is a question on shower running costs:

Assuming daily use of the shower, which would be more expensive to run
- a 9.5 kW electric shower using mains electricity, or a mains
pressure shower using bottled gas via a combi boiler? I know I haven't
given the local cost of either fuel, but please assume typical costs.

This will help determine which I install in the new shower room
upstairs.

My totally non-scientific gut feeling is that the electric shower will
be cheaper to run. The other issue is that bottled/tanked gas is
probably going to go up in price faster than electricity.

.... are shower *running* costs that significant compared with the
overall energy costs for a house?

I look forward to seeing properly calculated answers.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 03:01:22 -0800 (PST)
Jim K wrote:

also mains pressure will shurely use (and ergo heat) more water per
minute than a 9.5kw elecy?

.... and the more feeble flow of an electric shower compared to a good
flow of mains hot water will probably mean that you spend less time in
the shower which would further reduce the costs.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim wrote:

also mains pressure will shurely use (and ergo heat) more water per
minute than a 9.5kw elecy?

... and the more feeble flow of an electric shower compared to a good
flow of mains hot water will probably mean that you spend less time in
the shower which would further reduce the costs.

Without wishing to burden anyone with the finer points of my ablution
routine, I find myself spending ages longer in the electric shower I'm
now left to use becasue of rinsing.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2012 11:29, wrote:
wrote:
I know some members of this group have a head for counting kilowatt
hours and the like, so here is a question on shower running costs:

Assuming daily use of the shower, which would be more expensive to run
- a 9.5 kW electric shower using mains electricity, or a mains
pressure shower using bottled gas via a combi boiler? I know I haven't
given the local cost of either fuel, but please assume typical costs.

This will help determine which I install in the new shower room
upstairs.

My totally non-scientific gut feeling is that the electric shower will
be cheaper to run. The other issue is that bottled/tanked gas is
probably going to go up in price faster than electricity.

... are shower *running* costs that significant compared with the
overall energy costs for a house?

I look forward to seeing properly calculated answers.

If you take a 10kW shower, it will use 10kWh in an hour... so at today's
prices anything from £1 to getting close to £2 depending on tariff etc.

At a 35 degree temperature rise that will be around 4 lpm.

Lets say the mixer shower delivers double that, and the boiler is 90%
efficient, you would need 22kWh of gas for the same duration

You now need to make the adjustments for how many hours/week are spent
in the shower, allowing for the different flow rates, and what your
bottled gas is costing.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 02:51:29 -0800 (PST), geraldthehamster wrote:

Assuming daily use of the shower, which would be more expensive to run
- a 9.5 kW electric shower using mains electricity, or a mains
pressure shower using bottled gas via a combi boiler?

By "bottled gas" do you mean gas supplied in large orange bottles or
bulk LPG? Does the combi already exist?

Actual running costs bulk LPG is probably cheaper ATM. But LPG prices
are only going to go up and I agree with another poster they are
likely to rise faster than electricity.

But running costs are not the whole story. 9.5kW is only going to
give you 4l/min not great, a small combi (25kW) will give you 10/l
min. If the combi and bulk LPG already exist you'll get a better
result using those rather than a lecky shower.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 5:36*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
[...]

There will be more "waste/losses" with the combi boiler too, depending
on how far from the shower it is.
Also will depend if the boiler is already running for heating or not
ie preheated..
Too many variables to be sure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2012 10:51, geraldthehamster wrote:
I know some members of this group have a head for counting kilowatt
hours and the like, so here is a question on shower running costs:

Assuming daily use of the shower, which would be more expensive to run
- a 9.5 kW electric shower using mains electricity, or a mains
pressure shower using bottled gas via a combi boiler? I know I haven't
given the local cost of either fuel, but please assume typical costs.

This will help determine which I install in the new shower room
upstairs.

Cheers
Richard

Hang the cost - the differences will be minimal anyway - go for
something which delivers a decent water flow, which a 9.5kW electric
shower will *never* do.

My preference would be to use a stored hot water system - either vented,
with a booster pump, or unvented (mains pressure) - but you don't seem
to have considered that option.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 11:20*pm, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Thanks everyone for your replies. We already have the combi, which is
driven by bottled gas delivered in large bottles, as we have no mains
gas in these parts.

I've mostly been persuaded by the purported superior performance of a
mains pressure shower, and the fact that SWMBO might spend less time
in it anyway, with better flow. It's also simpler for me to fit, as
the water supply is adjacent and the electric isn't.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 8, 5:36 pm, geraldthehamster wrote:
[...]

odd - seeing as you started off asking abt rel. costs.. not
performance ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 9, 9:42*am, Jim K wrote:
[...]

Jim K- Hide quoted text -

I didn't get any specific answers on typical costs, but I did get
suggestions that the difference in cost could be marginal, and offset
by her spending less time in it. Hence my deciding to give greater
weight to performance issues. HTH ;-)

Cheers
Richard

boiler costs - rough costs / options dirt dibbler UK diy 1 July 5th 07 10:39 AM
Electricity costs Staffbull UK diy 44 February 6th 07 11:31 AM
A/C COSTS Home Repair 20 July 25th 05 03:45 PM
renovation costs [email protected] UK diy 9 July 1st 05 11:01 PM
Gas log costs? ? ? Ray Home Repair 10 January 28th 05 03:22 PM