Default renovation costs

We're looking at an old 3 bed Victorian Terrace in need of
modernisation.
We reckon it needs a fair bit doing- here's the list:

Replacement floors to ground floor
Timber preservation treatment
Repointing
Rewiring
Replumbing
Central heating
New bathroom and toilet
New window to bathroom
New kitchen
Replacement windows to rear kitchen
Conversion of rear utility room to shower / wc.
Landscaping of front and rear gardens
Rebuilding of garden boundary walls front and rear
Damp proof course /replastering
New ceilings to first floor rooms
Redecoration throughout
Structural reinforcement of cellar walls

2 builders we've spoken to have estimated between =A350 & 60k for the
work but we think it could be more - (working on the principle that old
houses always bring surprises). We plan on doing some of the work
ourselves and we think it's got real potential to be a lovely home but
could also be a money pit. Being novices any opinions on the realism of
these estimates gratefully received.
TIA

tony sayer

2 builders we've spoken to have estimated between £50 & 60k for the
work but we think it could be more - (working on the principle that old
houses always bring surprises). We plan on doing some of the work
ourselves and we think it's got real potential to be a lovely home but
could also be a money pit. Being novices any opinions on the realism of
these estimates gratefully received.
TIA

Can't really help you that much, but you can guarantee that it will cost
around 15 to 20 per cent more of whatever you originally budgeted
for!,....

--
Tony Sayer

[...]

projects always go over time and overbudget, especially if youre a
novice.
ensure purchase price reflects work cost, or you end up out of pocket
as well as inconvenienced
also budget for months of your time, during which you wont have time
for a paid job.

get 1 room livable, plus woeking bog and bath, otherwise its real
stressful.

Finally if youre willing to take in the rougher kind of lodgers you
might get some of it done for free in exchange.

Oh, DPCs are rarely an appropriate solution to damp in Vic houses.
Suggest doing some reading:
http://www.periodproperty.co.uk/cgi-...sing/forum2.pl

NT

Oliver

Ok not the same but this was for the south east, I estimated we would spend
about 10k and its gone upto 11k. The house was a 3 bed terrace bout 1960s so
not victorian, need new central heating new kitchen new windows new bathroom
suite, new flooring (Not boards, but tiles/ carpet) oh and new wiring.

Admitefly I did most the work except the windows and heating myself so
bought the cost down

My bro had repointing done to the front of his house, was a semi thre bed
victorian house that cost him 1000 pluse scafolding
All in all I would say your looking at 30k or more depending on quality and
how much you do yourself but get yourself a builder to quote you on the work

Oliver

ok so just re read the post was meant to put 60k not 30, I would have the
house if it need 30k spending on it

AlexW

[...]

Hmm ... some of that sounds familiar.

Its difficult to comment on the quotes but I have found that above
whatever is agreed with a builder and any extras you ask for along the
way, the little things (sealant, paint, screws etc) tend to add up quite
a bit very quietly.

As an aside, from your original question one of the things I wish I had
considered more carefully is the what to repair and what to replace.
There are things in my house that I now wish I had ripped out and
started afresh. One the other hand there may be things you'll regret
removing later.

Also, some of the builders I have spoken too will lead you by the nose
(and make you pay for it!) and others who will do precisley what you say
no matter where it leads, even if there are better and cheaper solutions
to things.

HTH,

Alex.

Mike

wrote in message
oups.com...
We're looking at an old 3 bed Victorian Terrace in need of modernisation.
We reckon it needs a fair bit doing- here's the list:

snip long list

2 builders we've spoken to have estimated between £50 & 60k for the

work but we think it could be more -

It will be. Also the fact you are actually seeing this house may mean that
the usual professional developers have passed up on it as overpriced. Think
VERY carefully before proceeding.

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
2 builders we've spoken to have estimated between £50 & 60k for the
work but we think it could be more - (working on the principle that old
houses always bring surprises). We plan on doing some of the work
ourselves and we think it's got real potential to be a lovely home but
could also be a money pit. Being novices any opinions on the realism of
these estimates gratefully received.

I'd recommend finding a local pro - perhaps an architect or structural
engineer - who knows the area well. And ask for his recommendations as to
what actually needs doing. You might even try your local council BCO.
Really, a sort of clerk of works who could say whether an estimate is
decent and supervise that it's done to spec.

Of course a good honest builder would be the ideal. But if you're new to
the area, finding one can be difficult.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Building costs guidelines chris French UK diy 7 October 10th 04 10:15 PM
Rebuilding costs Lobster UK diy 5 October 9th 04 11:35 AM
How reduce heating costs this winter [email protected] Home Ownership 30 October 4th 04 07:12 PM
Reducing closing costs: Seller Concessions, point write-off? Matt Home Ownership 0 February 1st 04 12:47 AM
Help!!! which mortgage bank gives load including closing costs when buying a new home? Santa Home Ownership 0 July 6th 03 05:29 AM