Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Default *Domestic* rateable value

Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a property in
England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been contacted,
and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Jan 3, 4:04*pm, Jethro wrote:
Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a property in
England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been contacted,
and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.

If by "the local council" you mean only the valuation department, try
reference libraries, as they often have historic valuation lists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

In article ,
Jethro wrote:
Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a property in
England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been contacted,
and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.

Ask a few neighbours?

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a property
in England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been contacted,
and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.

Many local authorities passed their 1973 valuation lists to their
archives. If you have not gone direct to the archives I suggest you
start there as they are more likely to know what they have than people
who deal with current business such as council tax.

Birmingham (assuming I worked out your posting address properly) have an
online catalogue but it is not complete so I'd call in or email them.

--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

Fred wrote:
On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:04:19 GMT, Jethro
wrote:

Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a
property in England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been
contacted, and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.

Funny you should mention that. We have a water meter, I knew we
couldn't have it removed but I was curious what we would be paying if
we were unmetered. I contacted the water company and they claimed they
did not know. I would have thought they would have had to keep records
for 6 years or some length of time?

Why? Just to answer damn fool hypothetical question from someone to
whom it doesn't apply?

I don't know why they couldn't look at a neighbouring property of the
same size.

Because it wouldn't necessarily be the same. And because it's a damn
fool hypothetical question in which they have no interest whatsoever.

I did ask a neighbour, whom I knew paid rates, how much he
paid but he said he did not know. I didn't understand this but I
decided he didn't want to be asked so I never pushed it further.

It would be on his bill.

Which is probably higher than it should be due to the number of damn
fool hypothetical questions they keep having to fend off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 16:04:19 +0000, Jethro wrote:

Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a property in
England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been contacted,
and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.

A polite and detailed letter to the water company has elicited the
(presumably) correct value.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Wed, 04 Jan 2012 21:06:11 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a property
in England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been contacted,
and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.

Funny you should mention that. We have a water meter, I knew we
couldn't have it removed but I was curious what we would be paying if
we were unmetered. I contacted the water company and they claimed they
did not know.

Odd. We went on a meter a year ago and on the first bill (IIRC) it said
we could switch back to paying on rateable value if we wanted to.

When we switched to a meter, we were told that we could revert in the
first year, but after that - forget it. Coincidentally, the in-laws, who
moved into a house with a water meter at the same time were told they had
to lump it - the meter stays
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

wrote:

Is there any way to discover the (last) rateable value for a property
in England.

Let's pretend the local council and water company have been contacted,
and claim not to have any record of it, just for fun.

Funny you should mention that. We have a water meter, I knew we
couldn't have it removed but I was curious what we would be paying if
we were unmetered. I contacted the water company and they claimed they
did not know.

Odd. We went on a meter a year ago and on the first bill (IIRC) it said
we could switch back to paying on rateable value if we wanted to.

When we switched to a meter, we were told that we could revert in the
first year, but after that - forget it. Coincidentally, the in-laws, who
moved into a house with a water meter at the same time were told they had
to lump it - the meter stays

Once the house is sold the new owner has to use the meter.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:25:41 -0800 (PST), Jonathan
wrote:

When we switched to a meter, we were told that we could revert in the
first year, but after that - forget it. Coincidentally, the in-laws, who
moved into a house with a water meter at the same time were told they had
to lump it - the meter stays

Once the house is sold the new owner has to use the meter.

Hi,

Just to second the above replies we were told if you have the meter
installed you only get one year to change your mind; after a year you
are stuck with it and as above if you buy a house with a meter you are
stuck with that too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.legal

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 20:11:20 -0000, "Norman Wells"
wrote:

Why? Just to answer damn fool hypothetical question from someone to
whom it doesn't apply?

Because it wouldn't necessarily be the same. And because it's a damn
fool hypothetical question in which they have no interest whatsoever.

Which is probably higher than it should be due to the number of damn
fool hypothetical questions they keep having to fend off.

I can't help wondering... do you make a living being a ******?

Domestic windmills put to bed. EricP UK diy 71 September 11th 08 09:49 PM
domestic flooring [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 13th 07 08:32 AM
domestic gas bill dtechy UK diy 39 April 2nd 07 07:41 PM
OT - That rateable value thing again. ben UK diy 7 September 9th 05 02:09 PM
Domestic CHP Neil Jones UK diy 8 January 1st 04 02:50 PM