Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Xmas tree bulbs - web recommendation?

Anyone able to recommend a good website for Xmas tree bulbs? I need to get
some for a 40 and 20 bulb set - should be fun as I have no idea where the
sets came from so ideally I need a site which shows the bulb ends (and some
luck!).

Thanks,
Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Paul D Smith" writes:
Anyone able to recommend a good website for Xmas tree bulbs? I need to get
some for a 40 and 20 bulb set - should be fun as I have no idea where the
sets came from so ideally I need a site which shows the bulb ends (and some
luck!).

Difficult, as you need to know the current and/or power rating too.
If you don't have the original ratings (e.g. on the box), you'll
have to measure it.

Cheapest way is to buy a set after Christmas, and for filament lamp
sets, buy a few identical sets, at least one to be sacrificial for
the bulbs only. Often, a whole set is costs less than 3 spare bulbs
after Christmas.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

....snip...

Cheapest way is to buy a set after Christmas, and for filament lamp
sets, buy a few identical sets, at least one to be sacrificial for
the bulbs only. Often, a whole set is costs less than 3 spare bulbs
after Christmas.

Nice tip, especially the "buy a whole set"!

Paul DS.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:27:29 -0000, Paul D Smith wrote:

Anyone able to recommend a good website for Xmas tree bulbs?

There is one that I've used lists all the type with ratings etc.
Doesn't do *all* variations but does an awful lot.

http://www.nomadirect.co.uk/

You'll have to dig a bit if you don't know the "consumer code".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 12:27:29 -0000, Paul D Smith
wrote:

Anyone able to recommend a good website for Xmas tree bulbs? I need to
get some for a 40 and 20 bulb set - should be fun as I have no idea
where the sets came from so ideally I need a site which shows the bulb
ends (and some luck!).

Thanks,
Paul DS.

I hate throwing anything away but LED sets are now pretty cheap, use less
power and allegedly last longer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Anyone able to recommend a good website for Xmas tree bulbs? I need to
get some for a 40 and 20 bulb set - should be fun as I have no idea
where the sets came from so ideally I need a site which shows the bulb
ends (and some luck!).

Thanks,
Paul DS.

I hate throwing anything away but LED sets are now pretty cheap, use less
power and allegedly last longer.

and don't look nearly as nice - in my opinion

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 13:10:34 -0000, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

...snip...

Cheapest way is to buy a set after Christmas, and for filament lamp
sets, buy a few identical sets, at least one to be sacrificial for
the bulbs only. Often, a whole set is costs less than 3 spare bulbs
after Christmas.

Nice tip, especially the "buy a whole set"!

Paul DS.

Like buying an inkjet printer. Buy three or four at £30. When the
tanks run out, skip the printer and install a new one, cheaper than
the £40 for the new tanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 19:34:08 +0000, Ericp wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 13:10:34 -0000, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

...snip...

Cheapest way is to buy a set after Christmas, and for filament lamp
sets, buy a few identical sets, at least one to be sacrificial for the
bulbs only. Often, a whole set is costs less than 3 spare bulbs after
Christmas.

Nice tip, especially the "buy a whole set"!

Paul DS.

Like buying an inkjet printer. Buy three or four at £30. When the tanks
run out, skip the printer and install a new one, cheaper than the £40
for the new tanks.

Which is OK unless the new printers are fitted with 'demo' tanks with not
much ink in them.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Ericp writes:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 13:10:34 -0000, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

...snip...

Cheapest way is to buy a set after Christmas, and for filament lamp
sets, buy a few identical sets, at least one to be sacrificial for
the bulbs only. Often, a whole set is costs less than 3 spare bulbs
after Christmas.

Nice tip, especially the "buy a whole set"!

Paul DS.

Like buying an inkjet printer. Buy three or four at £30. When the
tanks run out, skip the printer and install a new one, cheaper than
the £40 for the new tanks.

They got wise to that one, which is why new printers come with
special (nearly empty) ink cartridges.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ericp wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 13:10:34 -0000, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

...snip...

Cheapest way is to buy a set after Christmas, and for filament lamp
sets, buy a few identical sets, at least one to be sacrificial for
the bulbs only. Often, a whole set is costs less than 3 spare bulbs
after Christmas.

Nice tip, especially the "buy a whole set"!

Paul DS.

Like buying an inkjet printer. Buy three or four at £30. When the
tanks run out, skip the printer and install a new one, cheaper than
the £40 for the new tanks.

A cunning plan with just two minor flaws. Firstly starting up a new
printer takes a lot of ink. As much as half a tank on some models.
Secondly all of the manufacturers supply "light" tanks with the printers
that have a much smaller ink load than the one sold in the retail packs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

They got wise to that one, which is why new printers come with
special (nearly empty) ink cartridges.

Mine didn't, you still don't get as many pages out of the first set because
it has to fill all the pipes and stuff first.
With a cheap printer using ~2ml cartridges there won't be much left even if
the were full size.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 3, 2:32*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 12:27:29 -0000, Paul D Smith wrote:
Anyone able to recommend a good website for Xmas tree bulbs?

There is one that I've used lists all the type with ratings etc.
Doesn't do *all* variations but does an awful lot.

http://www.nomadirect.co.uk/

You'll have to dig a bit if you don't know the "consumer code".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Looked at that website and found that it has the same thing, but with
a different numbering system from the ones I did identify on Ebay as
being what I wanted - and then found were subtly different - many
thanks to John Lewis for stocking lights which are non-standard!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo
ups.com, robgraham escribió:

many
thanks to John Lewis for stocking lights which are non-standard!

"The nice thing about standards is that there's so many to choose from".

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:57:25 +0000, charles wrote:

In article op.v7il1nvngtk8fg@admin-pc,

I hate throwing anything away but LED sets are now pretty cheap, use
less power and allegedly last longer.

and don't look nearly as nice - in my opinion

YMMV: I bought some from CPC just before xmas: a set of 120 (LP0399975)
which has very nice saturated red, green, yellow and blue LEDs, a set of
100 warm white LEDs (LP0400375) which are a bit cooler than the
incandescents I've already got but look OK in isolation, and a lovely set
of 'berry' lights (LP0420975) with 2 slightly different sizes of
translucent plastic balls on coloured LEDs giving pastel colour red
yellow green and blues which you simply couldn't get from filament lamps.
I'm very pleased with them, especially as most of the LED sets I've seen
other people using (especially flashing ones) have looked ghastly (to me).

--
John Stumbles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:57:25 +0000, charles wrote:

In article op.v7il1nvngtk8fg@admin-pc,

I hate throwing anything away but LED sets are now pretty cheap, use
less power and allegedly last longer.

and don't look nearly as nice - in my opinion

YMMV: I bought some from CPC just before xmas: a set of 120 (LP0399975)
which has very nice saturated red, green, yellow and blue LEDs, a set of
100 warm white LEDs (LP0400375) which are a bit cooler than the
incandescents I've already got but look OK in isolation,

We've got some coloured LED ones on the kids tree, which are ok, though
a bit to 'pin points of light' but really we prefer white (well
incandescent white) ones.

did get some warm white LED ones in B&Q this year for the stairs and
they are as you say, pretty close. They seem to have a plastic 'lense'
over the end of the LED to give a more bulb type look to the lights.
I've got 2 sets and a spare of incandescents for the main tree, which
I'm hoping will last until the LED ones are good enough to replace them

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

The set on the tree in my hall (for which I have purchased bulbs from Noma)
came from ... John Lewis.

Actually, I meant to thank you for the link. Noma have the C1 bulbs I
need. They're more expensive on eBay and in Wilkinson's.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 03 Jan 2012 15:45:13 -0000, "Hugh - Was Invisible"
wrote:

I hate throwing anything away but LED sets are now pretty cheap, use less
power and allegedly last longer.

....or would if they were waterproof. We put a set outside at the start
of December and take them down on or about the 6th January. We've done
this for the last five years or thereabout. Each year by the time
January comes a few leds have failed due to water ingress. In some
cases you can see rust beneath the heat shrink. We have replaced the
sets more or less each year (four sets in five years iirc).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I hate throwing anything away but LED sets are now pretty cheap, use
less
power and allegedly last longer.

...or would if they were waterproof. We put a set outside at the start
of December and take them down on or about the 6th January. We've done
this for the last five years or thereabout. Each year by the time
January comes a few leds have failed due to water ingress. In some
cases you can see rust beneath the heat shrink. We have replaced the
sets more or less each year (four sets in five years iirc).

Our icicle lights have managed about 15 weeks over the last 3 years.
Haven't noticed any failures or problems. Cheap as chip from Wilkinsons I
believe. Smaller set we use indoors are fine.
Older set of indoor filament bulbs have the occasional failure. One of the
fuse bulbs failed in December for no apparent reason. Fortunately they
came with quite a few spares.

Xmas tree lights Rick Hughes UK diy 15 December 14th 08 02:51 PM
Fuses on Xmas tree lights Timothy Murphy UK diy 25 November 12th 06 05:24 PM
XMas tree lights? Jeez dean Home Repair 1 January 9th 06 03:19 PM
XMas tree lights? Jeez dean Home Repair 0 January 8th 06 06:07 PM
Where can I cut down a fresh xmas tree? Cordless Crazy UK diy 26 December 7th 05 04:55 PM