Posted to alt.home.repair
dean

Default XMas tree lights? Jeez

Ok, I MUST be missing the point here. I bought a $200 tree from
Fortunoff just before XMas, and now one or two of the 10 strings of
lights built into the tree are out.

Now it did say when ONE goes out, they dont ALL go out in the strings.
But that is really just annoying BS. When two or more go out, how can
you find which ones? Each one is tightly stuck in the holder, is buried
within the tree branches, and it would take me all day to take each one
out and test or replace it with another.

Tree is going STRAIGHT BACK to fortunoff this weekend, unless someone
here can (pun) show me the light.

Thanks

Dean

Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd

On 8 Jan 2006 03:05:35 -0800, "dean" wrote:

Ok, I MUST be missing the point here. I bought a $200 tree from
Fortunoff just before XMas, and now one or two of the 10 strings of
lights built into the tree are out.

Now it did say when ONE goes out, they dont ALL go out in the strings.
But that is really just annoying BS. When two or more go out, how can
you find which ones? Each one is tightly stuck in the holder, is buried
within the tree branches, and it would take me all day to take each one
out and test or replace it with another.

Tree is going STRAIGHT BACK to fortunoff this weekend, unless someone
here can (pun) show me the light.

Thanks

Dean

Series-wired lights can be tested easily if you know how they're
connected electrically. A string will have 120V at one end and 0V at
the other. If they're working, the voltage drops gradually along the
string. If one (or more) are out, you will see 120V at the way until
you get to the bad one.

That's how you can use a non-contact voltage detector (including those
"Christmas light testers" Wal-Mart sold for $4.95).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

repairing a tree with hole in it Danny Home Repair 8 October 10th 04 02:01 PM
unfortunate Lazarus Long Woodworking 32 April 20th 04 02:44 PM
xmas lights voltage/wattage steve UK diy 13 January 1st 04 05:51 PM
Bathroom lights - what's allowed/required? [email protected] UK diy 16 October 15th 03 11:26 PM
Tree identification. Al Kyder Woodturning 2 September 17th 03 05:13 PM