Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ending a TightVNC session in Windows??

I use VNC to take control of remote desktops round the site, but those
running Windows 7 won't run 'RealVNC' but will run 'TightVNC'. Works well
but how the heck are you supposed to terminate a session when finished.
Using 'RealVNC' F8 brings up a menu allowing you to terminate the session
but I cannot find the equivilent in 'TightVNC'. Nor can I find it in the
documentation (I can find the UNIX command but not Windows)

refs:
realvnc.com
tightvnc.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:04:28 -0000, Andrew Mawson
wrote:

I use VNC to take control of remote desktops round the site, but those
running Windows 7 won't run 'RealVNC' but will run 'TightVNC'. Works
well but how the heck are you supposed to terminate a session when
finished. Using 'RealVNC' F8 brings up a menu allowing you to terminate
the session but I cannot find the equivilent in 'TightVNC'. Nor can I
find it in the documentation (I can find the UNIX command but not
Windows)

refs:
realvnc.com
tightvnc.com

RealVNC Personal Edition works, I believe.

Or use something else such as LogMeIn.

But I think the answer is that you can right-click on the frame of the
session and choose various options including some sort of disconnect.
Mind, I use so many different combinations I might be getting confused...
:-) Or just close the window.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

I use VNC to take control of remote desktops round the site, but those
running Windows 7 won't run 'RealVNC' but will run 'TightVNC'. Works
well but how the heck are you supposed to terminate a session when
finished. Using 'RealVNC' F8 brings up a menu allowing you to terminate
the session but I cannot find the equivilent in 'TightVNC'. Nor can I
find it in the documentation (I can find the UNIX command but not Windows)

I've only used RealVNC viewer on Win7 64bit, but to close the session,
just exit the viewer client always works fine, closes TCP connection
cleanly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
I use VNC to take control of remote desktops round the site, but those
running Windows 7 won't run 'RealVNC' but will run 'TightVNC'. Works
well but how the heck are you supposed to terminate a session when
finished. Using 'RealVNC' F8 brings up a menu allowing you to terminate
the session but I cannot find the equivilent in 'TightVNC'. Nor can I
find it in the documentation (I can find the UNIX command but not Windows)

Why not just use remote desktop, or am I missing something?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson :
I use VNC to take control of remote desktops round the site, but those
running Windows 7 won't run 'RealVNC' but will run 'TightVNC'.

AAMOI I run RealVNC on W7, no problem.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

I use VNC to take control of remote desktops round the site, but
those running Windows 7 won't run 'RealVNC' but will run 'TightVNC'.
Works well but how the heck are you supposed to terminate a session
when finished. Using 'RealVNC' F8 brings up a menu allowing you to
terminate the session but I cannot find the equivilent in 'TightVNC'.
Nor can I find it in the documentation (I can find the UNIX command
but not Windows)

refs:
realvnc.com
tightvnc.com

Just closing the window works .. but realVNC works fine and is more
stable, on our network, a mixture of W7 64bit ultimate, W7 32bit
ultimate and XP Pro, three desktops, three laptops.

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 21:20:17 -0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Andrew Mawson
writes
I use VNC to take control of remote desktops round the site, but those
running Windows 7 won't run 'RealVNC' but will run 'TightVNC'. Works
well but how the heck are you supposed to terminate a session when
finished. Using 'RealVNC' F8 brings up a menu allowing you to terminate
the session but I cannot find the equivilent in 'TightVNC'. Nor can I
find it in the documentation (I can find the UNIX command but not
Windows)

Why not just use remote desktop, or am I missing something?

Geoff,

I simply assumed there was a reason. Like the remote machines have no
password. But I'd be hard put to choose any form of VNC over RDP if there
is no technical limitation.

--
Rod