Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rodent Relief

Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been hearing
scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house, convinced it was
rats because any mice we've had in the past have been tiny, and these
noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the morning!). So I stuck a
peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced) up in the
attic and within the hour I'd got...either a large mouse or a small
rat. It's mid-brown, got a body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail
about the same length, so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have
hairless tails. But could it be a juvenile rat?

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:
Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been hearing
scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house, convinced it was
rats because any mice we've had in the past have been tiny, and these
noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the morning!). So I stuck a
peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced) up in the
attic and within the hour I'd got...either a large mouse or a small
rat. It's mid-brown, got a body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail
about the same length, so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have
hairless tails. But could it be a juvenile rat?

It's a Siberian hamster.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 5:57*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Halmyre wrote:
Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been hearing
scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house, convinced it was
rats because any mice we've had in the past have been tiny, and these
noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the morning!). So I stuck a
peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced) up in the
attic and within the hour I'd got...either a large mouse or a small
rat. It's mid-brown, got a body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail
about the same length, so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have
hairless tails. But could it be a juvenile rat?

It's a Siberian hamster.

It's an ex-hamster...

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Halmyre wrote:
Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been hearing
scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house, convinced it was
rats because any mice we've had in the past have been tiny, and these
noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the morning!). So I stuck a
peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced) up in the
attic and within the hour I'd got...either a large mouse or a small
rat. It's mid-brown, got a body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail
about the same length, so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have
hairless tails. But could it be a juvenile rat?

It's a Siberian hamster.

Has it got a white chest and sand brown fur? If so Wood Mouse or
possibly Yellow Necked Mouse. House mouse 7.5 - 10cm. so you must have
caught papa:-) Otherwise look back to thread on Glis Glis (edible
dormice) greyish with white underside and fluffy tail.

Norwegian rats are grey rather than brown but 4" is big for anything
else.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Halmyre wrote:
[...]

I want photos:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:
On Dec 14, 5:57 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Halmyre wrote:
Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been hearing
scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house, convinced it
was rats because any mice we've had in the past have been tiny, and
these noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the morning!). So I
stuck a peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced)
up in the attic and within the hour I'd got...either a large mouse
or a small rat. It's mid-brown, got a body about 4" long and a
faintly hairy tail about the same length, so I'm guessing it's a
mouse, because rats have hairless tails. But could it be a juvenile
rat?

It's a Siberian hamster.

It's an ex-hamster...

:-)

It probably has lots of friends. Reset the trap.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:41:42 -0000, Halmyre
wrote:

Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been hearing
scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house, convinced it was
rats because any mice we've had in the past have been tiny, and these
noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the morning!). So I stuck a
peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced) up in the
attic and within the hour I'd got...either a large mouse or a small
rat. It's mid-brown, got a body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail
about the same length, so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have
hairless tails. But could it be a juvenile rat?

--
Halmyre

Or a Glis glis?

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th1l.htm

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been hearing
scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house, convinced it was
rats because any mice we've had in the past have been tiny, and these
noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the morning!). So I stuck a
peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced) up in the
attic and within the hour I'd got...either a large mouse or a small
rat. It's mid-brown, got a body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail
about the same length, so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have
hairless tails. But could it be a juvenile rat?

--
Halmyre

Or a Glis glis?

http://www.the-piedpiper.co.uk/th1l.htm

--
Rod

Or a rouse or a mat ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2011 18:39, ARWadsworth wrote:
I want photos:-)

With scale. A couple of coins will do, or a CD case, or anything else
of known size.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 14, 9:21*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
On 14/12/2011 18:39, ARWadsworth wrote:

I want photos:-)

With scale. *A couple of coins will do, or a CD case, or anything else
of known size.

Too late. The wee bugger's double-bagged and in the bin.

--
Halmyre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 15, 9:00*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
You say Rats have hairless tails, well we had a rat once back in the 1960s
that had fur part way down its tail. I'm not sure what this makes it!

Maybe I've killed a rare mouse-rat hybrid and robbed the scientific
world of a major new discovery which would have life-enhancing
benefits to mankind.

OTOH, maybe I've killed the first in a line of a potential new species
that would rise up and enslave the human race.

History will judge me. Either I will go down as the most evil man ever
to walk the planet (after Simon Cowell), or I will have statues
erected in my honour.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Halmyre writes
On Dec 15, 9:00*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
You say Rats have hairless tails, well we had a rat once back in the 1960s
that had fur part way down its tail. I'm not sure what this makes it!

Maybe I've killed a rare mouse-rat hybrid and robbed the scientific
world of a major new discovery which would have life-enhancing
benefits to mankind.

OTOH, maybe I've killed the first in a line of a potential new species
that would rise up and enslave the human race.

History will judge me. Either I will go down as the most evil man ever
to walk the planet (after Simon Cowell), or I will have statues
erected in my honour.

Huh!

For years we suffered each Autumn from Woodmice storing and eating
Walnuts in our loft. Neighbours from hell is nothing compared to
something balancing a nut on a joist and slowly gnawing through the
shell at 11pm!

Trapping was effective but never 100%. Better near the entry point.

The cure was twofold: take down the Walnut tree and extend the house.
The extension closed off the open cavity wall where the garage butted up
to a timber barn.

History may award you a vote of thanks from relieved taxpayers for
reducing the potential burden on the National Health Service:-)

regards

--
Halmyre

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been hearing
scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house, convinced it was
rats because any mice we've had in the past have been tiny, and these
noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the morning!). So I stuck a
peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced) up in the
attic and within the hour I'd got...either a large mouse or a small
rat. It's mid-brown, got a body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail
about the same length, so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have
hairless tails. But could it be a juvenile rat?

Sure it's not a gerbil?

Honestly sounds just like a small/young rat,
rats definitely have hairs on their tails, thick-ish hairs and spread out a
bit, so could well fit your description of a faintly hairy tail, from a
distance they may look to have a pink-ish hairless tail, but up close you'll
notice the hairs, and if you run your hand down a rats tail you will feel
them,

they are to help them climbing things, as they wrap their tails around the
item being climbed, and the hairs pointing downwards act like a one way
devise, allowing them to climb but helping stop them sliding down.

and rat's have a tail very close to the same length as their body,

someone mentioned the norwegian rat, i assume they mean rattus norvegicus
aka the brown rat, this is the standard model rat that lives in the wild
over here, and is the ones pet rats are based on, but they are actually from
china, they were called the norway rat as they came to england on ships from
there,

they vary in colour in the wild but are usually a brownish colour (agouti is
the name for it, brown at the base, but the hairs change colour towards the
tip, can be a white or a black tip, or another shade of the base colour)

He/she is prolly a youngster, so you may have more about somewhere, tho you
wouldent have had mice whilst they were around, so that's one thing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 15, 3:16*pm, "Gazz" wrote:
[...]

Definitely not a pink tail, and no, it's not a bloody gerbil, or a
glis-glis or any other exotic variant of rodent!

It was Monday night that I caught it, and I haven't (touch wood) heard
anything since, so hopefully...

--
Halmyre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:27:24 -0800 (PST), Halmyre wrote:

It was Monday night that I caught it, and I haven't (touch wood) heard
anything since, so hopefully...

If you've had one there will be another or more. Nine from the loft
here so far for this year. Reset that trap and keep checking it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 15/12/2011 20:37, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:27:24 -0800 (PST), Halmyre wrote:

It was Monday night that I caught it, and I haven't (touch wood) heard
anything since, so hopefully...

If you've had one there will be another or more. Nine from the loft
here so far for this year. Reset that trap and keep checking it.

Have caught 4 mice (under the floor) in the last 2 weeks with the
`doesnt kill` traps and let them go a couple of miles down the road.
Still think I have one as the peanut butter disappeared and no mouse in
trap. Mmmm tiling the floor now so hell knows what to do.
Also saw a rat emerge from under the shed and then discovered a hole
which looks like a rat hole. Put the hose in it and after 10 minutes
still wasnt overflowing so hell knows where it goes to, I hope not under
the house, anyhow bought some rat poison and tipped it down the hole, so
hopefully.......

I dont suspect any in the loft but think I will stick a couple of traps
up there just in case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gazz wrote:
Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been
hearing scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house,
convinced it was rats because any mice we've had in the past have
been tiny, and these noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the
morning!). So I stuck a peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap
(Rentokil Advanced) up in the attic and within the hour I'd
got...either a large mouse or a small rat. It's mid-brown, got a
body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail about the same length,
so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have hairless tails.
But could it be a juvenile rat?

Sure it's not a gerbil?

Gerbils and rodent relief?

Do I hear the words "Richard Gere" stomping into view?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 18, 9:19*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Gazz wrote:
Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been
hearing scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house,
convinced it was rats because any mice we've had in the past have
been tiny, and these noises are loud (or so it seems at two in the
morning!). So I stuck a peanut-butter-baited breakneck rat-trap
(Rentokil Advanced) up in the attic and within the hour I'd
got...either a large mouse or a small rat. It's mid-brown, got a
body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail about the same length,
so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have hairless tails.
But could it be a juvenile rat?

Sure it's not a gerbil?

Gerbils and rodent relief?

Do I hear the words "Richard Gere" stomping into view?

Not unless you've got a good lawyer...

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:
On Dec 18, 9:19 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Gazz wrote:
Re the recent posts on mouse bait. For a while now I've been
hearing scuffling noises in the walls and attic of our house,
convinced it was rats because any mice we've had in the past have
been tiny, and these noises are loud (or so it seems at two in
the morning!). So I stuck a peanut-butter-baited breakneck
rat-trap (Rentokil Advanced) up in the attic and within the hour
I'd got...either a large mouse or a small rat. It's mid-brown,
got a body about 4" long and a faintly hairy tail about the same
length, so I'm guessing it's a mouse, because rats have hairless
tails. But could it be a juvenile rat?

Sure it's not a gerbil?

Gerbils and rodent relief?

Do I hear the words "Richard Gere" stomping into view?

Not unless you've got a good lawyer...

I doubt that he reads this newsgroup:-)

--
Adam

Getting Rid Of Rodent Pests The Daring Dufas[_6_] Home Repair 22 April 6th 10 12:34 AM
What (rodent?) did this??? [email protected] Home Repair 2 September 29th 07 02:54 PM
What (rodent?) did this??? [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 29th 07 02:54 PM
Rodent Control HeyBub Home Repair 0 September 19th 07 02:28 PM
Owl helps with rodent control HeyBub Home Repair 2 February 3rd 07 01:48 AM