Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stove blowing plaster off wall

Can anyone suggest a suitable board material to fix tiles, to, and
attach to a wall behind a wood-burning stove?

We had our stove installed earlier this year. It stands in a corner,
on a hearth of 9 inch pammets. The wall behind was re-skimmed not many
weeks before the stove was installed. Although the stove is a good 6
inches from the wall, I noticed last night that the plaster is
cracking, and about to blow off the wall.

I want to avoid removing the stove, so there isn't access to render
the wall. I thought of attaching tiles to a board, sliding the board
behind the stove (there is clear access from one side), and sticking
to the wall with tile adhesive, to cover the damaged area. I imagine
it would be advantageous to fix the tiles to the board with a
cementitious adhesive. Can anyone suggest a suitable material for the
board, or alternatively something I could use without fixing tiles to
it? I don't want it to look too modern, otherwise I'd consider a sheet
of zinc or aluminium.

The plaster is only cracking up to the height of the stove itself, and
not behind the exposed flue pipe. So the solution only has to be the
height of the stove.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geraldthehamster writes:
[...]

I've played a blowlamp on plaster whilst soldering pipework, and
nothing happens to the plaster other than discolouration (didn't
cook it up to red hot though). Not sure what happened in your case.
If it dried before it set, that might explain it, but it sets in a
few hours (assuming gypsom based plaster).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 8:12*am, geraldthehamster wrote:
Can anyone suggest a suitable board material to fix tiles, to, and
attach to a wall behind a wood-burning stove?

Any cement board.
B&Q (www.diy.com) do a Cement Particle Board of 1200x600mm for £14.78,
6mm thick, quite adequate.

Glass masterboard is better, but tends to be bigger & gets expensive
fast.

Such boards are heavy, you can drill & saw but treat with care as they
can fracture. They are better than "that rubbish known as
plasterboard" :-)

inches from the wall, I noticed last night that the plaster is
cracking, and about to blow off the wall.

Moisture behind causing localised cracking.
If the wall is solid or somewhat damp (eg, from water coming down a
chimney) it can blow. If the wall is plaster skim over sand-cement
render which was merely shown the cement bag label then it can be
quite "friable" and separate relatively easily".
A skim without a good PVA bond underneath can crack when heated
because the bond is not so good.

I want to avoid removing the stove, so there isn't access to render
the wall. I thought of attaching tiles to a board, sliding the board
behind the stove (there is clear access from one side), and sticking
to the wall with tile adhesive, to cover the damaged area. I imagine
it would be advantageous to fix the tiles to the board with a
cementitious adhesive. Can anyone suggest a suitable material for the
board, or alternatively something I could use without fixing tiles to
it? I don't want it to look too modern, otherwise I'd consider a sheet
of zinc or aluminium.

Mapei Keraflex will tolerate movement re tiles to cement board.
You could use the cement board on its own, it has a better-than-MDF
look to it and is Class-0 fire rated of itself.

The plaster is only cracking up to the height of the stove itself, and
not behind the exposed flue pipe. So the solution only has to be the
height of the stove.

Is there a broken silica fire brick within the stove, ie, you are
getting a localised hot spot. They get pretty hot anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 1:14*pm, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * geraldthehamster writes:

[...]

[email address is not usable -- followup in the newsgroup]- Hide quoted text -

It's pretty well known, I think, that gypsum plaster isn't up to the
job of withstanding high temperatures for any length of time. That's
the reason we had the stove so far from the wall, but it wasn't far
enough. It's the reason that cement render or lime are recommended for
fireplaces with stoves in.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 2:04*pm, "js.b1" wrote:
[...]

Thanks, cement board is the way to go, then. I don't think anything is
broken. The damage is pretty uniform behind the back of the stove.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I had a similar problem. I now have a sheet of fibre cement board
behind the stove. They have it at builder's merchants. Seems OK.