Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Black Ash" contiboard - still available?

I'd like to add some more shelves in a room which has lots of "Black
Ash" Contiboard shelves. While I have no great love for the stuff it
would be nice to have shelves that match (and sag in the same way!).

I can't find any in Google Shopping - has it been discontinued or is
it now called something else, or what?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 10:49*am, wrote:
I'd like to add some more shelves in a room which has lots of "Black
Ash" Contiboard shelves. *While I have no great love for the stuff it
would be nice to have shelves that match (and sag in the same way!).

I can't find any in Google Shopping - has it been discontinued or is
it now called something else, or what?

--
Chris Green

Long gone AFAIK. Nearest we could find some years back was a matt
black version.

Could possibly use plain mdf and spray paint it matt black

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 10:49 am, wrote:
I'd like to add some more shelves in a room which has lots of "Black
Ash" Contiboard shelves. While I have no great love for the stuff it
would be nice to have shelves that match (and sag in the same way!).

I can't find any in Google Shopping - has it been discontinued or is
it now called something else, or what?

--
Chris Green

Long gone AFAIK. Nearest we could find some years back was a matt
black version.

Could possibly use plain mdf and spray paint it matt black

Paul Mc Cann

something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-ASH-...#ht_951wt_1110

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
On Dec 7, 10:49Â*am, wrote:
I'd like to add some more shelves in a room which has lots of "Black
Ash" Contiboard shelves. Â*While I have no great love for the stuff it
would be nice to have shelves that match (and sag in the same way!).

I can't find any in Google Shopping - has it been discontinued or is
it now called something else, or what?

--
Chris Green

Long gone AFAIK. Nearest we could find some years back was a matt
black version.

Could possibly use plain mdf and spray paint it matt black

Yes, that was my best idea so far, thanks.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TMC wrote:

"fred" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 10:49 am, wrote:
I'd like to add some more shelves in a room which has lots of "Black
Ash" Contiboard shelves. While I have no great love for the stuff it
would be nice to have shelves that match (and sag in the same way!).

I can't find any in Google Shopping - has it been discontinued or is
it now called something else, or what?

--
Chris Green

Long gone AFAIK. Nearest we could find some years back was a matt
black version.

Could possibly use plain mdf and spray paint it matt black

Paul Mc Cann

something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-ASH-...#ht_951wt_1110

Yes, I found that one too, however 2ft wide is a bit excessive and
although I could slice it lengthwise I'd still end up with only two
usable shelves with finished edges.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 2:05*pm, wrote:
chris French wrote:
In message , writes
I'd like to add some more shelves in a room which has lots of "Black
Ash" Contiboard shelves. *While I have no great love for the stuff it
would be nice to have shelves that match (and sag in the same way!).

I can't find any in Google Shopping - has it been discontinued or is
it now called something else, or what?

Contiboard itaslef doesn't seem to come in Black Ash, *but a random
Google search link lead to this:

http://www.hutchingstimber.co.uk/sheet-materials/melamine/black-ash

Brilliant, exactly what's needed, especially as a whole range of
widths is available. *Thank you.

--
Chris Green

Hmmm. 15mm Contiboard ? I'd be a bit leery of using that for shelves.
Unsupported span would not have great load bearing capacity. We're in
Ikea territory here.

Paul Mc Cann
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 10:49*am, wrote:
I'd like to add some more shelves in a room which has lots of "Black
Ash" Contiboard shelves. *While I have no great love for the stuff it
would be nice to have shelves that match (and sag in the same way!).

I can't find any in Google Shopping - has it been discontinued or is
it now called something else, or what?

--
Chris Green

Last time I need to do a similar job I ended up finding some white
Contiboard and sticking Fablon type covering in the appropriate finish
over it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
On Dec 8, 2:05Â*pm, wrote:
chris French wrote:
In message , writes
I'd like to add some more shelves in a room which has lots of "Black
Ash" Contiboard shelves. Â*While I have no great love for the stuff it
would be nice to have shelves that match (and sag in the same way!).

I can't find any in Google Shopping - has it been discontinued or is
it now called something else, or what?

Contiboard itaslef doesn't seem to come in Black Ash, Â*but a random
Google search link lead to this:

http://www.hutchingstimber.co.uk/sheet-materials/melamine/black-ash

Brilliant, exactly what's needed, especially as a whole range of
widths is available. Â*Thank you.

--
Chris Green

Hmmm. 15mm Contiboard ? I'd be a bit leery of using that for shelves.
Unsupported span would not have great load bearing capacity. We're in
Ikea territory here.

Just needs lots of supports. 15mm is what the existing shelves are
made of so 15mm is what I want/need. My supports are mostly around
40cm apart.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y