Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sun tube

we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has no
window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can anyone
confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and fit in a
bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/12/2011 10:07, leedsbob wrote:
we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has no
window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can anyone
confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and fit in a
bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

Ventilation?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 10:07*am, leedsbob wrote:
we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has no
window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can anyone
confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and fit in a
bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

I have a sun tube I installed about three years ago.. It was bloody
expensive back then, £200ish I think. I imagine the price has come
down by now.
It works very well, obviously only by day. It is around 1.8m long, no
bends
Mine has a freznel lens gadget on the bottom, there are several other
things that are cheaper I think but aren't as good.

The lens thing on the cieling on mine is flush, I suspect a projecting
one might give better light didtribution, you should check this out.

It did have one problem, that was condensation inside which dripped
from the outlet in the room. I failed to seal the bottom and in the
end I fixed it by insulating the tube in the roof space with bits of
scrap rigid foam insulation and canned foam.
Don't go for one that is too small. The quoted output is for at midday
so it's less at other times.

I have heard stories about some of these where the shiney internal
coating deteriorated so reducing performance. Mine has been OK so far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 7, 10:17*am, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/12/2011 10:07, leedsbob wrote:

we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has no
window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can anyone
confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and fit in a
bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

Ventilation?

--
Adrian C

good point!,have to think it through again
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Dec 2011 03:03:08 -0800 (PST)
leedsbob wrote:

On Dec 7, 10:17Â*am, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/12/2011 10:07, leedsbob wrote:

we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has
no window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can
anyone confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and
fit in a bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

Ventilation?

--
Adrian C

good point!,have to think it through again

Emergency esacape?
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:
we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has no
window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can anyone
confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and fit in a
bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

Actually they are not expensive and the main hassle is getting a good
seal at the roof tile/slate level. They are just a polished steel tube
with IIRC diffusers on each end. hundreds not thousands. The work may
involve a bit of scaffolding so its probably getting on for a grand plus
all in.

Depends on location.

BUT you worry me. A light tube and in fact lighting itself is NOT
regulatory as far as I know - I have a hallway with zero lighting -
needs a light tube :-) ) and the BCO didn't bat an eyelid.

What IS regulation in habitable space is:

- ventilation so you don't suffocate and
- a means of getting out if a fire blocs the normal one - and that is
usually an opening window.

Now as a bungalow presumably this is ground floor, but enclosed...so the
regs are a bit different.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

On Dec 7, 10:17 am, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/12/2011 10:07, leedsbob wrote:

we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has
no window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can
anyone confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and
fit in a bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

Ventilation?

--
Adrian C

good point!,have to think it through again

Emergency esacape?

There is no way I could get through my windows anyway - they are the kind which open the top part only. You don't have to have an emergency escape in a bedroom.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Did you hear about the little Indian chief who didn't know the difference between heads and tails?
He was always bringing home scalps with holes in them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 11:59:18 -0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

leedsbob wrote:
[...]

That can't be right or half the double glazing fitted would be illegal. Not everybody has the full window opening. I could maybe squeeze a 5 year old out of mine but that's about it.

Now as a bungalow presumably this is ground floor, but enclosed...so the
regs are a bit different.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

What is the difference between a battery and a woman?
A battery has a positive side.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

On Dec 7, 10:17 am, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/12/2011 10:07, leedsbob wrote:

we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has
no window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can
anyone confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and
fit in a bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

Ventilation?

--
Adrian C

good point!,have to think it through again

Emergency esacape?

There is no way I could get through my windows anyway - they are the
kind which open the top part only. You don't have to have an emergency
escape in a bedroom.

You have a really marvellous penchant for always being wrong, don't you?

That is exactly where you DO need it.

As I discovered. I had to fit windows that can be climbed out of.

Your house may not be to building standards but that doesn't mean they
don't exist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

leedsbob wrote:
[...]

It probably is.

Not everybody has the full window opening. I could maybe squeeze a 5
year old out of mine but that's about it.

Then it illegal unless you have two separate ways out of the room to the
outside, and smoke alarms 'guarding' both.

Now as a bungalow presumably this is ground floor, but enclosed...so the
regs are a bit different.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 10:07 am, leedsbob wrote:
we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has no
window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can anyone
confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and fit in a
bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

I don't think it would be acceptable for a habitable room.

However if it's a bungalow, you could open up the ceiling, extend the
room walls up to roof level and have velux type windows in the room.
You can probably find cord/rod operable ones. The additional height
may give the option of a mezzanine or high sleeper bed.

Provided the room opens onto a means of escape hallway and not off
another room, that should be compliant.

Building Regs approval will be required for extending the habitable
roomspace into the roofspace (insulation etc) as well as for the
windows.

Owain

Stayed in a hotel room once (premier lodge i think) where there was a no
outside wall to the room

It was in a single storey annexe

The ceiling had an opening about 1 metre square effectively a square chimney
and way up above was a velux in the roof

I think that there was an extractor in the chimney as well

There was a handle provided to open the velux, the drive for this being
just inside the chimney

The blind was fitted at ceiling level surreonded by a ventilation grille and
opened and closed by a cable to a handle on the wall

Worked for me

Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

On Dec 7, 10:17 am, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/12/2011 10:07, leedsbob wrote:

we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has
no window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can
anyone confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and
fit in a bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

Ventilation?

good point!,have to think it through again

Emergency esacape?
There is no way I could get through my windows anyway - they are

the kind which open the top part only. You don't have to have an
emergency escape in a bedroom.
You have a really marvellous penchant for always being wrong, don't

you?

That is exactly where you DO need it.

And that is also the *law*, Lootenant.

strictly it is building regulations and that means no NEW installations
to be done without such.

Its not illegal to have old windows like that,.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

On Dec 7, 10:17 am, Adrian C wrote:
On 07/12/2011 10:07, leedsbob wrote:

we have a spare room that would make agreat bedroom,unfort it has
no window,someone suggested a sun tube would comply with regs,can
anyone confirm this and have any idea of costings to supply and
fit in a bungalow into a room circa 3mx3m,many thanks

Ventilation?

--
Adrian C

good point!,have to think it through again

Emergency esacape?

There is no way I could get through my windows anyway - they are the
kind which open the top part only. *You don't have to have an emergency
escape in a bedroom.

You have a really marvellous penchant for always being wrong, don't you?

That is exactly where you DO need it.

As I discovered. I had to fit windows that can be climbed out of.

Not true. We have a three storey house and all doors onto the enclosed
stairwell had to be fire doors but there is no question of getting out
of the windows at that height. With some of them you can't. We have
just got our building certificate and fire was their primary concern
when they came round.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

[...]

Actually this is what the regs say:

If you are not using a FENSA registered contractor or if you're doing
the work yourself then you will need to arrange building regulation
approval yourself.

In short this means you need to be able to confirm the following:
The replacement will achieve a U-value of 2.0 W/m2k for PVC or timber
frames, or 2.2 W/m2k for metal frames.
Glazing within critical locations will be replaced with safety glass.
Existing measures for background and natural ventilation will be
retained.
Existing measures for means of escape from relevant rooms will be
retained. (If the window pattern is to be changed this may affect
means of escape).
Open flue appliances affected by the window/door replacement will be
checked for adequacy of combustion air supply by a suitably qualified
person.
If necessary, a suitable means of support will be provided above the
replacement window/door.
Where the dwelling was required to be constructed to provide an
easily accessible threshold at entrance doors this will be retained.

We replaced existing mill winows with a central opening with similar
new ones. You could get through the opening head first but it's not
practical as a means of escape. The fourth point above suggests that
we were OK by using the same design.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:
[...]

that's not what NEW regulations say. for new builds.

That's just say 'don't make it worse' for aftermarket REPLACEMENT
windows and must have been a hell of a lobbying exercise.

THIS is 'new build' - there is no existing window and full regs apply.

"When replacing any window, the opening should be sized to provide at
least the same potential for escape as the window it replaces. If the
original window that is being replaced was larger than necessary for the
purpose of escape, then the new window opening could be reduced down to
the minimum as specified in the criteria below.

The means of escape should be considered for any *new* window installed
to an extension or existing dwelling. If an escape window is required
then criteria set out below should be followed. It is also generally
good practice to replace any window on the first floor that is not used
as an escape window with an escape window.

See below for the general criteria for egress windows:

Width and Height - Either of these are not to be any less than 450mm
Clear Openable Area - No less than 0.33m²
Cill height - No less than 800mm and no more than 1100mm from floor
level.

Only one window per room is generally required."

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

[...]

Exactly. We had the loft converted and I was a little bothered that
the top floor windows only open across the top. On the one hand, my 8
year old can't climb/fall out, but what about fire? But BC signed it
off, full fire doors and interlinked smoke alarms were what they
wanted.

A while later we took up the fire service on their "we'll come and
assess the fire safety of your house" deal. Kids were impressed, they
came in the engine with full crew, and when I asked the guy about the
top floor windows, he just showed me their selection of axes and other
implements for forcing and smashing things open. Their line is that
in the city, they'll be round to a house fire within 5 minutes of
getting the call, so if you're in a room behind fire doors, they'll
get you out before any harm is done. They did advise keeping a
charged mobile in your bedroom at nights in case you're woken by the
alarm but find yourself trapped.

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

[...]

I have seen people that have replaced windows like that with window like
that, a bit silly IMO.
When we had timber windows like that I kept a big hammer under the bed to
break them.
As soon as I could afford it I had windows with side openers fitted as I
didn't fancy breaking double glazing in an emergency.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"1970alr" wrote in message

A while later we took up the fire service on their "we'll come and
assess the fire safety of your house" deal. Kids were impressed, they
came in the engine with full crew, and when I asked the guy about the
top floor windows, he just showed me their selection of axes and other
implements for forcing and smashing things open. Their line is that
in the city, they'll be round to a house fire within 5 minutes of
getting the call, so if you're in a room behind fire doors, they'll
get you out before any harm is done.

Did that include being on strike?
Mind you a group of squaddies would probably knock the door down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 19:53:55 +0000, dennis@home wrote:

strictly it is building regulations and that means no NEW installations
to be done without such.

Its not illegal to have old windows like that,.

I have seen people that have replaced windows like that with window like
that, a bit silly IMO.
When we had timber windows like that I kept a big hammer under the bed
to break them.
As soon as I could afford it I had windows with side openers fitted as I
didn't fancy breaking double glazing in an emergency.

When we moved into this (Edwardian) house (which is far from
conventional), they'd not long had the whole lot double glazed. The two
main upstairs rooms each have a bloody great tilt swivel window, about
1.4m x 1.7m! More danger from accidentally falling out, really. The
corridor areas between the other rooms and those two each have a smoke
alarm on them.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

BTW, you can get an electric light fitting that goes inside the light
tube for night time use. Obviously blocks out some of the daylight.
I think an electric fan/duct counts as ventilation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 15:51:16 -0000, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

What IS regulation in habitable space is:

- ventilation so you don't suffocate and
- a means of getting out if a fire blocs the normal one - and that is
usually an opening window.

That can't be right or half the double glazing fitted would be illegal. Not
everybody has the full window opening. I could maybe squeeze a 5 year old
out of mine but that's about it.

DG windows upstairs have, by law, to be able to open enough for an adult
to get out of. No reputable DG company will fit upstairs windows that
don't open to 90deg, and at the *edge* of the frame, not part way along.

When we had all ours done here last year, we so liked those to be
installed upstairs that we have that type of opening downstairs too.

How many kids fall out of these "safe" windows?

(I know one - he was thrown out by his older brother).

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

An actor works all his life to gain recognition.
He makes guest appearances, spends a lot for publicity people and agents etc.
Then, when he finally becomes well known, he complains he cannot go out in public anymore.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

leedsbob wrote:
[...]

Are you telling me that you are meant to have TWO smoke alarms per bedroom? I have never seen anyone have two alarms in one room.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

To snip or not to snip that is the question,
Whether 'tis nobler for the index finger to cut the verbosity and gobbledegook of nutters
or to append a meaningless comment and demonstrate their shallowness.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011 19:53:55 -0000, dennis@home wrote:

leedsbob wrote:

[...]

The chances of a burglary are greater than a fire. So I prefer small ones.

Here's a hint, don't set fire to your house every five minutes!

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Microsoft: This company has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

[...]

The council here actually refused to fix someone's gas heater in their living room because they had fitted a ceiling fan. Telling the prat that came round that she would never use a heater and a fan at the same time of year didn't get through his thick skull. If it had been me I would have removed it, let him fix the fire, then replace it. But she couldn't be bothered putting it up again and gave the fan away.

If necessary, a suitable means of support will be provided above the
replacement window/door.
Where the dwelling was required to be constructed to provide an
easily accessible threshold at entrance doors this will be retained.

We replaced existing mill winows with a central opening with similar
new ones. You could get through the opening head first but it's not
practical as a means of escape. The fourth point above suggests that
we were OK by using the same design.

Jonathan

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Tip: Don't substitute salt for sugar in recipes.
It tastes like ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

leedsbob wrote:

[...]

Some people are very paranoid.....

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

WinError: Unable to exit Windows. Try the door.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

leedsbob wrote:

[...]

Question:
Now that replacement windows come under building regs - at least from an
insulation point of view, do they now require them to be a means of
escape when the originals were not??

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.v6am24cbytk5n5@i7-940...

The chances of a burglary are greater than a fire. So I prefer small
ones.

The consequences of a burglary are minor compared to a fire.

Here's a hint, don't set fire to your house every five minutes!

Here's a hint, don't get burgled every two minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 22:08:56 -0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

leedsbob wrote:

[...]

Only in Britain are you forced to look after yourself.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of sesquipedalian verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualization can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bull****. You're assuming a quick thief and a huge fire.

Here's a hint, don't set fire to your house every five minutes!

Here's a hint, don't get burgled every two minutes.

I don't. But two houses in this street have been burgled in 12 years. None have caught fire.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

It is preferential to refrain from the utilization of sesquipedalian verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualization can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:53:15 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

How many kids fall out of these "safe" windows?

(I know one - he was thrown out by his older brother).

Did you land on your head?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:53:20 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The council here actually refused to fix someone's gas heater in their
living room because they had fitted a ceiling fan.

Ceiling fan as in 3' diameter thing that stirs the air in the room or
ceiling fan as in extract?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 23:22:29 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:53:15 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

How many kids fall out of these "safe" windows?

(I know one - he was thrown out by his older brother).

Did you land on your head?

I don't refer to myself in the third person.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Don't adopt a dwarf with learning difficulties. It's NOT big, and it's NOT clever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 23:24:26 -0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:53:20 -0000, Lieutenant Scott wrote:

The council here actually refused to fix someone's gas heater in their
living room because they had fitted a ceiling fan.

Ceiling fan as in 3' diameter thing that stirs the air in the room or
ceiling fan as in extract?

Stir.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

For the really paranoid who want to destroy data there's nothing like taking the lid off the disk drive and rearranging the sectors with a hammer.