Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Picking up F1 from RTX next year

there is no way on this planet I will be paying Sky for F1 next season, I
would rather not watch it, however much of an F1 nut I am.

I have heard it's possible to pickup the Free RTL feed (and listen to R5
Live for the commentary), however it requires some kit.. Some someone
help me out on what's needed...

I currently have a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Picking up F1 from RTL next year

Hmm, not sure where the X came from, it's not even close to the L button
:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark Gillespie wrote:
there is no way on this planet I will be paying Sky for F1 next season,
I would rather not watch it, however much of an F1 nut I am.

I have heard it's possible to pickup the Free RTL feed (and listen to R5
Live for the commentary), however it requires some kit.. Some someone
help me out on what's needed...

If you already have a dish, that will almost crtianly be pointing as
28.2E for the cluster of satellites used by FreeSat, Sky and other FTA
channels.

You could out up a 2nd dish pointing at 19.2E which RTL and many other
channels use, but planning restrictions probably disallow that, depends
how likely you think enforcement is.

Alternatively you can put a 2nd LNB (the feed horn + gubbins at the end
of the arm) onto the same dish, this assumes the dish is large enough (a
sky mini dish may not be) and the bracketry is available to support the
extra LNB (again unlikley for a non-standard sky dish unless you go the
DIY meccano route)

Standard eliptical dishes (taller than wide) use circular LNBs, sky mini
dishes (wider than tall) use eliptical LNBs.

You can either run a separate cable from each LNB to separate receivers,
or fit a diseqc switch at the dish end to allow either (not both) LNB to
be selected, again a sky receiver won't allow this, probably not a
FreeSat one either, but an FTA one will (perhaps a FreeSat one put into
FTA mode too).

Depends what kit your've got and how much more you can get away with ...
the elusive half finished sentence ...

I currently have a

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article op.v5q0vev6fj9jtf@vaio-laptop, Mark Gillespie
scribeth thus
there is no way on this planet I will be paying Sky for F1 next season, I
would rather not watch it, however much of an F1 nut I am.

I have heard it's possible to pickup the Free RTL feed (and listen to R5
Live for the commentary), however it requires some kit.. Some someone
help me out on what's needed...

I currently have a

Try a post to..

Alt.satellite.tv.europe or nearest to that!..

Or uk.tech.digital-tv.. Or nearest offer to those ng's ..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/11/2011 07:39, Mark Gillespie wrote:
there is no way on this planet I will be paying Sky for F1 next season,

You are not the only one!

I would rather not watch it, however much of an F1 nut I am.

I have heard it's possible to pickup the Free RTL feed (and listen to R5
Live for the commentary), however it requires some kit.. Some someone
help me out on what's needed...

I currently have a

See:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1512308

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1510300

I you don't like Niki Lauda you can get the race itself from TF1 Suisse
on 9E. It is FTA DVB-S2

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 30/11/2011 07:39, Mark Gillespie wrote:
there is no way on this planet I will be paying Sky for F1 next season,

You are not the only one!

I would rather not watch it, however much of an F1 nut I am.

I have heard it's possible to pickup the Free RTL feed (and listen to R5
Live for the commentary), however it requires some kit.. Some someone
help me out on what's needed...

I currently have a

See:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1512308

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1510300

I you don't like Niki Lauda you can get the race itself from TF1 Suisse
on 9E. It is FTA DVB-S2

will there be any internet video feeds?

I can cope with R5LSX as a commentary.

A satellite dish is..probably a step too far.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

will there be any internet video feeds?

I can cope with R5LSX as a commentary.

A satellite dish is..probably a step too far.

Where I live with 30 miles of London, internet TV is just a dream.

I think that the French are quite keen on that sort of thing so it might
be worth seeing if you can stream TF1.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

will there be any internet video feeds?

I can cope with R5LSX as a commentary.

A satellite dish is..probably a step too far.

Where I live with 30 miles of London, internet TV is just a dream.

really? it only takes about 1.5Mbps for stock and about 3.5M for HD...

I think that the French are quite keen on that sort of thing so it might
be worth seeing if you can stream TF1.

TF1 eh?

I'll ask next year for details..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

will there be any internet video feeds?

I can cope with R5LSX as a commentary.

A satellite dish is..probably a step too far.

Where I live with 30 miles of London, internet TV is just a dream.

really? it only takes about 1.5Mbps for stock and about 3.5M for HD...

I think I am doing quite well if I can get my IP profile up to 1250kbps.

with patience I can watch some of a programme on my PC with the iPlayer,
but trying to use my so called Internet TV is a waste of time.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:
Michael Chare wrote:

will there be any internet video feeds?

I can cope with R5LSX as a commentary.

A satellite dish is..probably a step too far.

Where I live with 30 miles of London, internet TV is just a dream.

really? it only takes about 1.5Mbps for stock and about 3.5M for HD...

I think I am doing quite well if I can get my IP profile up to 1250kbps.

with patience I can watch some of a programme on my PC with the iPlayer,
but trying to use my so called Internet TV is a waste of time.

gosh yes. Out here in the sticks its sometimes BETTER where habitation
tends to cluster into villages, than the outer london suburban sprawl..