Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

LP

Default Picking out a Ceiling Fan

I would like to replace the Casablanca ceiling fans in my living room
because it seems the ones that came with the house (when I bought it), don't
really throw the air much on high speed. I believe they are only 36" so I
guess I would need 52" ceiling fans? I also would like light kits on the
fan.

What do I look for when purchasing a ceiling fan? It seems there is such a
wide range of price out there! Does the degree of the blade pitch matter
that much? 4 blades or 5? Reverse or not have reverse?

Thanks in advance!

I dn't know much about ceiling fans but - do you have one wall switch
or two in place ? That is, one for lights and one for fan ? Or just
one for the fan ? The wall switch can only do one or the other. You
can also do the fan from the switch and I *think* the light with
pullcord. Or get one that has a remote and forego all that.

DAC

LP,

I'm not sure about the pitch etc, and I believe "MOST" have the forward
and reversing feature. My ceiling is not that tall, so I never create
the draft in the winter with the reverse feature.

I personally purchase 52" fans with five blades. I only purchase
Hunter specifically because each has been balanced right out of the
box, no fiddling with the weights. Not to say that everyone will...but
that's been my experience, YMMV.

I also would like light kits on the fan.
roger61 is correct..you may have to do some wiring to get electricity
to the lights UNLESS you're satisfied with the pull string or the
remote. I've done all and to be honest I don't thnk any one is any
better than the rest. If it's hard to gain access to the wiring, use
one of the other methonds. In a vaulted ceiling, I've snaked an
additional wire to the switch box, installed those small horizontal
switches, so in the same switch box with 2 switches control the fan and
light.

In my opinion, the higher priced fans run quieter, and have a more
durable motor in them. Some of the cheeper fans seem to drone...which
isn't a strong selling point in the middle of the night.

Best of luck...

Darwin

TKM

"LP" wrote in message
. com...
I would like to replace the Casablanca ceiling fans in my living room
because it seems the ones that came with the house (when I bought it),
don't really throw the air much on high speed. I believe they are only 36"
so I guess I would need 52" ceiling fans? I also would like light kits on
the fan.

What do I look for when purchasing a ceiling fan? It seems there is such a
wide range of price out there! Does the degree of the blade pitch matter
that much? 4 blades or 5? Reverse or not have reverse?

Thanks in advance!

It's not well known, but the Energy Star folks have specifications for
ceiling fans as well as for compact fluorescent lamps and lighting fixtures.

Start at: http://www.energystar.gov/

TKM

Kendall P. Bullen

In article
,
"TKM" wrote:

It's not well known, but the Energy Star folks have specifications for
ceiling fans as well as for compact fluorescent lamps and lighting fixtures.

Start at: http://www.energystar.gov/

Or do get there directly:

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...r_ceiling_fans

Thanks, TKM...I didn't know EnergyStar ratings were available for so
many types of products.

Kendall

--
Kendall P. Bullen http://www.his.com/~kendall/
kendall@---^^^^^^^

Never e-mail me copies of Usenet postings, please.
I do read the groups to which I post!