Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small circular saw

I have a circular saw that is overkill for most stuff so i'm looking for
something smaller for neater cutting of shelves / cupboard doors etc.

This looks OK as it cuts up to 25mm,

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/tool...saw_blades.htm

Anyone any experience of this sort of tool or recomendations of
something similar.

Ta.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/tool...s/plunge_circu...

Anyone any experience of this sort of tool or recomendations of
something similar.

Ta.

tiny blade isnt it, I'd get the next size up so it can do 44mm

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 10:18:39 -0800 (PST), NT wrote:

This looks OK as it cuts up to 25mm,

tiny blade isnt it, I'd get the next size up so it can do 44mm

And if using with a saw board you need to take the thickness off the
saw board off the maximum depth of cut of the saw to find what you
can really cut.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 20, 7:00*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 10:18:39 -0800 (PST), NT wrote:
This looks OK as it cuts up to 25mm,

tiny blade isnt it, I'd get the next size up so it can do 44mm

And if using with a saw board you need to take the thickness off the
saw board off the maximum depth of cut of the saw to find what you
can really cut.

Also 4000rpm seems rather slow for such a small blade.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 20 2011, 4:41*pm, R D S wrote:
I have acircularsawthat is overkill for most stuff so i'm looking for
something smaller for neater cutting of shelves / cupboard doors etc.

This looks OK as it cuts up to 25mm,

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/tool...s/plunge_circu...

Anyone any experience of this sort of tool or recomendations of
something similar.

Ta.

At Lidl next week:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_27631.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 15:18:34 -0800 (PST), mike wrote:

On Nov 20 2011, 4:41*pm, R D S wrote:
I have acircularsawthat is overkill for most stuff so i'm looking for
something smaller for neater cutting of shelves / cupboard doors etc.

This looks OK as it cuts up to 25mm,

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/tool...s/plunge_circu...

Anyone any experience of this sort of tool or recomendations of
something similar.

Ta.

At Lidl next week:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_27631.htm

Interesting. I've been thinking of getting a circular saw - would this one
be OK for most jobs?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 2, 9:07*am, PeterC wrote:
On Sun, 1 Jan 2012 15:18:34 -0800 (PST), mike wrote:
On Nov 20 2011, 4:41*pm, R D S wrote:
I have acircularsawthat is overkill for most stuff so i'm looking for
something smaller for neater cutting of shelves / cupboard doors etc.

This looks OK as it cuts up to 25mm,

http://www2.westfalia.net/shops/tool...s/plunge_circu....

Anyone any experience of this sort of tool or recomendations of
something similar.

Ta.

At Lidl next week:

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/l...ndex_27631.htm

Interesting. I've been thinking of getting a circular saw - would this one
be OK for most jobs?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

I think you'd be better off with a full-size one if you want it for
most jobs. Something like the £55 Evolution at B&Q at the moment
seems a reasonable price for reasonable quality. Toolstation have in
the past had deals on a nice looking Freud.

The Lidl one is really only suitable for smaller jobs such as thin ply
and the odd floorboard. You wouldn't get far cutting up 8x4 sheets of
18mm MDF with it.

Decent full size ones like Bosch, Makita, Wickes/Kress are good if you
want accuracy, the cheaper no-name ones, IME, are OK for rough
carpentry but have dubious base plates etc.

I had a small Skilsaw which was very useful for jobs where the full
size saw wasn't needed but, as I find out the hard way, they're easy
to burn out if you get carried away and push them too far.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jan 2012 02:53:39 -0800 (PST), mike wrote:

On Jan 2, 9:07*am, PeterC wrote:
[...]

OK, thanks, I'll give it a miss. Some cheap tools are OK but, as I found out
with Lidl's jigsaw, some aren't except for rough work (ended up buying a
Makita jigsaw).
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:
OK, thanks, I'll give it a miss. Some cheap tools are OK but, as I found
out with Lidl's jigsaw, some aren't except for rough work (ended up
buying a Makita jigsaw).

Think any jigsaw is only suitable for rough work. They can't be a
precision device by nature. Although they certainly vary a great deal.

That Lidl saw looks interesting. Although not unless you already have a
'normal' one.

--
* What do they call a coffee break at the Lipton Tea Company? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Decent full size ones like Bosch, Makita, Wickes/Kress are good if you
want accuracy, the cheaper no-name ones, IME, are OK for rough
carpentry but have dubious base plates etc.

I had a small Skilsaw which was very useful for jobs where the full
size saw wasn't needed but, as I find out the hard way, they're easy
to burn out if you get carried away and push them too far.

OK, thanks, I'll give it a miss. Some cheap tools are OK but, as I found out
with Lidl's jigsaw, some aren't except for rough work

(ended up buying a
Makita jigsaw).

Quite cheap in Homebase at the moment 43 quid IIRC....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
scribeth thus
In article ,
PeterC wrote:
OK, thanks, I'll give it a miss. Some cheap tools are OK but, as I found
out with Lidl's jigsaw, some aren't except for rough work (ended up
buying a Makita jigsaw).

Think any jigsaw is only suitable for rough work. They can't be a
precision device by nature. Although they certainly vary a great deal.

Dunno Dave the Makita I've got with decent fine blades makes some
excellent cuts. Just been fabricating some aerial insulators for a 1 kW
transmitting array...

That Lidl saw looks interesting. Although not unless you already have a
'normal' one.

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In t,
wrote:
OK, thanks, I'll give it a miss. Some cheap tools are OK but, as I found
out with Lidl's jigsaw, some aren't except for rough work (ended up
buying a Makita jigsaw).

Think any jigsaw is only suitable for rough work. They can't be a
precision device by nature. Although they certainly vary a great deal.

True of many, but not all IME. I have used my Makita for furniture and
pattern making tasks quite successfully.

--
Cheers,

John.