Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bit of electrical help please

I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

This works fine but the signal has to be taken over about 30m and into
a computer adapter which should detect the voltage but doesn't.

On checking, the Maplin adapter appears to be isolated from mains
earth and neutral. So I can register the 9v between signal and the
adapter neutral but not between signal and mains neutral.

I assume the computer is checking the voltage with reference to it's
own neutral, which would be power supply neutral or signal ground.

How do I get round this?

Thanks

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

This works fine but the signal has to be taken over about 30m and into
a computer adapter which should detect the voltage but doesn't.

On checking, the Maplin adapter appears to be isolated from mains
earth and neutral. So I can register the 9v between signal and the
adapter neutral but not between signal and mains neutral.

I assume the computer is checking the voltage with reference to it's
own neutral, which would be power supply neutral or signal ground.

How do I get round this?

I think understanding electronics would be a start.

I do, and none of the above makes sense..

1/. What has the Maplin PSU got to do with the photdiode output whih is
entirely independent and separate.?

2/. What is it 'in(to) the computer' that measures voltage? Nothing in
my computer measures voltage apart from a few embedded sensors, and they
don't get to the outside world.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AnthonyL wrote:
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

This works fine but the signal has to be taken over about 30m and into
a computer adapter which should detect the voltage but doesn't.

On checking, the Maplin adapter appears to be isolated from mains
earth and neutral. So I can register the 9v between signal and the
adapter neutral but not between signal and mains neutral.

I assume the computer is checking the voltage with reference to it's
own neutral, which would be power supply neutral or signal ground.

Are you using two wire cores to take the signal from the LED/ photodiode
module to the computer or one? As described, your LED/ photodiode system
may be floating with respect to the computer input, so will not register
a voltage.

If you're not using two cores for the interconnect, then you should be.
You can't rely on using mains neutral as a return in any system of this
sort.

When you put a meter across the input to the computer module at the
computer end of the cable, do you get a clean 9 volt reading?

It is also possible, but unlikely, that you're picking up mains
interference which is causing the fault. You may need to use shielded
cable, depending on the circuit impedances.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Ant.
What Computer Adaptor are you using and do you have the drivers for it?
Baz.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 14:43:16 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:
A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED which
then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode, which in
turn provides 9v.

This works fine

Just to be clear, you have a power supply, LED, mirror, and *something*
(I suspect not a photodiode - or at least not in isolation) which is
putting out +9V with respect to the power supply's ground when the light
falls on it?

but the signal has to be taken over about 30m and into a
computer adapter which should detect the voltage but doesn't.

What is this computer adapter?

If you're feeding +9V into an old PC parallel port, you'll probably break
something (they're only designed for TTL levels).

If you're using one of the lines on a serial port, that'll probably work
(although some PCs can be a bit picky, so I'm not sure that +9V is
guaranteed to work despite what the spec might say).

But "computer adapter" could mean all manner of things...

On checking, the Maplin adapter appears to be isolated from mains earth
and neutral.

That confuses me. Typically these "wall wart" supplies are plastic-cased
and have no earth, true - but they'll still be connected to live and
neutral on the AC side; they won't work otherwise.

So I can register the 9v between signal and the adapter
neutral but not between signal and mains neutral.

You're not running a single wire back from the detector to the computer,
are you? You need to connect ground on the computer to ground on the
detector (and forget about anything to do with "neutral" or the mains AC
side of either the computer or the Maplin supply)

30m is quite a distance, too; using good quality shielded cable is
probably a must...

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

This works fine but the signal has to be taken over about 30m and into
a computer adapter which should detect the voltage but doesn't.

On checking, the Maplin adapter appears to be isolated from mains
earth and neutral. So I can register the 9v between signal and the
adapter neutral but not between signal and mains neutral.

I assume the computer is checking the voltage with reference to it's
own neutral, which would be power supply neutral or signal ground.

How do I get round this?

Thanks

Sorry if I'm being dumb here, but are you only providing a single wire to
the PC and expecting the PC to measure this relative to some floating datum?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2011 14:43, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED

The LED lifetime on 9v will be exceedingly short unless there is a
current limiting resistor in series with it - depending on the colour an
LED will drop anything between 2v (red) to 4v (blue & white).

which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

This seems unlikely. The signal might be a few volts at negligible
current depending on how you wire it up with a series resistance and how
well the detector is screened from ambient light and filtered. It will
not travel well down a long cable though...

This works fine but the signal has to be taken over about 30m and into
a computer adapter which should detect the voltage but doesn't.

Test it with a shorter cable. What you say doesn't make a lot of sense.
you seem to be complaining that the Maplin PSU is floating wrt mains
earth (which seems quite likely). You just have to run a pair of cables
or better a screened signal cable with earth on the screen to the PC.

On checking, the Maplin adapter appears to be isolated from mains
earth and neutral. So I can register the 9v between signal and the
adapter neutral but not between signal and mains neutral.

I assume the computer is checking the voltage with reference to it's
own neutral, which would be power supply neutral or signal ground.

How do I get round this?

You probably need to buffer the photodiode with an opamp so that it can
drive the cable to the PC with suitable signal levels and frequency
response. How are you measuring it at the PC end? Line in ?

You would probably be better off asking on sci.electronics.basics

Daqarta will give you a quick realtime display of the audio in channels.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2011 15:12, Jules Richardson wrote:
[...]

9V is well in spec for RS232C which is what a traditional PC serial port
works to, however it only reads digital levels, and does not perform
analogue to digital conversion as such. Fine if all you need is an
illuminated, not illuminated indication - not much use for an indication
of the level of illumination.

(a standard joystick port can do A to D if you scale the voltage a bit
first)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

a standard joystick port can do A to D if you scale the voltage a bit
first

When was the last time you saw a PC with a joystick port?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AnthonyL" wrote in message
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

This works fine but the signal has to be taken over about 30m and into
a computer adapter which should detect the voltage but doesn't.

On checking, the Maplin adapter appears to be isolated from mains
earth and neutral. So I can register the 9v between signal and the
adapter neutral but not between signal and mains neutral.

I assume the computer is checking the voltage with reference to it's
own neutral, which would be power supply neutral or signal ground.

How do I get round this?

Buy one of these http://www.maplin.co.uk/mk120-ir-bea...detector-27513
and modify as required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2011 17:32, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

a standard joystick port can do A to D if you scale the voltage a bit
first

When was the last time you saw a PC with a joystick port?

glances to his left about a second ago...

(you can also do analogue input on the line in - but even more
restrictive on range)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

On 15/11/2011 17:32, Andy Burns wrote:

When was the last time you saw a PC with a joystick port?

glances to his left about a second ago...

Yeah, I was half-expecting that, but other than one you own?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yeah, I was half-expecting that, but other than one you own?

FWIW I can see one too (if I stick my head under the desk).
--
Robin
reply to address is (meant to be) valid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 15, 2:43*pm, (AnthonyL) wrote:
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

Are you explaining this correctly? Photo-diodes are not generating
devices and do not produce a voltage output on their own.

This works fine

On what do you base this statement?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:

Photo-diodes are not generating devices
and do not produce a voltage output on their own.

Don't tell Harry ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 15, 7:36*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
cynic wrote:
Photo-diodes are not generating devices
and do not produce a voltage output on their own.

Don't tell Harry ...

Hmmm I had in mind photo-resistive response devices. I normally think
of the devices producing a voltage/current output as photovoltaic. -
Point taken!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
John Rumm wrote:

On 15/11/2011 17:32, Andy Burns wrote:

When was the last time you saw a PC with a joystick port?

glances to his left about a second ago...

Yeah, I was half-expecting that, but other than one you own?

I have a USB joystick interface somewhere, it was used for a flight yoke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:
Photo-diodes are not generating devices
and do not produce a voltage output on their own.

Don't tell Harry ...

Hmmm I had in mind photo-resistive response devices. I normally think
of the devices producing a voltage/current output as photovoltaic. -
Point taken!

Did anyone say VDR (voltage dependent resistor)?

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:
Photo-diodes are not generating devices
and do not produce a voltage output on their own.

Don't tell Harry ...

Hmmm I had in mind photo-resistive response devices.

ORP12.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Nov 15, 7:36Â*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
cynic wrote:
Photo-diodes are not generating devices and do not produce a voltage
output on their own.

Don't tell Harry ...

Hmmm I had in mind photo-resistive response devices.

ORP12.

Think I still have one somewhere.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2011 14:43, AnthonyL wrote:
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

Is this photodiode a bare component like this:

http://uk.farnell.com/vishay/bpv10nf...pin/dp/1328399

or a module more like this?

http://www.plccenter.co.uk/Buy/ALLEN...Y/42EFB1MNBCA2

If it's the bare component then I think you have a lot more work to do,
if it's the module then read on.

This works fine but the signal has to be taken over about 30m and into
a computer adapter which should detect the voltage but doesn't.

How have you tested it? I guess you have measured ~9V with a meter
connected between the power supply 0 volts and the photodiode output
when the mirror is present and ~0V when it isn't?

On checking, the Maplin adapter appears to be isolated from mains
earth and neutral. So I can register the 9v between signal and the
adapter neutral but not between signal and mains neutral.

I assume the computer is checking the voltage with reference to it's
own neutral, which would be power supply neutral or signal ground.

Do you have any documentation for this adapter? If it is designed to be
used for this sort of thing I would expect it to have a signal ground
connection

How do I get round this?

Are you sure this adapter is designed to take a 9V input? What is it
exactly?

Does this "computer adapter" not have a ground, GND or 0 Volt connection
which it uses as a signal reference? If it does then connecting that to
the Maplin power supply output 0 volts should work. If it doesn't have
such a connection then connecting your power supply 0V output to the
computer case *may* work. However I suggest you come back with more
information about this computer adapter and photodiode before you try that.

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 17:21:18 +0000, John Rumm wrote:

[...]

Agreed - and some more modern far-east piece of crud should, in theory,
work too, I'm just saying that in practice I've seen a lot of duff
hardware at the cheaper end of things - I expect there are some
implementations that are a bit cavalier with the spec :-)

however it only reads digital levels, and does not perform
analogue to digital conversion as such. Fine if all you need is an
illuminated, not illuminated indication - not much use for an indication
of the level of illumination.

Ahh, yes it hadn't even crossed my mind that the OP might be wanting a
voltage in proportion to the level of illumination! Yes, joystick port
probably best bet if the machine has one... or ADC grafted onto the
parallel port (assuming the machine has a parallel port, even - God
modern PCs are useless :-)

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/11/2011 19:15, Andy Burns wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 15/11/2011 17:32, Andy Burns wrote:

When was the last time you saw a PC with a joystick port?

glances to his left about a second ago...

Yeah, I was half-expecting that, but other than one you own?

Is there a point to your question?

I am just offering the OP some options. May be of no use, then again it
might not.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

When was the last time you saw a PC with a joystick port?

Is there a point to your question? I am just offering the OP some
options. May be of no use, then again it might not.

It might be, but I was just pointing out that the number of PCs from the
last decade with a joystick port is vanishingly small. Since the O/P is
already using Maplin kits his project, then maybe something like this
gives him more options?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-experime...ce-board-42857

Posted to uk.d-i-y

cynic wrote:
Photo-diodes are not generating devices
and do not produce a voltage output on their own.

Don't tell Harry ...

Hmmm I had in mind photo-resistive response devices.

ORP12.

That's an LDR (light dependant resistor)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:30:41 -0800 (PST), cynic wrote:

On Nov 15, 2:43*pm, (AnthonyL) wrote:
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

Are you explaining this correctly? Photo-diodes are not generating
devices and do not produce a voltage output on their own.

Yes they can. Look up the phrase "photovoltaic effect".

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electronics/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 16, 7:15*pm, Paul Herber wrote:
On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 11:30:41 -0800 (PST), cynic wrote:
On Nov 15, 2:43*pm, (AnthonyL) wrote:
I'm involved in a small project which needs to respond to the output
from a photodiode.

A Maplin L67BQ power adapter provides the 9v needed to power a LED
which then reflects via a moving mirror to activated the photodiode,
which in turn provides 9v.

Are you explaining this correctly? Photo-diodes are not generating
devices and do not produce a voltage output on their own.

Yes they can. Look up the phrase "photovoltaic effect".

--
Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd.
Electronics for Visio * * * * *http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electronics/
Electrical for Visio * * * * *http://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electrical/
Electronics Packages for Visiohttp://www.sandrila.co.uk/visio-electronics-packages/

Weve just been through that enlightenment thanks

Electrical box [email protected] Home Repair 23 September 21st 10 08:35 PM
Electrical J.C. Home Repair 10 February 9th 07 05:25 AM
electrical ? gg Home Repair 13 December 7th 06 12:12 PM
electrical [email protected] Home Repair 18 September 10th 06 08:46 PM
Electrical putty vs. silicone for sealing exterior electrical holes? blueman Home Repair 3 April 1st 05 10:06 PM