Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Computer mainboard upgrade and transfer of old hard drives

I am in the process of upgrading my PC.
XP Pro installed.

I have a good working system currently in use where everything works OK and
want to transfer the hard drives ( there are two physical hard drives ) to a
new motherboard that uses a faster Intel ( as opposed to the current AMD )
processor.

I have done the preliminaries on the old system, including cloning the two
hard drives to two hard drives that have more capacity and all works OK.

Just in case of a catastrophe I have the original C drive on the smaller
hard drive currently off line and disconnected - but it works OK.

I have copied the content of the XP Pro installation disk to a folder on the
new ( C: ) hard drive that will be in use on the new mother board as I
realize all the drivers will need to be loaded for the new motherboard.
There is loads of space spare now on the hard drives I intend to use on the
new mother board setup.

I have done this before, years ago, and I seem to remember that the best
strategy to use when installing the drives on the new mother board is to
initially boot into safe mode and then let the system discover the new
hardware. The system then worked OK.

I have also done it before and had a failure.

What is the best sequence of events to follow to ensure a functioning system
on the new motherboard installation with the old hard drives.

I have so much installed on the working system and so many saved passwords
etc that I really do not want to re-install the whole system on the new
motherboard setup.

Any suggestions welcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 01:22, dupont wrote:
[...]

Try uk.comp.homebuilt

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dupont wrote:

I have done this before, years ago, and I seem to remember that the best
strategy to use when installing the drives on the new mother board is to
initially boot into safe mode and then let the system discover the new
hardware. The system then worked OK.

I have also done it before and had a failure.

You've got backup/spare drives galore(!) so just power up the new board
on the bench with one of them and see what happens. At worse you'll have
to recreate it.

If this works and you keep your XP in a tidy state (ie there hasn't been
too much crap installed over the years) then it's preferable to a
re-install as it always takes weeks to get everything back as one likes
it. And there's always some setting or tweak that gets lost in the move.

Scott
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott M wrote:

You've got backup/spare drives galore(!) so just power up the new board
on the bench with one of them and see what happens. At worse you'll have
to recreate it.

It's a while since I looked into it, but swapping an AMD and Intel CPU
used to be too much for the HAL to bear, resulting in a blue screen, if
you search you might find underhand methods of swapping to a different
HAL, but you're quite likely to break it doing that too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 11, 9:13*am, Andy Burns wrote:
Scott M wrote:
You've got backup/spare drives galore(!) so just power up the new board
on the bench with one of them and see what happens. At worse you'll have
to recreate it.

It's a while since I looked into it, but swapping an AMD and Intel CPU
used to be too much for the HAL to bear, resulting in a blue screen, if
you search you might find underhand methods of swapping to a different
HAL, but you're quite likely to break it doing that too.

The joys of windows. Can you just reinstall it, whereupon it will
reuse the existing use settings?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, I've never been able to make it work if the processor family or
manufacturer has been altered. I suspect this might be due to some low level
driver needed to boot windows initially, ie the capability to use a
detection system to do this might only have existed at install time. Its
possible of course that someone has worked out how this works and hacked it
by now!

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"dupont" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:13 am, Andy wrote:
Scott M wrote:
You've got backup/spare drives galore(!) so just power up the new board
on the bench with one of them and see what happens. At worse you'll have
to recreate it.

It's a while since I looked into it, but swapping an AMD and Intel CPU
used to be too much for the HAL to bear, resulting in a blue screen, if
you search you might find underhand methods of swapping to a different
HAL, but you're quite likely to break it doing that too.

HAL Heuristically-programmed Algorithmic Computer (computer in 2001: A
Space Odyssey)
HAL [not an acronym] from 2001: A Space Odyssey
HAL Halliburton (oil service company)
HAL History, Arts and Libraries
Hal Halberd (Runescape gaming)
HAL Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
HAL Hawaiian Airlines (ICAO code)
HAL Home Automated Living
HAL Hybrid Assistive Limb (robotic suit)
HAL Halon (fire protection agent)
HAL Hyper Article En Ligne (Hyper Article on Line)
HAL Holland Amerika Lijn (Dutch: Holland America Line)
HAL Histidine Ammonia-Lyase
HAL Horticulture Australia Ltd.
HAL Hot Air Leveling (technique for laying soldering coating on circuit
boards)
HAL Hackers At Large
HAL Health Advisory Level
HAL Hardware Adaptation Layer
HAL Hard Array Logic
HAL Atlantic Halibut
HAL Hyperalimentation
HAL Hand Activity Level
HAL High-Order Assembly Language
HAL Heavy Axle Load (transportation)
HAL High Accident Location
HAL Hardware Artificial Life
HAL Hyperspace Analog to Language
HAL Howard Astronomical League (Howard County, Maryland)
HAL Helicopter Attack Squadron Light (US Navy aviation unit designation
used 1967-72 and again 1976-88)
HAL Hargrave-Andrew Library (Monash University, Australia)
HAL Hyper-Algorithmic Logic (Star Bridge Systems Inc. hypercomputer
technology)
HAL Horizontal Alert Limit
HAL Hickling Arthurs Low Corporation (Canada)
HAL Humanities, Arts and Languages
HAL Human Access Language (early variation of Lotus 123)
HAL Height Above Landing Area
HAL Historical Annotated Landings (National Marine Fisheries Service
database)
HAL Highly Automated Logic
HAL Hypertext Aided Learning
HAL Holston Associated Libraries, Inc.
HAL Halken Laboratories Inc
HAL Homework Access Line
HAL Hyperbaric Airlock
HAL Hardware Abstraction Layer

The joys of windows. Can you just reinstall it, whereupon it will
reuse the existing use settings?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 01:22:23 -0000, "dupont" wrote:

[...]

I always install from proper installation media onto a new drive. The
old drive(s) are connected so you can get all your data.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dupont" wrote in message

I have done this before, years ago, and I seem to remember that the best
strategy to use when installing the drives on the new mother board is to
initially boot into safe mode and then let the system discover the new
hardware. The system then worked OK.

I have also done it before and had a failure.

What is the best sequence of events to follow to ensure a functioning
system on the new motherboard installation with the old hard drives.

I have so much installed on the working system and so many saved passwords
etc that I really do not want to re-install the whole system on the new
motherboard setup.

Any suggestions welcome.

I remember on the previous failed upgrade it was a AMD Intel change that
is why I specifically mentioned it.

Yes Scott, it's all those little tweaks and things set to my preference that
can take ages to remember if you ever do remember them all.

One thing in my favour is that after trying it, and if it fails, I can
always recreate a clone of the original disk again.

I'll do some more searching first so any further ideas welcome.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F Murtz wrote:
NT wrote:
On Nov 11, 9:13 am, Andy wrote:
Scott M wrote:
[...]

HAL common abbreviation of harry

There's the problem, right there!

The joys of windows. Can you just reinstall it, whereupon it will
reuse the existing use settings?

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 01:22:23 -0000, "dupont" wrote:
Any suggestions welcome.

When I last did this, I found XP didn't work with SATA drives in AHCI
mode (it just blue-screened during boot), and I needed to change the
BIOS to use IDE legacy mode. Most modern motherboards will have the
SATA drives set to AHCI in the BIOS by default, so watch for that.

If you have problems with new hardware that's used too early in the
boot for hardware detection to kick in, you can sometimes get around
this by installing the driver for the new hardware on the old system.
I've done this when moving a system from an IDE to a SCSI boot disk -
install the SCSI driver on the IDE system to avoid an
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen when booting the new system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Caecilius wrote:

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 01:22:23 -0000, wrote:

When I last did this, I found XP didn't work with SATA drives in AHCI
mode

It will ... but you have to be careful, if the drives are in AHCI mode
at time of installation, and you have the proper drivers, it works fine,
there's probably a minimum service pack too.

What XP hates is discovering the drives are in the "opposite" mode at
runtime compared to install time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2011 10:16, F Murtz wrote:
snip?
HAL Hardware Abstraction Layer

/snip
That one. Surely everyone writes their own Windows drivers, and will
know that? :-?

Andy

.50 BMG vs. 18 computer hard drives Ignoramus29292 Metalworking 12 March 25th 09 10:00 PM
Old Computer Hard Drives TwoGuns Metalworking 13 June 8th 08 03:56 PM
Applying sledgehammer to computer hard drives Ignoramus17253 Metalworking 49 October 16th 07 04:24 AM
Switching Power of hard drives ON and Off Vlad Electronics Repair 24 April 5th 05 01:22 AM