Posted to uk.d-i-y
Caecilius[_2_] Caecilius[_2_] is offline

Default Computer mainboard upgrade and transfer of old hard drives

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 01:22:23 -0000, "dupont" wrote:
Any suggestions welcome.

When I last did this, I found XP didn't work with SATA drives in AHCI
mode (it just blue-screened during boot), and I needed to change the
BIOS to use IDE legacy mode. Most modern motherboards will have the
SATA drives set to AHCI in the BIOS by default, so watch for that.

If you have problems with new hardware that's used too early in the
boot for hardware detection to kick in, you can sometimes get around
this by installing the driver for the new hardware on the old system.
I've done this when moving a system from an IDE to a SCSI boot disk -
install the SCSI driver on the IDE system to avoid an
INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE blue screen when booting the new system.