Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cup Hooks

Is it possible to buy cup hooks with an extra-long screw (say 1"),
suitable to pass through plasterboard and get a secure fastening into
a joist above? The hook itself only needs to be, say 1/2" to 3/4"
diameter.

Solid brass preferably.

Many TIA -

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
Is it possible to buy cup hooks with an extra-long screw (say 1"),
suitable to pass through plasterboard and get a secure fastening into
a joist above? The hook itself only needs to be, say 1/2" to 3/4"
diameter.

Solid brass preferably.

Many TIA -

--
Frank Erskine

I solved this a different way using plasterboard type rawlplugs to fit the
cuphooks for xmas lights in the house
Hooks are put in and taken out at same time as lights

May not work for you depending on load applied to hook

Regards

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2011 23:57, Frank Erskine wrote:
Is it possible to buy cup hooks with an extra-long screw (say 1"),
suitable to pass through plasterboard and get a secure fastening into
a joist above? The hook itself only needs to be, say 1/2" to 3/4"
diameter.

Solid brass preferably.

Many TIA -

If you're talking about simple on-piece cup-hooks, probably not - but
these wouldn't be made of solid brass anyway.

However, if you go to something a bit heavier duty - like hooks for
curtain ties, some of these are solid brass and a flange with a tapped
hole in the back. A double-ended screw - machine thread one end and
woodscrew the other - then screws into the flange.[1] You may be able to
get longer double-ended screws. Alternatively, you could use use a long
machine screw - and screw it into a hollow anchor like
http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wal...ck-of-10/12229
rather than into a joist. That would take quite a lot of load.

[1] Something like
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CURTAIN-TI...item20be23041c
but you would need a bit more of a crook on the end if it is to be used
vertically.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 11:57*pm, Frank Erskine
wrote:
Is it possible to buy cup hooks with an extra-long screw (say 1"),
suitable to pass through plasterboard and get a secure fastening into
a joist above? The hook itself only needs to be, say 1/2" to 3/4"
diameter.

Solid brass preferably.

Look for "vine eyes" (as Homebase call them); and a hacksaw, but I've
only seen them in steel. That's what I had to do last time I had a
similar problem of hanging a fluorescent light fitting.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Is it possible to buy cup hooks with an extra-long screw (say 1"),
suitable to pass through plasterboard and get a secure fastening into
a joist above? The hook itself only needs to be, say 1/2" to 3/4"
diameter.

Solid brass preferably.

Look for "vine eyes" (as Homebase call them); and a hacksaw, but I've
only seen them in steel. That's what I had to do last time I had a
similar problem of hanging a fluorescent light fitting.

Chris

They are available in stainless steel. The advantage of brass or stainless
is that it won't rust. As you suggest, using vine eyes or similar after
modification with a hacksaw (or AG!) provides more options.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Is it possible to buy cup hooks with an extra-long screw (say 1"),
suitable to pass through plasterboard and get a secure fastening into
a joist above? The hook itself only needs to be, say 1/2" to 3/4"
diameter.

Solid brass preferably.

Look for "vine eyes" (as Homebase call them); and a hacksaw, but I've
only seen them in steel. That's what I had to do last time I had a
similar problem of hanging a fluorescent light fitting.

Chris

They are available in stainless steel. The advantage of brass or stainless
is that it won't rust. As you suggest, using vine eyes or similar after
modification with a hacksaw (or AG!) provides more options.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

I should have looked harder at the Homebase website. They do a 50mm
brass cup hook, just as the OP ordered:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber =907210&Trail=searchtextCUP+HOOK

Chris

Cabin hooks from B&Q - is it me? David WE Roberts[_2_] UK diy 12 September 25th 11 03:22 PM
Hooks - where to buy? Simon C. UK diy 5 March 11th 10 07:03 PM
Crochet Hooks Casper Woodturning 3 September 18th 07 08:23 PM
Hercules Hooks jamesrdens@ya_oo.com Home Repair 19 August 19th 07 10:13 PM
Hooks - where from? Sim G. UK diy 2 June 13th 05 08:23 AM