Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any thing spring to mind?

Hi chaps,

wanted to pick your brains- i have a large stock pot with a hole in the
bottom connected to a copper pipe to a pump.

this pipe and pump needs cleaning and sterilising but the stock pot doesn't
need to be...the problem i have is that in order to clean the pipe and pump
I'm having to fill the stock pot with a lot of cleaner/steriliser.

I have a solution though- use a pipe about 2inches in diameter(minimum) over
the outlet in the bottom of the stock pot; pressed firmly against the bottom
it will seal and i can just fill the pipe and not the whole pot. Ideally it
would be heavy enough to seal with its own weight, so i can just pop it over
the outlet and fill it up with cleaner solution.

I just need to find something off the shelf somewhere that it a cylinder
with a seal on one end like i have described.

Any ideas? There must be something out there...

Ta chaps

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/11/2011 10:38, Mr Sandman wrote:
[...]

Connected how: compression fitting, soldered? Do you need to sterilise
the outer parts of the connection inside the pot, if you see what I
mean? What sort of pipe diameter? What's wrong with a rubber bung on a
funnel pushed down the tube? With that arrangement, could you sterilise
the "outside" bits with a suitable spray?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Newshound" wrote in message ...

[...]

The pipework is connected to the pot by a brass tank connector, the bit
inside the pot is about 40mm in diameter.

a bung could be a solution but it could easily become dislodged, especially
if it has a funnel or pipe going to another vessel attached to it.

The outside of the pipe to the pump does not need treating, just the inside.

Thanks chaps

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

Hi chaps,

wanted to pick your brains- i have a large stock pot with a hole in
the bottom connected to a copper pipe to a pump.

this pipe and pump needs cleaning and sterilising but the stock pot
doesn't need to be...the problem i have is that in order to clean the
pipe and pump I'm having to fill the stock pot with a lot of
cleaner/steriliser.

I have a solution though- use a pipe about 2inches in
diameter(minimum) over the outlet in the bottom of the stock pot;
pressed firmly against the bottom it will seal and i can just fill
the pipe and not the whole pot. Ideally it would be heavy enough to
seal with its own weight, so i can just pop it over the outlet and
fill it up with cleaner solution.

I don't really understand the system you describe.

Why do you need to fill the pot?

Use a hose down the pipe and fill it via a funnel to fill the pipe only
as high as the funnel pot, or is the pipework and pump above the drain
hole height?

Maybe you could dismantle the stock pot from the pipe and take it out
of the system altogether?

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message ...

Mr Sandman wrote:

Hi chaps,

wanted to pick your brains- i have a large stock pot with a hole in
the bottom connected to a copper pipe to a pump.

this pipe and pump needs cleaning and sterilising but the stock pot
doesn't need to be...the problem i have is that in order to clean the
pipe and pump I'm having to fill the stock pot with a lot of
cleaner/steriliser.

I have a solution though- use a pipe about 2inches in
diameter(minimum) over the outlet in the bottom of the stock pot;
pressed firmly against the bottom it will seal and i can just fill
the pipe and not the whole pot. Ideally it would be heavy enough to
seal with its own weight, so i can just pop it over the outlet and
fill it up with cleaner solution.

I don't really understand the system you describe.

Why do you need to fill the pot?
- so i can use the pump to pull cleaning solution through the pipe and pump
from the pot.

Use a hose down the pipe and fill it via a funnel to fill the pipe only
as high as the funnel pot, or is the pipework and pump above the drain
hole height?
-the pipe goes down hill to the pump. problem with the hose solution is it
may spill.

Maybe you could dismantle the stock pot from the pipe and take it out
of the system altogether?
- its permanently fixed in place, i cant take it apart(or rather i can but
its not the solution to the problem), i need to repeat the procedure
regularly.

Ta

steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a solution though- use a pipe about 2inches in diameter(minimum)
over
the outlet in the bottom of the stock pot; pressed firmly against the
bottom
it will seal and i can just fill the pipe and not the whole pot. Ideally
it
would be heavy enough to seal with its own weight, so i can just pop it
over
the outlet and fill it up with cleaner solution.

I just need to find something off the shelf somewhere that it a cylinder
with a seal on one end like i have described.

Any ideas? There must be something out there...

Commercial kitchens use exactly that sort of tube as a plug in sink
plug-holes. The tube is of a length to form an overflow if the sink
overfills.

Problem with this solution is that i would need to use a sink plug hole for
the tube to fit into.

I need a tube that has a silicon or rubber coating on the end that i can sit
over the outlet to provide the ideal solution.

Ta

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Sandman wrote:

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message ...

Mr Sandman wrote:

[...]

Is there any reason you don't want to sterilise the pot as well? Cost?
Damage by the chemicals?

I'd have thought that if you don't sterilise the pot, the first timme
you run the system, you're back to stage one with a contaminiated system.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 5, 10:38*am, "Mr Sandman" wrote:
[...]

I'm also puzzled, diluted bleach must cost a penny at most.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

its fine to sterilise the pot, but the aim is to not use so much sterilising
fluid. the rest of the pot will be sterilised by boiling but the pipe and
pump doesn't get sterilised so it has to be done first.

steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

[...]

Cant use bleach as it will pit the stainless pot and pipes as it could be in
contact for some time.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 5:33*pm, "Mr Sandman" wrote:
"NT" *wrote in message

[...]

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Can you mostly-fill the pot with something hygenic that almost fits,
like a big saucepan, to reduce the volume of liquid?

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Sandman" wrote:
[snip]

Cant use bleach as it will pit the stainless pot and pipes as it could be
in contact for some time.

********.

BTW any chance that you could learn how to post? Because you do not quote
the previous message correctly it is difficult to work out what you have
said and what the previous poster said.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.cip.ukcentre.com/rust2.htm

********.