Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tom Tom

In message , geoff
writes
In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

The Nuernberg ring does exist, it's mainly dual carriageway, it's
also circumnavigated by Autobahn, the A3, the A9, the A73 and the A6

The Nurburgring isn't but, it is shown as one on german maps

Whatever, it would be "interesting " to see Dennis chugging round
either of them at 50km/h in his Corsair, or whatever POS he drives

And interesting from the point of view that he laid down a challenge
and he could actually redeem himself by actually turning up at
either of the above ...

big boy behind the monitor, yellow livered coward in real life

I notice that *you* didn't turn up

No you didn't

I was waiting for you to confirm that you were actually going to turn up

and where? ...

Was it the Nurburgring or the Nuernberg Ring

And when?

I'm up for it anytime

and that you wanted to do it during the day rather than at night.

I really don't remember saying that, why should it have any bearing on
anything anyway?

I will stipulate a dry day, since I'm not taking a 150 hp bike round
the Nurburgring in the wet

So Dennis

State where and when, lets do it

C'mon dennis

Where and when

We both put down £2000 which you lose if you don't turn up

10 circuits of, I presume, the Nurburgring (yes, I know it came as a bit
of a shock to you that Nurburg and Nuernberg are not one and the same, I
gave you the chance to apologise, but you don't seem to have done so
yet)

That's it

You put up the challenge, I'll let you choose the other details too -
all up to you

Lets see you be a man for once in your tedious little life

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

The Nuernberg ring does exist, it's mainly dual carriageway, it's also
circumnavigated by Autobahn, the A3, the A9, the A73 and the A6

The Nurburgring isn't but, it is shown as one on german maps

Whatever, it would be "interesting " to see Dennis chugging round either
of them at 50km/h in his Corsair, or whatever POS he drives

And interesting from the point of view that he laid down a challenge and
he could actually redeem himself by actually turning up at either of the
above ...

big boy behind the monitor, yellow livered coward in real life

I notice that *you* didn't turn up

No you didn't

I was waiting for you to confirm that you were actually going to turn up

Liar, you chickened out when you realised that riding a bike in bad weather
was more than you could handle.

State where and when, lets do it

No chance, I have wasted enough time with you.
Go and fix some fans and be useful for once.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

I have a Tom Tom (fairly long in the tooth now) (510?) but I'm still
happy with it.
Who actually supplies updated information to Tom, such as new
roundabouts etc?

Me and other users.
You can edit and upload the edits on the newer tomtoms.

When I got the machine there was an almost brand-new suburban
roundabout which is shewn on Tom Tom, yet there are still a few
features which have been there for yonks which are _not_ displayed...

Which features? Some are harder to do so they don't get edited in by users.
Its impossible to edit in a new road for instance.
you can mark it so they can have a look but you can't put it in as a
routable road.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

You didn't turn up, I don't have time to waste on you.
I have a life to live and you don't feature in it.
You are insignificant, live with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 00:32, Frank Erskine wrote

Who actually supplies updated information to Tom, such as new
roundabouts etc?

I don't know for sure but some time ago I was told by someone who knew a
lot more about these machines than I do that all sat-nav suppliers use
one or other of only two map suppliers. (Names were quoted). I think
that might have been in a post to uk.rec.walking but can't be sure and
as only thread titles are now searchable I can't get at the original
information.

--
Roger Chapman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 03:53, geoff wrote:

We both put down £2000 which you lose if you don't turn up

He won't pay up. He still owes me £20,000 for betting that he had flown
less than me.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Chapman" wrote in message
On 07/11/2011 00:32, Frank Erskine wrote

Who actually supplies updated information to Tom, such as new
roundabouts etc?

I don't know for sure but some time ago I was told by someone who knew a
lot more about these machines than I do that all sat-nav suppliers use one
or other of only two map suppliers. (Names were quoted). I think that
might have been in a post to uk.rec.walking but can't be sure and as only
thread titles are now searchable I can't get at the original information.

Tomtom own one of the two, teleatlas being the other IIRC.
I have seen AZ road atlases more upto date than tomtom maps BTW.
An example would be the level crossing at Tipton railway station, the AZ of
Birmingham showed the new road bypassing it a long time before tomtom
updated the maps. In fact the AZ showed it before it was completed and open.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011 20:22:25 -0000
"dennis@home" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

I hate TomTom because they have terrible instructions for driving in
our village. They instruct lorry drivers to go the wrong way, they
don't tell them about the best way to approach our road, so making
them attempt a 150 deg turn outside our house, and they ignore a
one-way street that has been there for years. I have tried to
correct them on their website, for which I had to create an
account, but drivers still follow the same wrong-headed
instructions, relying entirely on their stupid TomToms instead of
using a map. Grrrrr.

tomtom do a specific version for trucks, maybe the truckers don't buy
it?

The driver said that his company used a version of TomTom's trucker
navigation maps.
I emailed the company, a 'responsible local business', but they were
too busy to reply to my complaint. Maybe a memory jog is due.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 10:52:49 +0000 (GMT)
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Davey wrote:
I hate TomTom because they have terrible instructions for driving in
our village. They instruct lorry drivers to go the wrong way, they
don't tell them about the best way to approach our road, so making
them attempt a 150 deg turn outside our house, and they ignore a
one-way street that has been there for years. I have tried to
correct them on their website, for which I had to create an
account, but drivers still follow the same wrong-headed
instructions, relying entirely on their stupid TomToms instead of
using a map.

And you can guarantee the map used will have up to date one way
streets? And how will that map tell them 'the best way to approach
your road'?

If, as I stated, the one-way road has been there for years, then
yes, I think it should be correct on current TomToms. If lorry
companies don't keep them up to date, then they are stupid for that
reason alone.
I don't know what TomToms tell people, I don't have one, but when lorry
drivers tell me that the same wrong way is the way the TomTom told them to come, I believe them. Anybody reading a real map
would not be so stupid, he would see that the turn is far too tight
for any lorry to make. Even vans have to take two shots at it. The
SatNav in my car tells me 'turn right' or 'turn left', or whatever,
it's also stupid in many cases. But it's French, so I'm not surprised,
but it tells me how to approach places, by directing me there. Don't
TomToms direct drivers, or are they too dumb? And if they don't, why do
the drivers tell me that they do?
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Davey wrote:
I don't know what TomToms tell people, I don't have one, but when lorry
drivers tell me that the same wrong way is the way the TomTom told them
to come, I believe them. Anybody reading a real map would not be so
stupid, he would see that the turn is far too tight for any lorry to
make.

From a map? I very much doubt it.

Someone so stupid to blindly follow instructions from a satnav would never
find where you are from a map anyway.

--
*Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Nov 2011 09:20:24 -0000, "dennis@home"
wrote:

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
.. .

I have a Tom Tom (fairly long in the tooth now) (510?) but I'm still
happy with it.
Who actually supplies updated information to Tom, such as new
roundabouts etc?

Me and other users.
You can edit and upload the edits on the newer tomtoms.

As you can also report errors and minor changes to Garmin (all most of
the other big brands no doubt).

https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

I believe Garmin licence (at least some of) their maps from Navteq.

http://www.navteq.com/

I believe it was Navteq who changed (tightened?) their licensing
policy to no longer allow Garmin users to load a new / updated maps
across more than one of their own GPS's. Luckily I 'enjoyed' that
feature for some time before it was removed (I would buy / get a new
GPS that would come with a new Map version then could apply it to my
other devices as well). ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Davey wrote:
I don't know what TomToms tell people, I don't have one, but when lorry
drivers tell me that the same wrong way is the way the TomTom told them
to come, I believe them. Anybody reading a real map would not be so
stupid, he would see that the turn is far too tight for any lorry to
make.

From a map? I very much doubt it.

Someone so stupid to blindly follow instructions from a satnav would never
find where you are from a map anyway.

I had a sectional building delivered.
They asked if their lorry would have any problems manoeuvring.
I sent them a Google maps link and said have a look, I don't drive your
lorry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2011 09:23, dennis@home wrote:

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds like your bottle has gone you little ******.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Frank Erskine" wrote in message

I have a Tom Tom (fairly long in the tooth now) (510?) but I'm still
happy with it.
Who actually supplies updated information to Tom, such as new
roundabouts etc?

Me and other users.
You can edit and upload the edits on the newer tomtoms.

**** me,

That route between your house and your day care centre must be TomToms most
documented road.

Can you spot all the signs whilst licking the rear windows of the special
bus?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Huge
writes
On 2011-11-06, geoff wrote:
In message , Huge
writes

Well, Nuremburg *does* have a ring (road);

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Nure...ny&hl=en&ll=49.
444691,11.087952&spn=0.066185,0.142136&geocode= FRiO8gIdIBOpAA&hnear=Nure
mberg,+Bavaria,+Germany&t=m&z=13&vpsrc=6

It does ...

And Dennis challenged me to a race around it

I think that the knobend confused it with the Nurburgring, don't you

Yep.

He's not alone, apparently. A steady stream of morons turn up in Nuremburg
looking for the Ring.

Well, here it is

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...erg.jpg&fileti
mestamp=20090128165655

(although the real one is the iron one round the other side)

He has still to either acknowledge his mistake or turn up at either
location

No surprise there, then.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

You didn't turn up,

Now dennis, dennis, dennis,

That really isn't the truth is it?

That bit of dutch courage brought about by rashly consuming TWO glasses
of white wine which took you back to when you were 7 and wanted to grow
up to be a racing driver (before the incident with the catholic priest)
made you think that you really could be a man.

Being somewhat geographically naive, you didn't know that the
Nurburgring and the Nuernberg ring were not one and the same. You still
haven't admitted to your ignorance on this point and said which one you
actually meant, there wasn't anywhere to turn up to as the location is
ambiguous.

You backed out you snivelling little worm

I don't have time to waste on you.

You have nothing but time since you were made redundant

I have a life to live and you don't feature in it.

So can you confirm that you

a) Didn't know the difference between the Nurburgring and the Nuernberg
ring

and

b) have backed out of the challenge you made

You are insignificant, live with it.

Not me dennis - I'm over 100kg
fairly significant

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

"geoff" wrote in message
[...]

Err, no dennis, stop bending the truth

There was no chickening out

Very different from saying that I don't fancy the Nurburgring in the
wet. It's clear that you've never been anywhere near it or have any clue
what it's like, but it's a serious racetrack, not the Dudley ring road

State where and when, lets do it

No chance,

So you are backing out then?

I have wasted enough time with you.
Go and fix some fans and be useful for once.

You can keep on saying these little things as much as you like

You're a spineless little ****e with no moral fibre

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om,
"dennis@home" writes

Davey wrote:
I don't know what TomToms tell people, I don't have one, but when lorry
drivers tell me that the same wrong way is the way the TomTom told them
to come, I believe them. Anybody reading a real map would not be so
stupid, he would see that the turn is far too tight for any lorry to
make.

From a map? I very much doubt it.

Someone so stupid to blindly follow instructions from a satnav would never
find where you are from a map anyway.

I had a sectional building delivered.
They asked if their lorry would have any problems manoeuvring.
I sent them a Google maps link and said have a look, I don't drive your

lorry.

Dennis, how many of these little stories you come up with are actually
true and how many are just bull****?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Davey wrote:
I don't know what TomToms tell people, I don't have one, but when lorry
drivers tell me that the same wrong way is the way the TomTom told them
to come, I believe them. Anybody reading a real map would not be so
stupid, he would see that the turn is far too tight for any lorry to
make.

From a map? I very much doubt it.

And antway, they would see the mapon the Satnav as well.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Dennis, how many of these little stories you come up with are actually
true and how many are just bull****?

It's probably safe to assume they are all bull****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Dennis, how many of these little stories you come up with are actually
true and how many are just bull****?

It's probably safe to assume they are all bull****.

Not for you it isn't, you are usually wrong about what you post.
geof doesn't even attempt to post anything useful.
Even when its a boiler problem he just tries to get business and doesn't
offer anything other than vague advice.
He hasn't taken up my offer of me not using anything he has worked on and
him not using anything he has as he still posts here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

geoff wrote:

Dennis, how many of these little stories you come up with are
actually true and how many are just bull****?

It's probably safe to assume they are all bull****.

Not for you it isn't, you are usually wrong about what you post.
geof doesn't even attempt to post anything useful.
Even when its a boiler problem he just tries to get business and doesn't
offer anything other than vague advice.
He hasn't taken up my offer of me not using anything he has worked on
and him not using anything he has as he still posts here.

Stop dribbling in your cornflakes, dennis. It puts everyone off their
breakfast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 11:16:31 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Maps are great if you have a passenger who can read them.

Or simply a clue and a memory.

That's one hell of a memory if you can use it to take to a street that you
have never been to before!

I've never owned and have no intention of owning a satnav - I've
absolutely no need for one. If they'd been around when I was
couriering, I'd probably have had one then, but only if the price was
sensible. I enjoy using maps, always have, and have seen too many
utter ****wits blindly relying on their satnavs make utter cockups to
want to join the brainless brood, thank you very much.

That was my view until a few years ago when I bought a SatNav. I still use
my memory or a map book to get to the town I want but I let the SatNav do
the final few miles directions.

It has over the years come up with some surprising routes that I had not
thought about.

Of course we also have very good signposts in this coutry so why anyone
would need a SatNav for directions on a motorway is beyond me.

--
Adam

To exit at the best suited junction for your final destination.
Simple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message m,
"dennis@home" writes

geoff wrote:

Dennis, how many of these little stories you come up with are
actually true and how many are just bull****?

It's probably safe to assume they are all bull****.

Not for you it isn't, you are usually wrong about what you post.
geof doesn't even attempt to post anything useful.
Even when its a boiler problem he just tries to get business and
doesn't offer anything other than vague advice.

He hasn't taken up my offer of me not using anything he has worked on

Err ... sorry, where did I ever make such a claim ?

and him not using anything he has as he still posts here.

Could you translate that into english?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]