Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pipe on diesel engine

Today we went to start our Mitsubishi - Vetus marine diesel engine, and
it wouldn't.
We tracked the problem to a pipe between the fuel pump and the injector
area.
The pipe was about 1.5cm o/d with metallic mesh on the outside. On our
way home we called at a hydraulic pipe shop who made up a replacement
pipe, swaging on the banjo at one end and connector at the other.

The replacement pipe is black, they said it had internal mesh rather
than external and is labelled EN853 2SN DN 6.3 -SAE 100 R2AT-04 plus
something about MAX W P.

I've googled briefly and it looks as though this pipe is normally used
for pressurised hot water amongst other things.

I will have to very slightly drill out the ring of the banjo to allow it
over the thread of the brass fitting. They also supplied a couple of
what look like rubber and steel 0-rings in case I can't get the copper
washers to seal.

The engine is about 80 miles away. I'd really like to get the engine
going when I'm back there on Saturday morning for the craning out, so
the question is will this pipe be OK with diesel in it for a year or
two? I understand we have to keep it away from the hottest parts of the
engine, but I think that should be possible. It seems only slightly
stiffer than the original.

As always, and help would be much appreciated.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Today we went to start our Mitsubishi - Vetus marine diesel engine, and it
wouldn't.
We tracked the problem to a pipe between the fuel pump and the injector
area.
The pipe was about 1.5cm o/d with metallic mesh on the outside. On our way
home we called at a hydraulic pipe shop who made up a replacement pipe,
swaging on the banjo at one end and connector at the other.

The replacement pipe is black, they said it had internal mesh rather than
external and is labelled EN853 2SN DN 6.3 -SAE 100 R2AT-04 plus something
about MAX W P.

I've googled briefly and it looks as though this pipe is normally used for
pressurised hot water amongst other things.

Hydraulic places usually only have hoses that can take oils, so diesel
should be fine in it, i gather you told them what it was for, i've had a
fair few pipes from a hydraulics place when i was building my motorhome,
from the 50mm pipe from the filler to the tanks, to 8mm pipes for the bleed
off rail, all have been normal stuff they have in stock and have been fine
for 8 years and counting.

I will have to very slightly drill out the ring of the banjo to allow it
over the thread of the brass fitting. They also supplied a couple of what
look like rubber and steel 0-rings in case I can't get the copper washers
to seal.

Sound like dowty seals, i use them on my injector pump banjo's, not had one
leak yet,
had a copper o ring on one of the filters that just wouldent seal properly
and sucked air in, a dowty seal sorted that out,

The engine is about 80 miles away. I'd really like to get the engine going
when I'm back there on Saturday morning for the craning out, so the
question is will this pipe be OK with diesel in it for a year or two? I
understand we have to keep it away from the hottest parts of the engine,
but I think that should be possible. It seems only slightly stiffer than
the original.

might want to check the hose complies with the boat safety certificate
stuff, i know they are pretty strict on what can and can't be used for fuel
lines, certian bs numbers being needed etc,
not long ago i believe there was a change, and people had to replace hoses
for exactly the same ones, but the new ones have a the bs number printed on
it where the old didnt, (same thing happened with fire extinguishers, even
tho some had the higher german TUV markings, it didnt have the right BS
kite, so wasnt allowed)

they are also anal about leak off pipes, prefering them to be metal with
screw fittings rather than flexi pipe pushed onto the nipples of the
injectors road vehicle engines use, of course the metal pipes fatigue due to
the vibrations and split then **** diesel all over the engine hole, but at
least they arent plastic or rubber pipes that can melt in a fire, and that's
all they seem to care about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:39:35 +0100, Bill wrote:

the question is will this pipe be OK with diesel in it for a year or
two?

If the supplier/maker knew what it was for, yes.