Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is flashing tape ok for box window ?

I've had my lead stolen from my kitchen window. It's about 1.3m x
450mm and I've used 'aluminium foil' bitumen based flashing tape to
cover it up. I painted some bitumen primer onto the rendering that I
patched up and it seems to have stuck OK.

I'm just wandering how long this stuff is meant to last for and also
can it be painted ? Would I have been better off using felt ?
I spent over 100 quid in Wickes on a role of the self adhesive felt
and underlay... however the chap next door who also had his lead
stolen sold me the unused half of the role of 300mm wide flashing
tape... Job done or keep the felt handy ?

Simon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I've had my lead stolen from my kitchen window. It's about 1.3m x
450mm and I've used 'aluminium foil' bitumen based flashing tape to
cover it up. I painted some bitumen primer onto the rendering that I
patched up and it seems to have stuck OK.

I'm just wandering how long this stuff is meant to last for and also
can it be painted ?

I have some of that on the carport.
Its lasted about 30 years.
However it has started to peel from the wall in places sometime in the last
5 years or so.
the tape is OK but the bitumen is failing.
I expect its the lack of care putting it up, no primer, no cleaning of loose
material, etc.

Would I have been better off using felt ?
I spent over 100 quid in Wickes on a role of the self adhesive felt
and underlay... however the chap next door who also had his lead
stolen sold me the unused half of the role of 300mm wide flashing
tape... Job done or keep the felt handy ?

Simon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 9:35*pm, " wrote:
I've had my lead stolen from my kitchen window. It's about 1.3m x
450mm and I've used 'aluminium foil' bitumen *based flashing tape to
cover it up. I painted some bitumen primer onto the rendering that I
patched up and it seems to have stuck OK.

I'm just wandering how long this stuff is meant to last for and also

5 minutes

can it be painted ?

yes, with bitumen.

Would I have been better off using felt ?

you'd be better off with anything more substantial than al foil

I spent over 100 quid in Wickes on a role of the self adhesive felt
and underlay... however the chap next door who also had his lead
stolen sold me the unused half of the role of 300mm wide flashing
tape... Job done or keep the felt handy ?

Simon

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
" writes:
I've had my lead stolen from my kitchen window. It's about 1.3m x
450mm and I've used 'aluminium foil' bitumen based flashing tape to
cover it up. I painted some bitumen primer onto the rendering that I
patched up and it seems to have stuck OK.

I'm just wandering how long this stuff is meant to last for and also

It's lasts 10-20 years on a rooftop. You might get longer in a
less exposed situation. A lot depends on how well it's bonded
on, and there being no relative movement.

--
Andrew Gabriel