Posted to alt.home.repair

Default drip pan flashing for window

We are replacing a large 4'x5' window in our brick home. We have had
several contractors in and some have said that at some point all windows
will leak, and they suggest putting in a drip pan under the window. Others
say that we don't need one and they won't install one.
What are the thoughts out there on drip flashing under the window?
Thanks
JD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 18, 9:13*pm, "JD" wrote:
We are replacing a large 4'x5' window in our brick home. *We have had
several contractors in and some have said that at some point all windows
will leak, and they suggest putting in a drip pan under the window. *Others
say that we don't need one and they won't install one.
What are the thoughts out there on *drip flashing under the window?
Thanks
JD

The window manufacturer will specify what is needed. Failure to
follow the directions of the manufacturer may void the warranty.

That said, You could probably substitute one of several brands of
flexible flashing (tape) for a metal flashing pan.

JK
Posted to alt.home.repair

"JD" wrote:

We are replacing a large 4'x5' window in our brick home. We have had
several contractors in and some have said that at some point all windows
will leak,

I suppose they are right if stated just like that. But I'm almost 60,
have lived in houses 100+ yrs old all my life, have installed a couple
dozen windows in 3 different houses, and have never seen a window
leak.

and they suggest putting in a drip pan under the window.

A pan? Or flashing? A pan holds water- flashing deflects it.

Others
say that we don't need one and they won't install one.
What are the thoughts out there on drip flashing under the window?

What does the manufacturer [who will be involved in warrantee work]
say & what are your local codes? If you're in hurricane, tornado or
monsoon country, then your needs are different than mine in the NE US.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Mar 18, 9:13*pm, "JD" wrote:
We are replacing a large 4'x5' window in our brick home. *We have had
several contractors in and some have said that at some point all windows
will leak, and they suggest putting in a drip pan under the window. *Others
say that we don't need one and they won't install one.
What are the thoughts out there on *drip flashing under the window?
Thanks
JD

FWIW, the JeldWen web site has window installation instructions that
specify drain elements. We used the system they recommended except
under a large sliding window where it was easier and neater to
fabricate a copper pan. The idea seems to be that if condensation
occurs inside, it has a route to the outside under the bottom of the
window, and thus protects the underlying wood framing from rot. Over
all, not that tedious to do.

Joe