Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default coffee on keyboard

Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

I have tried to sort out three of wifes Macs keyboards with zero success.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message ...
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down?

Keep head well down. ;-) IT support for friends & family is a thankless task and leads to long-term dependancy & grief.

Worth checking your house contents insurance if it happened in your own home. If you have an "All risks" policy it should be covered.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing T thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Does a new one cost more than the repair?

When (if) repaired, is it worth that much?

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

I'd not even try, and I've fixed loads of laptops ..
water/coffee/liquid gets everywhere and can leave residues that aren't
immediately obvious and which can show up later having 'eaten' a track
off a pcb ...

Personally I'd try a claim on home insurance first ..

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:24:16 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down?

If you can whistle, walk away slowly while carrying an innocuous tune
that conveys complete lack of technical skills .

In general, limit technical input to other peoples' computer problems to the
phrase:
"have you tried switching it off and on again?"

(unless it was you who drenched it in coffee, in which case blame the dog).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

I have tried to sort out three of wifes Macs keyboards with zero
success.

Oh, whats so "speacial" about a mac keyboard then? With PC ones you
can strip 'em down was the bits under the tap dry off, place in
airing cupboard to dry completely for 24 hrs and reassemble. Done it
several times.

A repair estmate of "several hundred ukp" sounds very much like a rip
off, surely even Apple can't justify more tha £50 for a brand new
keyboard.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

I have tried to sort out three of wifes Macs keyboards with zero
success.

Oh, whats so "speacial" about a mac keyboard then? With PC ones you
can strip 'em down was the bits under the tap dry off, place in
airing cupboard to dry completely for 24 hrs and reassemble. Done it
several times.

A repair estmate of "several hundred ukp" sounds very much like a rip
off, surely even Apple can't justify more tha £50 for a brand new
keyboard.

spilling coffee into a laptop can damage far more than the keyboard.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 11:50*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

I have tried to sort out three of wifes Macs keyboards with zero
success.

Oh, whats so "speacial" about a mac keyboard then? With PC ones you
can strip 'em down was the bits under the tap dry off, place in
airing cupboard to dry completely for 24 hrs and reassemble. Done it
several times.

A repair estmate of "several hundred ukp" sounds very much like a rip
off, surely even Apple can't justify more tha £50 for a brand new
keyboard.

OP said it was a laptop which was running at the time - the keyboard's
probably not the half of it
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

I have tried to sort out three of wifes Macs keyboards with zero
success.

Oh, whats so "speacial" about a mac keyboard then? With PC ones you
can strip 'em down was the bits under the tap dry off, place in
airing cupboard to dry completely for 24 hrs and reassemble. Done it
several times.

A repair estmate of "several hundred ukp" sounds very much like a rip
off, surely even Apple can't justify more tha £50 for a brand new
keyboard.

That is where separate Apple keyboards START mate. Now consider this is
a laptop...so it will be crammed in tighter than a sumo wrestlers
jockstrap..and all integrated with the motherboard..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Oh, whats so "speacial" about a mac keyboard then? With PC ones you
can strip 'em down was the bits under the tap dry off, place in
airing cupboard to dry completely for 24 hrs and reassemble. Done it
several times.

Indeed - with a basic separate desktop keyboard. But I'd guess it isn't
that simple with a laptop. Especially a Mac.

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 09:24:16 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down?

Do you have a way of getting data off the hard drive if you pull it from
the machine (or does she have a recent enough backup that she doesn't
care)?

What a (good) professional repair place might have is a stash of known-
good parts, so they can test keyboard, system board, PSU etc. in
isolation and only source/replace what's needed; it's a bit more
difficult at home (i.e. you might decide that the system board is dead
and order a replacement from somewhere, but then when you get it you find
that half the keys on the keyboard* don't work and the most economical
thing to do would be to replace that, too)

* most keyboard mechanisms come apart, but some are sealed in various
ways, such that it's hard to get contaminants out (not just moisture, but
things like scale deposits that are left behind even after drying)

If it were me I'd still do a dismantle/clean/dry/reassemble process and
just see - but there's no guarantee there'd be a working machine at the
end of it all (so it's more a case of setting expectations beforehand -
"I'll take a look" vs. "I'll fix it")

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In whill.co.uk,
Dave wrote:
Oh, whats so "speacial" about a mac keyboard then? With PC ones you
can strip 'em down was the bits under the tap dry off, place in
airing cupboard to dry completely for 24 hrs and reassemble. Done it
several times.

Indeed - with a basic separate desktop keyboard. But I'd guess it isn't
that simple with a laptop. Especially a Mac.

And, depending on the model and how old it is you may need a pentalobe
screwdriver to get anywhere near the insides.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 9:24*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

Offer to buy her a second hand one. 2nd hand PC laptops are from about
£160 with Vista and £180 with Win 7 around here. (Newcastle U Lyme.)

But you can get a complete station desktop running windows XP complete
with desk and scanner/printed for about £130.

To anyone for whom a Napple Laptop is a must-have, drinking coffee
whilst using it is a must not. Your daughter is not in that category.

Once you have prised her warm, sticky hands from her hot, cookied
computer, you can play with it to your hearst's content.

Major strip-down and rinse followed with a rinse or three of distilled
or deionised water.
And several weeks in the hairy cupboard.

Should be fixed in time for Christmess and make someone a really
crappy resent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's facilities
at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any serious electronic
testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

--

oops!

Anyone else remember the 'drain' spoof program that circulated in the very
early days of PCs ? Message comes up on screen saying 'water detected in
disk drive - spin cycle starting' accompanied by suitable accelerating
spinning sound with pouring water noise then deceleration. Fooled a few but
not many!

Good luck eating the apple

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2011 09:24, Tim Lamb wrote:
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

Well I'm that Hugh and I hate laptops because they are so difficult to
change or repair anything. I wouldn't touch it. Tough life lesson
unfortunately.

Nice tower and separate bits mean I can't fill it with coffee or other
drinks. If a part fails or I want to upgrade the possibilities are there.

But ...... soon we are anticipating living parts of the year in Spain
and parts in the UK.

Do we get laptops (with separate keyboards and monitors) that we can
move around or do we use desktops in each location and use the cloud a lot?

Might be posting soon on

advice on how to winterise UK house and
make it more secure.

and OT

where do I say I am based? Taxes for us work out about the same but you
cannot be resident for health services in 2 countries at the same time I
understand.

I want some sort of broadband and mobile phone availability including
data whenever I am in either country.

Think I'd better get a bigger hard drive to handle all the info I need
to gather. The list is endless.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

I have tried to sort out three of wifes Macs keyboards with zero
success.

Oh, whats so "speacial" about a mac keyboard then? With PC ones you
can strip 'em down was the bits under the tap dry off, place in
airing cupboard to dry completely for 24 hrs and reassemble. Done it
several times.

A repair estmate of "several hundred ukp" sounds very much like a rip
off, surely even Apple can't justify more tha £50 for a brand new
keyboard.

it's not just the price of the keyboard, it's the time it takes to
disassemble and reasmeble everything.
And that's provided the liquid did no other damage than to the KB
which is unlikely in a laptop.
Macs are also more precision made and don;t come apart quite as easily
as most PC laptops.

here's a utub vid of how to take apart a trypical mac laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4y3eZjSwAU

I'm sure those that have such accidents will be only to pleased if you
could repair them for
£50, fancy offering the service ;-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 2:58*pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

[...]

Someone should do an iPhone/iPad app to emulate that for April
1st :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

This is a cheap and quick way to take apart a Mac laptop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWhYlhfWCI

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2011 16:17, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Do we get laptops (with separate keyboards and monitors) that we can
move around or do we use desktops in each location and use the cloud a lot?

Even my wife has managed to not kill her laptop yet. Liquid on keyboard
is a danger, but they should be designed to stop the liquid getting
further than that - I've replaced one keyboard so far.

Even round the house I like the portability of a laptop - can't use a
desktop while lounging on the sofa...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
[...]

set up your won cloud with an online virtual server.

Then set up desktops. desktop is less than 200 if you take the screen
and keyboard with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
whisky-dave writes
wrote:
[...]

Interesting site. Ta.

The message I am getting is *avoid at all cost*:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 16:17:43 +0100, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
or do we use desktops in each location and use the cloud a
lot?

Can't you rsync the two locations so that you have a nice bit of
redundancy and so you're not putting information "out there" where it
might go awol or be subject to all sorts of rights issues?

Or desktops in each location and just carry a hard disk around with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Downie
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down?

Keep head well down. ;-) IT support for friends & family is a
thankless task and leads to long-term dependancy & grief.

Worth checking your house contents insurance if it happened in your own
home. If you have an "All risks" policy it should be covered.

Nice thought. I have suggested she claims on her own household insurance
but, as she lives on a canal barge, I don't hold out much hope.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Clive
George writes
On 26/10/2011 16:17, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

Do we get laptops (with separate keyboards and monitors) that we can
move around or do we use desktops in each location and use the cloud a lot?

Even my wife has managed to not kill her laptop yet. Liquid on keyboard
is a danger, but they should be designed to stop the liquid getting
further than that - I've replaced one keyboard so far.

Even round the house I like the portability of a laptop - can't use a
desktop while lounging on the sofa...

OK all.

Don't touch it message received.

The entire crop: parents + grand child, youngest + boyfriend + dog have
all been staying here for the last week.

Not an uncluttered horizontal surface in the entire house and trailing
cables from wallwarts from every available socket.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I feel SO much better. That's exactly what I want to do to anyone's MAC,
and to the owners too...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread,
I thought it worth running this by you.
Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.
Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.
Model unknown to me but I could find out.

Errrm, why don't you ask on uk.comp.sys.mac? You'll stand a chance of
getting a sensible answer.

Because they will want chapter and verse finding out which may raise
false hopes and involve me further than I am currently:-)

She is currently using a borrowed laptop so no great urgency.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Several hundred sounds cheap tbh. If the coffee has got to the logic board
it could be much higher.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

As others have said, avoid it!

If you do decide to have a go, then ifixit is the place for info for most
Apple stuff. I think the keyboard on some is actually supplied along with
the top bit of the case.

Laptops are a pain to dismantle, apple laptops are some of the worst

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook-...acement/6041/1

for example. Not trivial

Good luck!

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:51:00 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:
Not an uncluttered horizontal surface in the entire house and trailing
cables from wallwarts from every available socket.

Yeah, our dogs do that a lot, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Who gave the estimate? Someone that knows what they are doing?
sounds like an insurance job.

You may want to extract the disk drive and put it in a USB case and copy it
as people never backup their data properly.
It will become the property of the insurers when the new one arrives.

My cheap PC laptop has a sealed keyboard that is spill proof so I have no
idea why they all aren't.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down?

You could volunteer to copy the disk.

Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , charles
writes
In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 10:12:00 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

I have tried to sort out three of wifes Macs keyboards with zero
success.

Oh, whats so "speacial" about a mac keyboard then? With PC ones you
can strip 'em down was the bits under the tap dry off, place in
airing cupboard to dry completely for 24 hrs and reassemble. Done it
several times.

A repair estmate of "several hundred ukp" sounds very much like a rip
off, surely even Apple can't justify more tha £50 for a brand new
keyboard.

spilling coffee into a laptop can damage far more than the keyboard.

Normally accompanied by a hernia

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Well, you're welcome to pop down and see what we can do

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:31:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
My cheap PC laptop has a sealed keyboard that is spill proof

What sorts of fluids does it claim to be able to keep out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules Richardson" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:31:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
My cheap PC laptop has a sealed keyboard that is spill proof

What sorts of fluids does it claim to be able to keep out?

That is something you can test if you buy one.

I doubt if it would keep out certain solvents for long.

It showed a cup in the literature.. it would take geof to fill it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread,
I thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Well, you're welcome to pop down and see what we can do

There's kind!

I am still in low profile mode. She is working on a film location near
Barnet and commuting from here so I only see her briefly in the evening.

The hard drive is reportedly OK and I doubt the data is of huge
significance.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

I think it is a recent Macbook pro.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's facilities
at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any serious
electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Wouldn't this be covered on contents insurance?

I am sure that I have laptop loss/ accidental damage cover on mine along
with mobile phone cover

Regards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 12:18*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

If it's like any other laptop then the keyboard will be field
replaceable. On some it can be done very easily, from the keyboard
side, others require a few more screws to be removed. Keyboards are
not integarted with the motherboards in any meaningful way.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , geoff
writes
In message , Tim Lamb
writes
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T*
thread, I thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Well, you're welcome to pop down and see what we can do

There's kind!
I am still in low profile mode. She is working on a film location
near Barnet and commuting from here so I only see her briefly in the
evening.
The hard drive is reportedly OK and I doubt the data is of huge
significance.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

I think it is a recent Macbook pro.

But nonetheless, why are you not asking on a Mac-oriented NG?

Because I don't have enough information or knowledge to ask sensible
questions. I don't want to get involved in the Willy waving of the XP
memory thread:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TMC
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread,
I thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while
running. Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's
facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

-- Tim Lamb

Wouldn't this be covered on contents insurance?

I am sure that I have laptop loss/ accidental damage cover on mine
along with mobile phone cover

I would certainly expect this to be covered on my insurance should I
aspire to a laptop.

The suggestion has been forwarded to the owner.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:31:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
My cheap PC laptop has a sealed keyboard that is spill proof

What sorts of fluids does it claim to be able to keep out?

It must keep out dribble, unless nursie keeps wiping his mouth as he types.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Jules Richardson wrote:
On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 22:31:44 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
My cheap PC laptop has a sealed keyboard that is spill proof

What sorts of fluids does it claim to be able to keep out?

It must keep out dribble, unless nursie keeps wiping his mouth as he types.

He prolly pays extra for "special services"

--
geoff