Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default coffee on keyboard

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running.
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's facilities
at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any serious
electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

You could try a good dousing (holding keyboard upside down) with switch
cleaner

http://www.maplin.co.uk/switch-cleaner-27515

That's saved my bacon with a few beer-soaked electronic musical
instruments/effects!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 26, 10:31*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running..
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Who gave the estimate? Someone that knows what they are doing?
sounds like an insurance job.

You may want to extract the disk drive and put it in a USB case and copy it
as people never backup their data properly.
It will become the property of the insurers when the new one arrives.

My cheap PC laptop has a sealed keyboard that is spill proof so I have no
idea why they all aren't.

Perhaps it's something to do with the feel of those cheap sealed
keyboards people just don;t like typing on them.
Most KBs have a particular feel and when you've used a mac laptop KB
which are mostly backlit too
using a cheap KB feels like it.
The KB on my iPod touch is 'sealed', but I don;t like using it for
real typing, even my PC one is better.
A school teacher friend of mine has gone through two imac KBs one with
tea damaged the other with lager.
So the second time he 'invested' in a cheap USB KB via ebay £5.99 I
think, he said he just could touch type on it
as fast as his mac one (before diluting it) so he binned it and
ordered a Mac KB.

I'd like to know the spill restance of iPads, I doubt you should use
them in the bath but maybe a spill would be OK.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down?

You could volunteer to copy the disk.

* Apart from Geof's

facilities at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any
serious electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 2:18*pm, "Flynn" wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Following Hugh's comments on keyboard cleaning in missing *T* thread, I
thought it worth running this by you.

Daughter's relatively young Mac laptop drenched in coffee while running..
Repair estimate of several hundred ukp.

Do I show interest or keep my head well down? Apart from Geof's facilities
at Watford, I don't have access to cleaning baths or any serious
electronic testing tackle.

Model unknown to me but I could find out.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

You could try a good dousing (holding keyboard upside down) with switch
cleaner

http://www.maplin.co.uk/switch-cleaner-27515

That's saved my bacon with a few beer-soaked electronic musical
instruments/effects!- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for this Tim. I just poured coffee on my Vaio laptop and was
shattered to bits. Was too scared to do anything at the time cause the
thing was a 13.3" from the US and cost me a fortune. I'll try getting
this product from Maplin first thing tomorrow.
-John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 13:09:11 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Oct 28, 2:18*pm, "Flynn" wrote:
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

[...]

Don't think it is the right stuff:-
"Q) Hi, can the above be used to clean dried sticky coke off my
laptop?
A) No sorry this product does not support that."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 2:18 pm, wrote:
"Tim wrote in message

[...]

I used to spray switch cleaner into things like crackling volume
controls etc about 40 years ago. Marvellous but I have seen it suggested
since that it is a short term solution that actually makes thins worse
long term. As far as I now it is not going to shift water soluble stuff
like coffee residue.

A keyboard I was quite happy to dismantle and use wet kitchen towel to
wash off the various layers. If I could not dismantle a laptop to see
exactly what needed cleaning I would take it to an expert or recycle it.

I would be dubious about any cleaning operation on a miniature circuit
board but on a decent size one with decent gaps between the copper I
might give it a go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
I used to spray switch cleaner into things like crackling volume
controls etc about 40 years ago. Marvellous but I have seen it suggested
since that it is a short term solution that actually makes thins worse
long term.

Volume controls etc have a form of grease on the track. A cleaner washes
this off. So after cleaning you use some proper spray grease.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
I used to spray switch cleaner into things like crackling volume
controls etc about 40 years ago. Marvellous but I have seen it suggested
since that it is a short term solution that actually makes thins worse
long term.

Volume controls etc have a form of grease on the track. A cleaner washes
this off. So after cleaning you use some proper spray grease.

general silicone is good. or 'switch cleaner'