Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED replacement fluorescent tubes?

Seen a few of these recently - LED tubes which are a direct replacement
for fluorescent tubes. Manchester Airport terminal 1 arrivals carpark
has been fitted out with them, and they seem to have started using them
on the Merseyrail network.

They give a very good white light, and the directionality of the LEDs is
offset by the use of diffusers.

http://www.earlsmann.co.uk/sections/product/id/15

Any comments?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y
DA DA is offline

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...es-761598-.htm
DA wrote:
They give a very good white light, and the directionality of the LEDs is
offset by the use of diffusers.

http://www.earlsmann.co.uk/sections/product/id/15

Any comments?

Even with diffusers the light from LEDs is too directional and really hard
on the eyes. The shadows are too sharp and glares are too bright. Maybe
it's my age showing but I had LED lights over by workbench for three years
and always found myself needing to add more light even though the LEDs
were blindingly bright.

As it happens, the LED fixtures all burnt up (so much for 30,000 hrs life
span) and after some 10-15 repairs I just gave up and replaced the LEDs
with matching socket CFLs. I can now see what I'm working on even though
when you just look at the work area, you would not say it's become
brighter. It's just become easier to see things. Less glares and somehow
easier to see small parts.

I think what might have helped a bit is if the manufacturer would rotate
each row of LED slightly (just a couple degrees would do I think) to point
them in as much of a spherical pattern as possible. I can see however that
it would become a nightmare to manufacture such fixture - the robots that
populate the boards aren't really designed to insert parts at different
angles (and they're probably SMT anyhow).

So, yeah, after some early tries I'm still sitting on the fence regarding
LED lighting. The fence is illuminated by CFLs at the moment

-------------------------------------
/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL
VV-VV

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I must say that as close in task lighting, the leds seem good to many of my
partially sighted friends, but the new bodged main lighting systems now
coming out seem to be, well someone described the light as glaring and
pimpley, ie sort of as if the lights had lots of light and dark bits that
were not all light and dark at the same moment. Not exactly aflicker, more a
kind of interference pattern.

Anyone know what sort of psu these big uns use, are all leds on all the
time?

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

Seen a few of these recently - LED tubes which are a direct replacement
for fluorescent tubes. Manchester Airport terminal 1 arrivals carpark
has been fitted out with them, and they seem to have started using them
on the Merseyrail network.

They give a very good white light, and the directionality of the LEDs is
offset by the use of diffusers.

http://www.earlsmann.co.uk/sections/product/id/15

Any comments?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2011 16:05, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Seen a few of these recently - LED tubes which are a direct replacement
for fluorescent tubes. Manchester Airport terminal 1 arrivals carpark
has been fitted out with them, and they seem to have started using them
on the Merseyrail network.

They give a very good white light, and the directionality of the LEDs is
offset by the use of diffusers.

http://www.earlsmann.co.uk/sections/product/id/15

Any comments?

£80 for a 4' tube FFS!

Fluorescent Tubes Andrew Gabriel UK diy 15 July 7th 11 06:22 PM
Fluorescent Tubes harry UK diy 1 July 5th 11 10:07 PM
Fluorescent Tubes John Williamson UK diy 0 July 5th 11 10:05 PM
Fluorescent Tubes Way Back Jack[_4_] Home Repair 8 June 12th 09 05:16 AM
What to do with old fluorescent tubes Aidan UK diy 26 May 26th 05 02:17 PM