Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washing machine belt ( Ariston)

Has anyone successfully fitted a drive belt on an Ariston washing
machine( washer dryer). Its an A 1300 WD?

The machine is several years old but works ( worked) fine until the other
day. The back does NOT come off. You have to work through a couple of
holes and take just the top off.
We have a new belt drive. OH has been trying for two days to fit it. I know
on the internet it seems this machine is notorious for being very difficult
( someone described fitting the Ariston as a fete of herculean strength and
somewhere else a supplier warns that fitting this belt is very difficult (
would we had known before starting) but has anyone got any tips/ experience
for how to get this on?

Otherwise it is beginning to look like a new machine.
I know I always seem to have one trouble or another - thats because it does
seem as if I do.
Thanks for any advice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:
[...]

Angle grinder? Seriously, if access is the problem, chop a sufficient
piece of the rear panel away to be able to replace the belt. If you can
see down from above after removing the top panel, you can be sure not to
slice the innards. As you have the new belt, fitting it takes 5 minutes
maximum once you have access.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 9, 4:13*pm, Part Timer wrote:
[...]

It'll take much less time to slash your hand open on the new cut edge.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 4:13 pm, Part Timer wrote:
On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:

Angle grinder? Seriously, if access is the problem, chop a sufficient
piece of the rear panel away to be able to replace the belt. If you can
see down from above after removing the top panel, you can be sure not to
slice the innards. As you have the new belt, fitting it takes 5 minutes
maximum once you have access.

It'll take much less time to slash your hand open on the new cut edge.

Angle grinder seriously - Yes, that is what he has done! I have a kitchen
floor full of fine iron filings, a stink of hot cut iron and the back of the
machine in pieces on the floor and the back is like an opened tin BUT he got
the belt on the wheel and now HE THINKS I should be grateful and think he
is wonderful.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking he has ruined the machine?.

He did all of this whilst I was out getting a new machine and now he tells
me I have to cancel the order for the new machine because he has fixed the
old one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart wrote:

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 4:13 pm, Part Timer wrote:
On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:

Angle grinder? Seriously, if access is the problem, chop a sufficient
piece of the rear panel away to be able to replace the belt. If you can
see down from above after removing the top panel, you can be sure not to
slice the innards. As you have the new belt, fitting it takes 5 minutes
maximum once you have access.

It'll take much less time to slash your hand open on the new cut edge.

Angle grinder seriously - Yes, that is what he has done! I have a
kitchen floor full of fine iron filings, a stink of hot cut iron and the
back of the machine in pieces on the floor and the back is like an
opened tin BUT he got the belt on the wheel and now HE THINKS I should
be grateful and think he is wonderful.

Am I being unreasonable in thinking he has ruined the machine?.

No, its already established fact that you are an unreasonable idiot

He did all of this whilst I was out getting a new machine and now he
tells me I have to cancel the order for the new machine because he has
fixed the old one.

Good for him. Serves you right for being a silly cow

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2011 15:18, sweetheart wrote:

"NT" wrote in message
On Oct 9, 4:13 pm, Part Timer wrote:
On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:

Angle grinder? Seriously, if access is the problem, chop a sufficient
piece of the rear panel away to be able to replace the belt. If you can
see down from above after removing the top panel, you can be sure not to
slice the innards. As you have the new belt, fitting it takes 5 minutes
maximum once you have access.

It'll take much less time to slash your hand open on the new cut edge.

Angle grinder seriously - Yes, that is what he has done! I have a
kitchen floor full of fine iron filings, a stink of hot cut iron and the
back of the machine in pieces on the floor and the back is like an
opened tin BUT he got the belt on the wheel and now HE THINKS I should
be grateful and think he is wonderful.

Yay, well done OH. Sounds like he's solved the problem and saved you a
few hundred quid - given your attitude towards spending money that's got
to be a good thing surely?

Am I being unreasonable in thinking he has ruined the machine?.

What problems do you see the hole causing? Would a screwed or
pop-riveted on plate alleviate them?

He did all of this whilst I was out getting a new machine and now he
tells me I have to cancel the order for the new machine because he has
fixed the old one.

Sounds like you moved a bit too fast - despite saying you didn't want to
spend money, you've done so before eliminating all other options.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

o.uk...

"NT" wrote in message
[...]

a) he knew I was getting a new machine
b) if he wanted to fix the problem that way, yesterday was the day to do it
instead of spending the say swearing at me.
c) maybe you think a washing machine with a hole in the back with razor
sharp edges is fine. I don't.

I got a Miele by the way after all of you telling me. I didn't pay that
much. Only £700 because it was " ex display" ( not used just out of the
showroom.) and I got a full free delivery, free uplift of the old machine
( which I cant do now because its dangerous).

All in all I though I had done pretty well when I got there and saw they had
this machine on offer. Now I am stuck with an old one with a hole in the
back.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

[...]

Most washing machines I've seen spend their life with their back against
a wall, so yes, a hole would be fine. And no comment about my suggestion
for a screwed or pop-riveted on plate?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On Oct 9, 4:13 pm, Part Timer wrote:
On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:

Most washing machines I've seen spend their life with their back against a
wall, so yes, a hole would be fine. And no comment about my suggestion for
a screwed or pop-riveted on plate?

No, he thinks a piece of cardboard and masking tape is OK - and I have to do
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On Oct 9, 4:13 pm, Part Timer wrote:
On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:

Most washing machines I've seen spend their life with their back
against a wall, so yes, a hole would be fine. And no comment about my
suggestion for a screwed or pop-riveted on plate?

No, he thinks a piece of cardboard and masking tape is OK - and I have
to do it.

He is in fact right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On Oct 9, 4:13 pm, Part Timer wrote:
On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:

Most washing machines I've seen spend their life with their back
against a wall, so yes, a hole would be fine. And no comment about my
suggestion for a screwed or pop-riveted on plate?

No, he thinks a piece of cardboard and masking tape is OK - and I have
to do it.

Gaffer tape probably better than masking for that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:00:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

sweetheart wrote:

No, he thinks a piece of cardboard and masking tape is OK - and I have
to do it.

He is in fact right.

Not so sure - I would use duct tape.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sweetheart hotmail.com wrote:

Now I am stuck with an old one with a
hole in the back.

That's no way to speak about your OH

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message

On Oct 9, 4:13 pm, Part Timer wrote:
On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:

Angle grinder? Seriously, if access is the problem, chop a
sufficient piece of the rear panel away to be able to replace the
belt. If you can see down from above after removing the top
panel, you can be sure not to
slice the innards. As you have the new belt, fitting it takes 5
minutes maximum once you have access.

It'll take much less time to slash your hand open on the new cut
edge. Angle grinder seriously - Yes, that is what he has done! I have a
[...]

So do prostitutes

so yes, a hole would be fine.

again.....

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2011 19:06, ARWadsworth wrote:
sweethearthotmail.com wrote:

Now I am stuck with an old one with a
hole in the back.

That's no way to speak about your OH

I've gained some faith in "the OH"'s DIY abilities having read this thread.
Sweetheart, did he read it too while you were out spending the cash? I
think angle grinder was a good idea in the spirit of DIY. If I were you
I would keep the machine now until the next repair is needed. Think of
the MONEY!
NT: a strip of gaffa would protect the edges.
Clive George: I had pop-rivets and extra plates in mind if a patch up
was desired.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 19:05:09 +0100, Geo
wrote:

No, he thinks a piece of cardboard and masking tape is OK - and I have
to do it.

He is in fact right.

Not so sure - I would use duct tape.

Gorilla Tape is the dog's nuts.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 9, 4:13*pm, Part Timer wrote:

Angle grinder? Seriously, if access is the problem, chop a sufficient
piece of the rear panel away to be able to replace the belt.

Isn't an Ariston the one where there's no inner frame, and the only
strength for the machine comes from the case acting as a monocoque -
which is why you can't take the panels off. One of these with a hole
cut in the back my no longer be strong enough anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 6:26*pm, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

I got a Miele by the way after all of you telling me.

New car every three years and a Miele?

My sympathy is away over the bridge with the goats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news:cZGdnUzci50WkA7TnZ2dnUVZ8jWdnZ2d@brightview .co.uk...

"NT" wrote in message

On Oct 9, 4:13 pm, Part Timer wrote:
On 09/10/2011 09:51, sweetheart wrote:

Most washing machines I've seen spend their life with their back against a
wall, so yes, a hole would be fine. And no comment about my suggestion for
a screwed or pop-riveted on plate?

No, he thinks a piece of cardboard and masking tape is OK - and I have to do
it.

It does sound like hes being sensible and youre not. Sorry.

NT