Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of hiring a JCB

For interest only as I dont require one. I have just recently hired one in
Turkey for 10 hours (including operator) and was wondering what that would
have cost in the uk. I had to have a 3 x 3 x 3 meter hole dug out of almost
solid rock to put in a septic tank.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2011 22:03, SS wrote:
For interest only as I dont require one. I have just recently hired one in
Turkey for 10 hours (including operator) and was wondering what that would
have cost in the uk. I had to have a 3 x 3 x 3 meter hole dug out of almost
solid rock to put in a septic tank.

Depends on the size, and also if you drive it yourself or want someone
to do it for you. Our local equipment hire place does mini excavators
starting at about £80 for a day - or about three times that for a week.
You pay a bit more for larger ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/10/2011 22:03, SS wrote:
For interest only as I dont require one. I have just recently hired one
in
Turkey for 10 hours (including operator) and was wondering what that
would
have cost in the uk. I had to have a 3 x 3 x 3 meter hole dug out of
almost
solid rock to put in a septic tank.

Depends on the size, and also if you drive it yourself or want someone to
do it for you. Our local equipment hire place does mini excavators
starting at about £80 for a day - or about three times that for a week.
You pay a bit more for larger ones.

--
Cheers,

John.

It was the normal size not a mini one and with someone to do it took 10
hours and cost £200 including taking the rubbish away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:

It was the normal size not a mini one and with someone to do it took 10
hours and cost £200 including taking the rubbish away.

You mean a wheeled machine?

I'd expect that to cost GBP180-250 for the machine ( travelling in your
time) and driver and possibly a diesel surcharge for heavy digging. Even
more on a proper site with requirement for risk assessment, method
statement ans cpcs card.

Inert muck away will cost ~GBP25/tonne unless someone wants it.

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

SS wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/10/2011 22:03, SS wrote:
For interest only as I dont require one. I have just recently hired
one in
Turkey for 10 hours (including operator) and was wondering what that
would
have cost in the uk. I had to have a 3 x 3 x 3 meter hole dug out
of almost
solid rock to put in a septic tank.

Depends on the size, and also if you drive it yourself or want
someone to do it for you. Our local equipment hire place does mini
excavators starting at about £80 for a day - or about three times
that for a week. You pay a bit more for larger ones.

It was the normal size not a mini one and with someone to do it took
10 hours and cost £200 including taking the rubbish away.

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

--
Register as an organ donor with the NHS online. It takes 1 minute and
saves you carrying an organ donor card with you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
SS wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 07/10/2011 22:03, SS wrote:
For interest only as I dont require one. I have just recently hired
one in
Turkey for 10 hours (including operator) and was wondering what that
would
have cost in the uk. I had to have a 3 x 3 x 3 meter hole dug out
of almost
solid rock to put in a septic tank.

Depends on the size, and also if you drive it yourself or want
someone to do it for you. Our local equipment hire place does mini
excavators starting at about £80 for a day - or about three times
that for a week. You pay a bit more for larger ones.

It was the normal size not a mini one and with someone to do it took
10 hours and cost £200 including taking the rubbish away.

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

Image of JCB doimg the work...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...3-10-10011.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:

Image of JCB doimg the work...

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...3-10-10011.jpg

Pecker would cost an extra 80 quid

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

I've not filled a skip for years - a grab wagon takes 16m3 (3 skips worth)
and charges me £160

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Phil L wrote:
GB wrote:

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

I've not filled a skip for years - a grab wagon takes 16m3 (3 skips
worth) and charges me £160

Do you think that 27 cu m of excavated stuff would fit into two wagon loads?
How much does it bulk up when excavated?

--
Register as an organ donor with the NHS online. It takes 1 minute and
saves you carrying an organ donor card with you.
http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/ukt/h...me_a_donor.jsp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 2:16 pm, "SS" wrote:
"GB" wrote in message

SS wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
news:XYydnRZTns06CRLTnZ2dnUVZ8mydnZ2d@brightview .co.uk...
On 07/10/2011 22:03, SS wrote:
[...]

cesspit then?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 12:46 pm, "GB" wrote:
Phil L wrote:
GB wrote:

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

I've not filled a skip for years - a grab wagon takes 16m3 (3 skips
worth) and charges me £160

Do you think that 27 cu m of excavated stuff would fit into two wagon loads?
How much does it bulk up when excavated?

--

that was rock so
not much - 1/3rd?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2011 12:46, GB wrote:
Phil L wrote:
GB wrote:

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

I've not filled a skip for years - a grab wagon takes 16m3 (3 skips
worth) and charges me £160

Do you think that 27 cu m of excavated stuff would fit into two wagon loads?
How much does it bulk up when excavated?

Allow from 1.2 to 1.6 times expansion usually depending on what sort of
soil it is...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
On Oct 12, 12:46 pm, "GB" wrote:
Phil L wrote:
GB wrote:

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

I've not filled a skip for years - a grab wagon takes 16m3 (3 skips
worth) and charges me £160

Do you think that 27 cu m of excavated stuff would fit into two wagon loads?
How much does it bulk up when excavated?

--

that was rock so
not much - 1/3rd?

I've been told times 3 for soil.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 12, 1:30 pm, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
, Jim
K writes

On Oct 12, 12:46 pm, "GB" wrote:
Phil L wrote:
GB wrote:

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

I've not filled a skip for years - a grab wagon takes 16m3 (3 skips
worth) and charges me £160

Do you think that 27 cu m of excavated stuff would fit into two wagon loads?
How much does it bulk up when excavated?

--

that was rock so
not much - 1/3rd?

I've been told times 3 for soil.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

http://www.dur.ac.uk/~des0www4/cal/r...k/earthwk.html

seems "rock" is worse than I expected...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Phil L wrote:
GB wrote:

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

I've not filled a skip for years - a grab wagon takes 16m3 (3 skips
worth) and charges me £160

Do you think that 27 cu m of excavated stuff would fit into two wagon
loads? How much does it bulk up when excavated?

A grab wagon won't dig ... so it all has to be loose & piled up for it to
pick up.

You sure a grab wagon can take 32m3 ... seems a lot to me.

some other options to consider ... mini digger, will fill skips nicely, self
drive and will dig it out as well as fill barrow or whatever.

for filling ... skip-loaders are useful ..... saves effort of barrowing up
planks.
I had SWMBO driving the skip loader, while I operated mini digger (3 tonne
ver)