Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove wall fixing without pull down all the plaster

There are some wall fixings from a mirror the previous owners had up
in our lounge.
I'm about to remove them and realised the plaster has blown around
them and am very wary of pulling down half the wall (I speak from past
experience)

Has anyone got any ideas about the best way to remove the following
fixings:

http://i52.tinypic.com/qs5chk.jpg

Many thanks

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Charlie" wrote in message
There are some wall fixings from a mirror the previous owners had up
in our lounge.
I'm about to remove them and realised the plaster has blown around
them and am very wary of pulling down half the wall (I speak from past
experience)

Has anyone got any ideas about the best way to remove the following
fixings:

http://i52.tinypic.com/qs5chk.jpg

Many thanks

Charlie

Gently tap the head of the bolt and that should release the tapered collets
inside the raw bolt fixing. Take the bolt out and then ease the fixing out
with a screwdriver or the like.

If that fails..................Angle Grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 3:37*pm, "Baz" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote in message

There are some wall fixings from a mirror the previous owners had up
in our lounge.
I'm about to remove them and realised the plaster has blown around
them and am very wary of pulling down half the wall (I speak from past
experience)

Has anyone got any ideas about the best way to remove the following
fixings:

http://i52.tinypic.com/qs5chk.jpg

Many thanks

Charlie

Gently tap the head of the bolt and that should release the tapered collets
inside the raw bolt fixing. Take the bolt out and then ease the fixing out
with a screwdriver or the like.

If that fails..................Angle Grinder.

Baz,

Thanks for that, the bolts came out quite easily with that technique.

Now what about the other fixings, the ones with the little picture of
a fish on them? Should I try the same, there's nothing really to grab
hold of.

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 3:42*pm, Charlie wrote:
On Oct 6, 3:37*pm, "Baz" wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message

[...]

Eternal damnation if you mess woth them.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Oct 6, 3:37 pm, "Baz" wrote:
"Charlie" wrote in message

[...]

I thought that the top one was a clear rubber Sucker Hook thing. I don't
know what that is, can you read the writing?
Looking at it I would get a priest in.

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 4:06*pm, "Man at B&Q" wrote:
On Oct 6, 3:42*pm, Charlie wrote:

On Oct 6, 3:37*pm, "Baz" wrote:

"Charlie" wrote in message

[...]

Hmmm, that's the assumption I had made.
Anything I can try? I want to decorate the room. Paint with PVA and
fill?

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2011 16:48, Baz wrote:
wrote in message
On Oct 6, 3:37 pm, wrote:

[...]

A Fischer Fixing of some type...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2011 17:06, AlanD wrote:
On 06/10/2011 16:48, Baz wrote:
wrote in message
On Oct 6, 3:37 pm, wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Try this pdf - it is Fischers cataloge
http://www.fischer.co.uk/PortalData/...g_guide_en.pdf

I wonder if it is a screw in plasterboard fixing. Does it have what
looks like a posi screwdriver slot in the centre? - if it has then you
can just unscrew it (page 22 or so in the pdf

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2011 16:48, Baz wrote:
wrote in message

http://www.fischer.co.uk/PortalData/...systems/fixing...

I wonder if it is a screw in plasterboard fixing. *Does it have what
looks like a posi screwdriver slot in the centre? - if it has then you
can just unscrew it *(page 22 or so in the pdf

Malcolm

Hi Malcom,

No unfortunately the end is flat.

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Malcolm

Hi Malcom,

No unfortunately the end is flat.

Charlie

Like what someone said earlier, angle grinder. Start by attacking the
central rod. Is the dished washer below the plaster surface or above it?
If above, carry on grinding until you have released the washer from the
rod. If necessary grind away the washer completely. There will be some
mess but eventually you should end up with a hole which can be filled. A
standard 115 mm grinder will be a bit big, but should do it. If you have
a "dremel" type mini-grinder, the reinforced cutting disks should do the
job more delicately. I've never had that much success using grinding
stones to remove metal, but an air powered die grinder might work here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 9:26*pm, Newshound wrote:
Malcolm

Hi Malcom,

No unfortunately the end is flat.

Charlie

Like what someone said earlier, angle grinder. Start by attacking the
central rod. Is the dished washer below the plaster surface or above it?
If above, carry on grinding until you have released the washer from the
rod. If necessary grind away the washer completely. There will be some
mess but eventually you should end up with a hole which can be filled. A
standard 115 mm grinder will be a bit big, but should do it. If you have
a "dremel" type mini-grinder, the reinforced cutting disks should do the
job more delicately. I've never had that much success using grinding
stones to remove metal, but an air powered die grinder might work here.

Oh crap, that wasn't what I expecting. Guess I'm going to have hire an
angle grinder.
The washer is just proud of the plaster surface.

Charlie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 13:51:25 -0700 (PDT), Charlie
wrote:

Oh crap, that wasn't what I expecting. Guess I'm going to have hire an
angle grinder.
The washer is just proud of the plaster surface.

Angle grinder + plaster = big mess, dust everywhere...

Is taking a hammer and bashing it an option, perhaps using some sort of punch?
Pound until below the surface, firm up the cracked stuff with PVA, fill until
even?

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Oh crap, that wasn't what I expecting. Guess I'm going to have hire an
angle grinder.
The washer is just proud of the plaster surface.

Angle grinder + plaster = big mess, dust everywhere...

Is taking a hammer and bashing it an option, perhaps using some sort of punch?
Pound until below the surface, firm up the cracked stuff with PVA, fill until
even?

Thomas Prufer

As Newshound said earlier, hopefully I can remove the end of the
central rod with the angle grinder and then the washer will come off.
This way I won't have to touch the plaster with the angle grinder.

Might give it a quick pound though see if it budges.

Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charlie wrote:
I'm about to remove them and realised the plaster has blown around
them and am very wary of pulling down half the wall (I speak from past
experience)

I gave up trying to carefull remove fixings and filling in the
resultant holes
and went all-out to just completely replaster from scratch:
http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/10/111004.htm
"That's load-bearing wallpaper, that is"

I can understand if it's not a option though.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 8, 12:21*am, jgharston wrote:
Charlie wrote:
I'm about to remove them and realised the plaster has blown around
them and am very wary of pulling down half the wall (I speak from past
experience)

I gave up trying to carefull remove fixings and filling in the
resultant holes
and went all-out to just completely replaster from scratch:http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/10/111004.htm
"That's load-bearing wallpaper, that is"

I can understand if it's not a option though.

JGH

Holy Cow!!!
No, not really an option - decorators coming Tuesday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charlie wrote:
I'm about to remove them and realised the plaster has blown around
them and am very wary of pulling down half the wall (I speak from past
experience)

I gave up trying to carefull remove fixings and filling in the
resultant holes
and went all-out to just completely replaster from scratch:http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/10/111004.htm
"That's load-bearing wallpaper, that is"

I can understand if it's not a option though.

JGH

Holy Cow!!!
No, not really an option - decorators coming Tuesday.

I tried a pair of mole grips on the central shaft and it unscrewed
quite easily. Then the washer just flipped off no problem. I'm
guessing there was a screw head that sheared when a certain torque was
applied.

Thanks for all the help, got there in the end :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charlie wrote:
http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/10/111004.htm

Holy Cow!!!

Most of that came off as I pulled the wallpaper off.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 12:05*am, jgharston wrote:
Charlie wrote:
http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/10/111004.htm

Holy Cow!!!

Most of that came off as I pulled the wallpaper off.

JGH

Did they stick the wallpaper on with No Nails? :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Charlie wrote:
http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/10/111004.htm

Most of that came off as I pulled the wallpaper off.

Did they stick the wallpaper on with No Nails? :-)

I think it's more that they stuck the plaster on with spit and a
prayer.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, October 10, 2011 2:52:26 PM UTC+1, jgharston wrote:
Charlie wrote:
http://pics.mdfs.net/2011/10/111004.htm
Most of that came off as I pulled the wallpaper off.

Did they stick the wallpaper on with No Nails? :-)

I think it's more that they stuck the plaster on with spit and a
prayer.

I never really understood browning plaster. It seems to have no adhesive properties whatsoever and relies on mechanical fixing around mortar joints etc.
It is supposed to be good for high suction backgrounds so it must hold more water I suppose.
But I always use bonding plaster with the substrate PVA'd if it is high suction.
Simon.