Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Very heavy (6"?) butt hinges?

I need four very strong butt hinges for some double wooden gates. They need
to be about twice the strength of the usual heavy-duty 4" steel type such
as what can be bought at B&Q etc. They are probably need to be 6" long and
made fo 1/8" steel or similar.

Anyone know of a source?

Thank you

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 9:41*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I need four very strong butt hinges for some double wooden gates. They need
to be about twice the strength of the usual heavy-duty 4" steel type such
as what can be bought at B&Q etc. They are probably need to be 6" long and
made fo 1/8" steel or similar.

Anyone know of a source?

Thank you

Al

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P...ce_Hinge_152mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 6, 9:41 am, "AL_n" wrote:
I need four very strong butt hinges for some double wooden gates. They need
to be about twice the strength of the usual heavy-duty 4" steel type such
as what can be bought at B&Q etc. They are probably need to be 6" long and
made fo 1/8" steel or similar.

Why not use the usual gate hinges? I don't know what they are called,
but on the post there is an upturned pin and on the gate there is a
steel strap that wraps around the pin.
They are quite cheap, as I discovered after I made the wooden hinges
for my 12 foot wide gate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 9:41*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I need four very strong butt hinges for some double wooden gates. They need
to be about twice the strength of the usual heavy-duty 4" steel type such
as what can be bought at B&Q etc. They are probably need to be 6" long and
made fo 1/8" steel or similar.

Anyone know of a source?

Thank you

Al

Look in "Screwfix" catalogue also on line.
http://www.screwfix.com/c/ironmongery/hinges/cat840250
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote in
:

On Oct 5, 9:41*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I need four very strong butt hinges for some double wooden gates.
They ne

ed
to be about twice the strength of the usual heavy-duty 4" steel type
such as what can be bought at B&Q etc. They are probably need to be
6" long an

made fo 1/8" steel or similar.

Anyone know of a source?

Thank you

Al

Look in "Screwfix" catalogue also on line.
http://www.screwfix.com/c/ironmongery/hinges/cat840250

Thanks - I will take a look as soon as I can access the web again (seems to
be some kind of web-access FUBAR going on here at present...

Thanks also to 'dom'... will take a look...

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 7, 8:26 am, "AL_n" wrote:
Matty F wrote in news:13a9d849-2935-4ed2-8202-
:

Why not use the usual gate hinges? I don't know what they are called,
but on the post there is an upturned pin and on the gate there is a
steel strap that wraps around the pin.
They are quite cheap, as I discovered after I made the wooden hinges
for my 12 foot wide gate

They seem to be about 30 for two pairs; not my idea of inexpensive.
However, due to the unusual design of the gate, I can't use anything with a
long 'arm'.

Well, if you want cheap, here's one of my wooden hinges, using second-
hand bolts and a bit of bent steel.
I just extended the rail of the gate a bit and drilled a hole in it:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2aeo5mu.jpg

There's 12 feet of gate on the right of the hinge, and it seems to
work fine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 5, 9:41*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I need four very strong butt hinges for some double wooden gates. They need
to be about twice the strength of the usual heavy-duty 4" steel type such
as what can be bought at B&Q etc. They are probably need to be 6" long and
made fo 1/8" steel or similar.

Anyone know of a source?

Thank you

Al

How about these?
https://www.macbuildingproducts.com/...oducts_id=2145
The photo in http://www.ironmongeryonline.com/pro...Colour/738/gs/
gives a different view, assuming they're not using the same name for a
different product.
Or you could look on eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150mm-6-In...item1e5d83d099

It's difficult to be absolutely sure from the photographs, but they
look similar to some which I bought a while ago from my local
architectural ironmongers - the flaps of these are a double thickness
of steel and about 4 or 5mm thick in total. (I can't measure them now,
of course!)
Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message ...

I need four very strong butt hinges for some double wooden gates. They need
to be about twice the strength of the usual heavy-duty 4" steel type such
as what can be bought at B&Q etc. They are probably need to be 6" long and
made fo 1/8" steel or similar.

Anyone know of a source?

Use standard 6" hinges and add a wheel at the end of the gate to support the
weight and provide a more easy opening. No weight at the end where the wheel
is will also lessen the effect of drop across the gate over a period of
time.

Dare I suggest a wheel from a supermarket trolley etc ;-)