Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Copper wire and moss!

Some while ago, I read on (I think) this forum that bare copper wire
was a good solution to the prevention of moss growing on roofs.

Well it works quite well. Not a trace of moss on my garage roof. Its a
slightly sloping corrugated roof and what used to happen was the moss
would clog up the channels, then the rain would back up and overflow
the joints.

I just ran some stripped from 2.5mm T&E (2x2.5 + 1x1.5), bared copper
wire loosely laid across the roof from one side to the other, close to
the high end - last year I think.

Since when, nil moss growth.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 2, 4:52*pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Some while ago, I read on (I think) this forum that bare copper wire
was a good solution to the prevention of moss growing on roofs.

Well it works quite well. Not a trace of moss on my garage roof. Its a
slightly sloping corrugated roof and what used to happen was the moss
would clog up the channels, then the rain would back up and overflow
the joints.

I just ran some stripped from 2.5mm T&E (2x2.5 + 1x1.5), bared copper
wire loosely laid across the roof from one side to the other, close to
the high end - last year I think.

Since when, nil moss growth.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Lead has a similar effect. Copper sulphate/carbonate is the active
ingredient in traditional "Cheshunt compound" gardeners fungus killer.
Now banned by the EU. Typical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message

I just ran some stripped from 2.5mm T&E (2x2.5 + 1x1.5), bared copper
wire loosely laid across the roof from one side to the other, close to
the high end - last year I think.

Since when, nil moss growth.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Lead has a similar effect. Copper sulphate/carbonate is the active
ingredient in traditional "Cheshunt compound" gardeners fungus killer.
Now banned by the EU. Typical.

If the pikeys notice copper or lead on your roof they'll nip up and nick it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 19:07:14 +0100, John
wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

I just ran some stripped from 2.5mm T&E (2x2.5 + 1x1.5), bared copper
wire loosely laid across the roof from one side to the other, close to
the high end - last year I think.

Since when, nil moss growth.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Lead has a similar effect. Copper sulphate/carbonate is the active
ingredient in traditional "Cheshunt compound" gardeners fungus killer.
Now banned by the EU. Typical.

If the pikeys notice copper or lead on your roof they'll nip up and nick
it.

Similar to Bordeaux Mixture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture

No ideas of its veracity, but Wiki says it is still used in Bordeaux...

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"harry" wrote in message

I just ran some stripped from 2.5mm T&E (2x2.5 + 1x1.5), bared copper
wire loosely laid across the roof from one side to the other, close to
the high end - last year I think.

Since when, nil moss growth.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Lead has a similar effect. *Copper sulphate/carbonate is the active
ingredient in traditional "Cheshunt compound" gardeners fungus killer.
Now banned by the EU. Typical.

If the pikeys notice copper or lead on your roof they'll nip up and nick *
it.

Similar to Bordeaux Mixture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bordeaux_mixture

No ideas of its veracity, but Wiki says it is still used in Bordeaux...

--
Rod- Hide quoted text -

Same stuff. I think "Chesunt" is a brand name. Or was.
It saved the Irish from another potato famine when eventually
discovered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson expressed precisely :
T'was me !!!! I claim my reward.