Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default does it need undercoating

From: "Pete"
Subject: Does it need priming
Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

I'm about to paint some doors at home, they are old wood effect looking
manky looking things (love the description lol). I guess I give it a gentle
rub down but does this need undercoating or should I just get straight on to
the glossing ?
A few reviews on b&q suggest I can paint straight on with a certain paint
http://tinyurl.com/63ko8ht
under additional info it says no undercoat required! .. also says extra
hiding power which I have no idea what that means lol..
What do you reckon ... reviews look favourable .. I was thinking either that
or
http://tinyurl.com/647vndn
I'm after a strong finish as it will be on a door and with kids dirty hands
here and there it may need a gentle baby wipe, otherwise satin wood would be
a nicer look but hey ho.

Advice welcomed on which way to go...

Thank you kindly ... very much so as you guys help me so much!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: "Pete"
Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

I'm about to paint some doors at home, they are old wood effect looking
manky looking things (love the description lol).

You may love it, but its important to work out what it really is.

most paints won't take to plastic well.

I guess I give it a gentle
rub down but does this need undercoating or should I just get straight on to
the glossing ?

If its never been painted at all you need primer then undercoat then gloss.

Id strongly suggest you take the whole thing off and try a bit of car
spray paint on it. Its bloody easy to get a decent finish with car spray
primer plus car spray top coat..:-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

[...]

If what you describe is synthetic doors, they will need a gripping
primer like
http://www.crowntrade.co.uk/Products...ingPrimer.aspx

Then undercoat and gloss ... the one coat combines both ... and the non
drip makes it thick. Good or bad can't tell, I have never used
non-drip anything.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: "Pete"
Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

I'm about to paint some doors at home, they are old wood effect looking
manky looking things (love the description lol). I guess I give it a
gentle
rub down but does this need undercoating or should I just get straight on
the glossing ?

Advice welcomed on which way to go...

Thank you kindly ... very much so as you guys help me so much!

Sand it back ... if it goes to bare wood .. then primer first then
undercoat then 2nd undercoat then one of gloss

'If' there is very little bare wood, skip the primer.

Remember undercoat does the build & gives the protections, top is just the
shine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: "Pete"
Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

[...]

Its possible to paint such things with no undercoat, but I reckon
you'd regret it. Unless you're really brassic, get the undercoat. Or
if things are that bad, go to poundland and get a £1 oil based matt
finish (eggshell etc) pale colour, use that as undercoat.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

From: "Pete"
Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

[...]

I'd second responses that say you definitely need undercoat with
conventional gloss, having made the mistake myself! I've never had
much joy with the water-based 'gloss' paints, which seem to have real
trouble adhering to almost any surface.
For a quick and cheerful result though, I'd go for the Crown one-coat
gloss. Not far off real gloss in terms of result and much quicker as
it gives a decent cover and finish in one go. Just like real gloss,
it does take a while to dry properly.
Can't recommend the Dulux version (which you might imagine would be
pretty much identical): that was a real pain to work with.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message

From: "Pete"
Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

I'm about to paint some doors at home, they are old wood effect looking
manky looking things (love the description lol). I guess I give it a gentle
rub down but does this need undercoating or should I just get straight on to
the glossing ?
A few reviews on b&q suggest I can paint straight on with a certain paint
http://tinyurl.com/63ko8ht
under additional info it says no undercoat required! .. also says extra
hiding power which I have no idea what that means lol..

[snip]

Can't comment on the B&Q paint itself having not used it but the
term "Extra Hiding Power" means is has good coverage or
obliterates the underneath colour, but this would still depend on
the colour underneath anyway.

One coat paint formulations tend to be thicker then normal gloss
so I would imagine more filler or pigment has been used to bulk it
up, which would lend toward not needing an undercoat.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.