Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default does it need undercoating

In message
"Pete" wrote:

From: "Pete"
Subject: Does it need priming
Date: 14 September 2011 21:27

I'm about to paint some doors at home, they are old wood effect looking
manky looking things (love the description lol). I guess I give it a gentle
rub down but does this need undercoating or should I just get straight on to
the glossing ?
A few reviews on b&q suggest I can paint straight on with a certain paint
http://tinyurl.com/63ko8ht
under additional info it says no undercoat required! .. also says extra
hiding power which I have no idea what that means lol..

[snip]

Can't comment on the B&Q paint itself having not used it but the
term "Extra Hiding Power" means is has good coverage or
obliterates the underneath colour, but this would still depend on
the colour underneath anyway.

One coat paint formulations tend to be thicker then normal gloss
so I would imagine more filler or pigment has been used to bulk it
up, which would lend toward not needing an undercoat.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.