Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 100mm flexible flue liner, and fixing same

I'm installing a radiant gas fire. On the back of the fire is an exhaust
outlet, 95mm (3 3/4") dia. It projects about 3". The bottom of my chimney
is currently sealed off with a piece of board. I'd like to cut a 4" dia
hole in that board and use a short length of flexible flue liner going from
the hole, to the outlet on the back of the fire.

Is this OK to do? As the outlet is 95mm dia and the flexible flue liner
would be 100mm dia (I presume), what should I use to pad out the 5mm space,
such that the flexible liner can be pushed onto the exhaust oulet, and be
reasonably gas tight.

Where can I obtain a short length of 4" flexible flue liner? Can it be
bought by the metre anywhere? What materials are suitable?

Thanks...

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:

I'm installing a radiant gas fire. On the back of the fire is an exhaust
outlet, 95mm (3 3/4") dia. It projects about 3". The bottom of my chimney
is currently sealed off with a piece of board. I'd like to cut a 4" dia
hole in that board and use a short length of flexible flue liner going from
the hole, to the outlet on the back of the fire.

Is this OK to do? As the outlet is 95mm dia and the flexible flue liner
would be 100mm dia (I presume), what should I use to pad out the 5mm space,
such that the flexible liner can be pushed onto the exhaust oulet, and be
reasonably gas tight.

I do everything in my house, fitted a gas hob, boiler etc, but I
wouldn't think of fitting a gas fire, as I know nothing about flue
requirements,and even less about testing them, and it seems you do not
too, so just get a gas man in to do it, then you know you won't be
killed by carbon monoxide poisoning.

Also, is it a wooden board? If so, I dont think you should be putting a
flue close to it.
Alan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/09/2011 19:52, AL_n wrote:
I'm installing a radiant gas fire. On the back of the fire is an exhaust
outlet, 95mm (3 3/4") dia. It projects about 3". The bottom of my chimney
is currently sealed off with a piece of board. I'd like to cut a 4" dia
hole in that board and use a short length of flexible flue liner going from
the hole, to the outlet on the back of the fire.

Is this OK to do? As the outlet is 95mm dia and the flexible flue liner
would be 100mm dia (I presume), what should I use to pad out the 5mm space,
such that the flexible liner can be pushed onto the exhaust oulet, and be
reasonably gas tight.

Where can I obtain a short length of 4" flexible flue liner? Can it be
bought by the metre anywhere? What materials are suitable?

Thanks...

BS 5440-1:2000 and
BS 5871-1:2005 are your friends here...

You may be able to download them from your local library's web site.
Drop me an email if you can't, I may be able to point you at an
alternative source ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote in
:

On 08/09/2011 19:52, AL_n wrote:
[...]

Thanks - I found them online - valuable for making sure the job complies
with building regs, at least...

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2011 09:20, AL_n wrote:
John wrote in
:

On 08/09/2011 19:52, AL_n wrote:
[...]

Yup, more to the point they cover pretty much every flue option out
there. With most gas fires under 7kW in front of a chimney, you only
need a closure plate cut[1] to match the flue spigot on the back of the
fire. So long as the chimney has draught (check with a smoke match),
then it should be fine.

[1] If using the normal galvanised mild steel fairly floppy stuff, then
a stanley knife drawn a few times over each cut (against a steel rule if
a straight cut) will do the cutting. Once the flue hole is scored out,
small screwdriver close to the score, tapped through with a hammer will
start the scored bit popping out, it can then be torn out with pliers.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in
:

I'm installing a radiant gas fire. On the back of the fire is an
exhaust outlet, 95mm (3 3/4") dia. It projects about 3". The bottom of
my chimney is currently sealed off with a piece of board. I'd like to
cut a 4" dia hole in that board and use a short length of flexible
flue liner going from the hole, to the outlet on the back of the fire.

Is this OK to do? As the outlet is 95mm dia and the flexible flue
liner would be 100mm dia (I presume), what should I use to pad out the
5mm space, such that the flexible liner can be pushed onto the exhaust
oulet, and be reasonably gas tight.

Where can I obtain a short length of 4" flexible flue liner? Can it be
bought by the metre anywhere? What materials are suitable?

Thanks...

Al

You should follow the manufactuers installation instructions.You would
see tha the fire will not be connected directly to a flue liner or any
other type of flue pipe. Only a back boiler may be connected directly to a
flexible liner.

The flue spiggot on the back would go into a hole of suitable size to
accomodate it in a closure plate.

The closure plate will be of non combustable material (usually aluminium
or mild steel.

The cosure plate will replace the board currently covering the fireplace
opening.
The catchment space behind the closure plate and the chimney must be swept
clean and the chimney terminal inspected as to suitability.