Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Default Fischer Universal Frame Fixing 10 × 100mm?

Has anyone used these frame fixings?

Are they any better than

I need to fit a softwood timber window to cavity wall.

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Thanks fred.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article .co
m, bob writes
Has anyone used these frame fixings?

Are they any better than

I need to fit a softwood timber window to cavity wall.

I haven't used those in particular but have found Fischer hammer and cavity
fixings to be top notch and worth the extra plus the torx head stops the
cam out that you might get on larger pozi headed fixings, the screwfix
basics I'd describe as 'adequate'.

They are both the same thing but from differnt suppliers. Most people
ordering them refer to them as Fischer fixings and thus the customer
gets to pay for the name if he isn't careful.

"Nylon fixings for fixing timber to masonry. Heavy ribbing ensures a
tight hold in aerated blocks."
They are both ideal for fixing into that papier mache that goes inside
some modern housing (marginally better than reformed bean tins that go
inside others.) Drill gently with the right sized bit. For that pumice
stuff yu can use an old metal bit.

Then they just push fit with gentle hamer taps.

But for fixing a window, the fixings go into the exterior brickwork
which is hard enough to support real screws and nails. Or are you
using those bloody awful brackets? What is the outer skin?

If you are using those brackets, then ordinary clouts will do as they
are held in place with the plaster-work until a few strong gales make a
fool of you. Windows take an amazing amount of pressure and flexing
from them puts a lot of strain on their fixings.

I suppose with modern foam adhesives, the things will be safe enough
supposing the resin won't break down in a few decades. But I'd put my
money in bricks and mortar with anything designed to come out after a
few years being removed with a simple screwdriver.

But don't let me put you off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've gone over to using these things:

with the advantage that no preinserted plug is required - but the
caveat that you must use the correct diameter drill and not a "nearly"
size.

Perdrill item to mount to masonry, wedge/clamp in position, drill
through that hole and into the masonry, insert and tighten fixing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-08-12 14:53:11 +0100, fred said:

I have previously thought the same but when I needed something for a job
that _had_ to be done on a certain day I bought the cheapies and the
Fishers to see if it was worth the extra. Come the day it was the Fishers
that went in first time every time & the screwfix cheapies cam'd out a half
inch before completion (in a big size) so I buy what experience has told me
is a better fitting. The cheapies will work 90% of the time but I want
something that works 100% of the time.

Bloody hell, this could be an AH post :-D.

Yer working well :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
bob bob is offline

Thanks all. Just one more question: should I go for 8x100mm or
10x100mm, will the latter be stronger?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall
writes
On 2006-08-12 14:53:11 +0100, fred said:

I have previously thought the same but when I needed something for a job
that _had_ to be done on a certain day I bought the cheapies and the
Fishers to see if it was worth the extra. Come the day it was the Fishers
that went in first time every time & the screwfix cheapies cam'd out a half
inch before completion (in a big size) so I buy what experience has told me
is a better fitting. The cheapies will work 90% of the time but I want
something that works 100% of the time.

Bloody hell, this could be an AH post :-D.

Yer working well :-)

Don't get too excited, I drilled the holes with my 12.99 SDS (that was both
the price and its weight in kg ;-)
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy Hall
writes
On 2006-08-12 14:53:11 +0100, fred said:

I have previously thought the same but when I needed something for a job
that _had_ to be done on a certain day I bought the cheapies and the
Fishers to see if it was worth the extra. Come the day it was the Fishers
that went in first time every time & the screwfix cheapies cam'd out a half
inch before completion (in a big size) so I buy what experience has told me
is a better fitting. The cheapies will work 90% of the time but I want
something that works 100% of the time.

Bloody hell, this could be an AH post :-D.

Yer working well :-)

Don't get too excited, I drilled the holes with my 12.99 SDS (that was both
the price and its weight in kg ;-)

I hope there were lots of fixings needed in the top of the frame ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article . com,
bob writes
Thanks all. Just one more question: should I go for 8x100mm or
10x100mm, will the latter be stronger?

I'd say 8mm would be fine, 100mm gives 50mm in the frame + 50mm in
the brick, again fine.

My windows are sliding sash so the fix is a little different but the largest at
2.4m x 1.2m and are easily held by 3 off 8mm Fischer plugs & 2x10
screws on either side, rock solid.

Watch out for overtightening or the frame will be pulled out of shape.