Bob Smith

Default Fixing a mirror into a wooden frame

I want to fix a mirror into a wooden frame, and have decided to use silicone
sealant.

Is it flexible enough so that the mirror won't get broken as the wood
expands and contracts?

The mirror is about 4 inches across the grain, and 10 inches with the grain,
in a pine frame.

Thanks

Bob

Nick Nelson

Bob Smith wrote:

I want to fix a mirror into a wooden frame, and have decided to use silicone
sealant.

Is it flexible enough so that the mirror won't get broken as the wood
expands and contracts?

The mirror is about 4 inches across the grain, and 10 inches with the grain,
in a pine frame.

Provided it isn't an old and valuable mirror (among other things the
silicone might affect the silvering badly) I'd think this would be
fine.

Nick
PM

"Nick Nelson" wrote in message

Bob Smith wrote:

I want to fix a mirror into a wooden frame, and have decided to use

silicone
sealant.

Is it flexible enough so that the mirror won't get broken as the wood
expands and contracts?

The mirror is about 4 inches across the grain, and 10 inches with the

grain,
in a pine frame.

Provided it isn't an old and valuable mirror (among other things the
silicone might affect the silvering badly) I'd think this would be
fine.

Have you seen http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...14491&ts=87967

Pete

Bob Smith

Have you seen

I have now, thanks. I assume it does not have the same destructive powers
of silicone sealant, since it is meant for mirrors.

In another NG, they suggested panel pins. I would think I would have to put
a sheet of cardboard between for that, so I don't get a scratched mirror
over time.

Bob

stuart noble

Bob Smith wrote in message ...
In another NG, they suggested panel pins. I would think I would have to

put
a sheet of cardboard between for that, so I don't get a scratched mirror
over time.

For that size glass, 3/4" panel pins. Lay the pin flat on the cardboard,
push down hard and whack it with the edge of a flat sided chisel or similar.
Difficult with a hammer.

Bob Smith

stuart noble wrote:
Bob Smith wrote in message ...
In another NG, they suggested panel pins. I would think I would
have to put a sheet of cardboard between for that, so I don't get a
scratched mirror over time.

For that size glass, 3/4" panel pins. Lay the pin flat on the
cardboard, push down hard and whack it with the edge of a flat sided
chisel or similar. Difficult with a hammer.

I actually have a panel pin pusher that I have only used once before, that
should do the trick.

Bob

stuart noble

Bob Smith wrote in message ...
stuart noble wrote:
Bob Smith wrote in message ...
In another NG, they suggested panel pins. I would think I would
have to put a sheet of cardboard between for that, so I don't get a
scratched mirror over time.

For that size glass, 3/4" panel pins. Lay the pin flat on the
cardboard, push down hard and whack it with the edge of a flat sided
chisel or similar. Difficult with a hammer.

I actually have a panel pin pusher that I have only used once before, that
should do the trick.

Not ideal because the pin will be at an angle equal to the size of the
pusher's handle plus your fingers, and often the rebate isn't deep enough
for an angled pin.The beauty of the chisel method is that the pin goes in
flat *and* square and stops the glass rattling. For a one-off small mirror
you could always bend the pins flat.

Wooden worktops Jon Brooke UK diy 10 October 3rd 03 01:07 AM
Espagnolette handles for wooden doors/windows Colin Blackburn UK diy 7 September 23rd 03 02:45 AM
Gloss Paint Removal on Wooden Door Frame Adam Pj UK diy 1 September 3rd 03 12:41 PM
Ideas for fixing up driveway Ian Robinson UK diy 12 August 6th 03 12:36 PM