Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No Flue Liner With New Furnace

I am currently having a new furnace and a/c unit installed. When I
asked if they had the flue liner installed, which was part of the
quoted job, they said they could not get it in because the chiminey
made a sharp turn. He said that it would be ok because the ceramic
liner that is in place is fine. Any thoughts my situation?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am no expert on this subject, but if memory serves, the issue is
velocity of the flue gases. Your current chimney likely has a much
large cross section than the new flue pipe would have had, and so the
hot gases will cool too early in their upward transit, condensing out
more water in the chimney. Maybe even increase the risk of the gases
settling back down into your basement.

Our own chimney required a flexible flue liner to be pulled into place,
allowing it to navigate a significant bend.

emichael brandt

..
joeblow wrote:
I am currently having a new furnace and a/c unit installed. When I
asked if they had the flue liner installed, which was part of the
quoted job, they said they could not get it in because the chiminey
made a sharp turn. He said that it would be ok because the ceramic
liner that is in place is fine. Any thoughts my situation?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pj Pj is offline

joeblow wrote:
I am currently having a new furnace and a/c unit installed. When I
asked if they had the flue liner installed, which was part of the
quoted job, they said they could not get it in because the chiminey
made a sharp turn. He said that it would be ok because the ceramic
liner that is in place is fine. Any thoughts my situation?

It'll be okay.

It would help to know what type of furnace you installed. If it's gas
there will be some heat going up the chiminey but not enough to cause a
problem. Ask your gas company why the liner is recommended and what
precausions you need to be aware of.

If there was no liner in your chiminey that would have been a concern.

Pj

Posted to alt.home.repair

"joeblow" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am currently having a new furnace and a/c unit installed. When I
asked if they had the flue liner installed, which was part of the
quoted job, they said they could not get it in because the chiminey
made a sharp turn. He said that it would be ok because the ceramic
liner that is in place is fine. Any thoughts my situation?

What kind of furnace? You can't ask a question without giving any
information.

I put in a high efficiency furnace a couple years ago. Two quotes included
liners and two did not. The two that included them said my water heater
exhaust would corrod the flue; the two that did not said it was perfectly
safe.
I called the gas company and asked them. They said that since the chimney
went up through my house it was okay; if it had been on the side of the
house I would have needed a liner.
This might not anything to do with you!

1) Give us more information.
2) Check with your utility to see what is necessary in your area
3) Find out why the hell the company quoted you on a liner but didn't
install it. If a sharp turn gave them problems, they should have quoted
accordingly. Did they charge you less than the quoted price? Sounds foul
to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

joeblow wrote:
I am currently having a new furnace and a/c unit installed. When I
asked if they had the flue liner installed, which was part of the
quoted job, they said they could not get it in because the chiminey
made a sharp turn. He said that it would be ok because the ceramic
liner that is in place is fine. Any thoughts my situation?

I wonder why you arent buying a 90+ furnace. all those exhaust out a
PVC pipe.

a ceramic lined flue MAY be ok. the trouble is 80% furnaces exhaust a
cooler temp to the flue which can cause moisture troublkes in the
chimney.

hpows the overall condition of your chimney? if its detoriating or
needs pointing it might be cheaper to spend more on the furnace....
saves money forever.

how many new furnace quotes have you got? did all contractors think the
existing chimney was ok unlined?

what brand type of furnace are you considering? gas oil LP forced air,
boiler etc etc?

Posted to alt.home.repair

What extra did they quote that they were not going to notify you of your
reduction in cost. But as others said your story is incomplete.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a 80% gas trane forced air furnace installed. I do not plan on
keeping this property for long. I got four quotes all included a flue
liner.

A 90+ furnace would of been a sales advantage......... Esically with
energy costs today.