Old February 6th 06, 03:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat loss from furnace via flue ?

Hello, I have a typical gas furnace, 80% efficient, so it uses a
chimney. A 4" metal flue pipe comes out of the front/top of the
furnace, wraps around towards the back towards the wall behind which is
the chimney. Total of about 6 feet of 4" flue pipe, looks properly
installed. The 4" pipe goes into an 8" pipe which goes into the wall,
and the chimney is inside the wall right there.

My gas bills are horrendous I should add.

Tonight for some reason I felt the flue pipe while the furnace was
running and the thing is hot as blazes. Even at the end of the 6' run
of 4" pipe, you can't even keep your finger on the flue pipe for more
than a couple seconds cause it's so hot.

Is there some way to capture this heat ? If so, what do I look into ?
I must be heating half the country.

Thank you !

Old February 6th 06, 08:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair
Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

Tonight for some reason I felt the flue pipe while the furnace was
running and the thing is hot as blazes. Even at the end of the 6' run
of 4" pipe, you can't even keep your finger on the flue pipe for more
than a couple seconds cause it's so hot.

Is there some way to capture this heat ? If so, what do I look into ?
I must be heating half the country.

Thank you !

You can try a flue damper, to prevent cold air from backing down into your
gas furnace.

Grainger may have just what you're looking for:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...i=xi&ItemId=16
11758442&ccitem=

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com --Now with Hi-Fi Stereo Streaming Audio!
-

Old February 6th 06, 09:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair
buffalobill

general info for your furnaces:
http://www.misterfix-it.com/Solutions/5Air.html

Old February 6th 06, 01:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair
whodat

"My gas bills are horrendous I should add"

join the club

keyspan/lipa what ever the hell its called now, raised gas 40%, .thats
with a mild winter.

is this warm air heat you have?

you normally cannot hold on to a flue pipe from any heating appliance,
unless its one of thos 94% high efficiency warm air jobs.

theres nothing to retrofit a gas flue pipe with..
unless its a boiler that will accept an electric stack damper,
that doesnt save on running time, only off time as it prevents the
chimney from pulling on the hot boiler.

--
whodat
whodat's Profile: http://www.HomeOutfit.com/member.php?userid=35

Old February 6th 06, 01:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

They USED to sell something like what she or he wanted, but cooling the
flu gas caused mega troubles and some deaths.

about the best you can do is a automatic flue damper, it closes when
the furnace isnt running,

just think every furnace exhauts a heated air out the chimney 24/7

just think of that when you pay your gas bill

Old February 6th 06, 02:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

Some of those electrical heat sinks on the flue might warm up your
basement a little bit. Other than that, a more efficient furnace might
be the best bet. More insulation would help too.

Old February 6th 06, 02:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

I was afraid I might be stuck between a rock and a hard place. We have
one really good HVAC company in town, I'll see what they think. Also
may take some infrared pictures to see if there's more leaks I don't
know about. My furnace is only 8 years old and is 80%, so canning the
whole thing and going 96% is a money hit I was not prepared for.

I wonder if having half my vents shut (to redirect most of the heat to
one end of the house) could affect things.

If this warm winter was typical I'd be tempted toward heat pump, our
electrical rates are low here but at 40 deg N latitude, heat pump is a
tough one.

Old February 6th 06, 03:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

An aftermarket damper must have a lockout to the furnace incase it
doesnt open, There have been alot of cases where they failed leading to
Co issues. I think the cost will be excessive compared to a new unit
with a starting high efficiency, meaning payback is poor. You could be
reducing furnace efficiency and harm the furnace if closing vents
increases temp rise to much. A friend bough a house where the ac coil
was clogged shut, he removed it to clean it and his bills dropped in
half. You really need your system serviced to find out if it is running
optimaly and go through your options for an upgrade.

Old February 6th 06, 04:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected]

I had it serviced, it runs fine, that is, it's working exactly as
designed.

I would dearly love to bag our gas company and go heat pump and
electric hot water - is that a ludicrous idea in Columbus Ohio ? Maybe
I'm too emotional about my $400 gas bills.

Thank you !