Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Has legs must run

Following on from the fag lighter thread:

I was watching a programme about China and got told that hamsters run
the equivalent of 4 marathons each night to stock up in desert
conditions for the coming winters.

Which explains the incessant need to trundle along in the wheels pet
owners supply them with. So how much amperage would you get out of
such a series of wheels? Enough to power a small bank of batteries?

And then use the stored power to cook a midnight snack when the
incessant tumbrils get on your nerves? Hamsterjam sarnies anyone?

But seriously, would an hamster be able to generate electricity from a
bike dynamo or some such thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2011 15:15, Weatherlawyer wrote:
Following on from the fag lighter thread:

I was watching a programme about China and got told that hamsters run
the equivalent of 4 marathons each night to stock up in desert
conditions for the coming winters.

Which explains the incessant need to trundle along in the wheels pet
owners supply them with. So how much amperage would you get out of
such a series of wheels? Enough to power a small bank of batteries?

And then use the stored power to cook a midnight snack when the
incessant tumbrils get on your nerves? Hamsterjam sarnies anyone?

But seriously, would an hamster be able to generate electricity from a
bike dynamo or some such thing?

I have wondered the same thing. With rats and scrap food, enough of them
should spin a good sized feris wheel and also produce methane which also
could be used for power.

The back-to-the-future De-Lorean car powered from rubbish could work
with a family of rodents living, running, and reproducing inside the
'engine'. That would be endless power!.

'xcuse me while I call me fantasy patent lawyer.

Ah, it's done ...

http://www.otherpower.com/hamster.html

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 16:10:13 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

On 03/09/2011 15:15, Weatherlawyer wrote:

I have wondered the same thing. With rats and scrap food, enough of them
should spin a good sized feris wheel and also produce methane which also
could be used for power.

The back-to-the-future De-Lorean car powered from rubbish could work
with a family of rodents living, running, and reproducing inside the
'engine'. That would be endless power!.

'xcuse me while I call me fantasy patent lawyer.

Ah, it's done ...

http://www.otherpower.com/hamster.html

Well and truly baked...

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/The_2...wer#1188023084

and... Hell, go for the lot...

http://www.halfbakery.com/?searchexpression=hamster

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"polygonum" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 16:10:13 +0100, Adrian C wrote:

On 03/09/2011 15:15, Weatherlawyer wrote:

I have wondered the same thing. With rats and scrap food, enough of them
should spin a good sized feris wheel and also produce methane which also
could be used for power.

The back-to-the-future De-Lorean car powered from rubbish could work
with a family of rodents living, running, and reproducing inside the
'engine'. That would be endless power!.

'xcuse me while I call me fantasy patent lawyer.

Ah, it's done ...

http://www.otherpower.com/hamster.html

Well and truly baked...

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/The_2...wer#1188023084

and... Hell, go for the lot...

http://www.halfbakery.com/?searchexpression=hamster

--
Rod

I once read a page where some sad sod had repaired solar garden lights.
A quid each at a cheap shop.
Mind you, he was American and did the repair work in his "den".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/The_2...amster_20Power...

and... Hell, go for the lot...

http://www.halfbakery.com/?searchexpression=hamster

--
Rod

I once read a page where some sad sod had repaired solar garden lights.
A quid each at a cheap shop.
Mind you, he was American and did the repair work in his "den".- Hide quoted text -

We need those in our prisons, scaled up a bit. Put the *******s to
work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
Following on from the fag lighter thread:

I was watching a programme about China and got told that hamsters run
the equivalent of 4 marathons each night to stock up in desert
conditions for the coming winters.

Which explains the incessant need to trundle along in the wheels pet
owners supply them with. So how much amperage would you get out of
such a series of wheels? Enough to power a small bank of batteries?

And then use the stored power to cook a midnight snack when the
incessant tumbrils get on your nerves? Hamsterjam sarnies anyone?

But seriously, would an hamster be able to generate electricity from a
bike dynamo or some such thing?

Yes, but minuscule amounts. I'd say maybe 5W or so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2011 15:15, Weatherlawyer wrote:

But seriously, would an hamster be able to generate electricity from a
bike dynamo or some such thing?

Not really, but have often thought about it as a way of tiring out the
border collie....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But seriously, would an hamster be able to generate electricity from a
bike dynamo or some such thing?

I have wondered the same thing. With rats and scrap food, enough of them
should spin a good sized feris wheel and also produce methane which also
could be used for power.

wont work with rats i'm afraid, all the ones i've kept show no interest in
running in a wheel, and if you dangle some peanut butter infront of him,
he'll figure out a way to jam the wheel up and get the snack,

when i first got pet rats, i got them those hamster balls, they sell rat
sized ones, waste of money, the rats just sit there, try to get out for a
few seconds, realise they cant, curl up and go to sleep,

with hamsters tho, you might get a few watts out of them, people have done
it before, as well as hooking up bicycle computers to the wheel to record
speed and distance,
i used to put my hamster on the record player, at first i'd turn it on to
33rpm, and she'd trundle along keeping pace, 45rpm she had to try harder, 78
and she splatted against the wall... not really, didnt have 78 rpm on that
player,
then i had the bright idea to cut the power when she was running, with a
record on it and the arm on, and see if she could keep the record spinning
to play the song,
worked sort of, bit wobbely due to her feet transmitting power unevenly, but
it all got buggered up when a turd got jammed under the needle, and it got
scraped into the grooves of the record

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/09/2011 2:15 a.m., Weatherlawyer wrote:
Following on from the fag lighter thread:

I was watching a programme about China and got told that hamsters run
the equivalent of 4 marathons each night to stock up in desert
conditions for the coming winters.

Which explains the incessant need to trundle along in the wheels pet
owners supply them with. So how much amperage would you get out of
such a series of wheels? Enough to power a small bank of batteries?

And then use the stored power to cook a midnight snack when the
incessant tumbrils get on your nerves? Hamsterjam sarnies anyone?

But seriously, would an hamster be able to generate electricity from a
bike dynamo or some such thing?

Now you're talking! Forget jumbo jets and wind turbines, hamster power!
Virtually free!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/09/2011 9:00 a.m., Gazz wrote:

but it all got buggered up when a turd got jammed under the needle, and
it got scraped into the grooves of the record

I hate it when that happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 16:35:02 +0100
"Mr Pounder" wrote:

news
wrote:

On 03/09/2011 15:15, Weatherlawyer wrote:

I have wondered the same thing. With rats and scrap food, enough
of them should spin a good sized feris wheel and also produce
methane which also could be used for power.

The back-to-the-future De-Lorean car powered from rubbish could
work with a family of rodents living, running, and reproducing
inside the 'engine'. That would be endless power!.

'xcuse me while I call me fantasy patent lawyer.

Ah, it's done ...

http://www.otherpower.com/hamster.html

Well and truly baked...

http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/The_2...wer#1188023084

and... Hell, go for the lot...

http://www.halfbakery.com/?searchexpression=hamster

--
Rod

I once read a page where some sad sod had repaired solar garden
lights. A quid each at a cheap shop.

Not when they first came out, they weren't. Early ones' batteries would
die, it was easy to replace them and keep the lights working.

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:37:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Weatherlawyer wrote:

But seriously, would an hamster be able to generate electricity from a
bike dynamo or some such thing?

Yes, but minuscule amounts. I'd say maybe 5W or so.

So more than any FIT PV array then.

Mitre Saw on Last Legs?? [email protected] Woodworking 14 May 1st 09 05:32 PM
pen legs Troy Woodturning 5 October 6th 06 03:55 AM
LEGS Arra Movsesien Home Repair 0 July 27th 03 01:59 AM
Legs for breakfast bar Gnube UK diy 6 July 14th 03 09:37 AM