Gnube

Default Legs for breakfast bar

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 14:41:46 +0100, "Liz" wrote:

I'm building a breakfast bar - well it's basically a bit of worktop with
legs. But what do I use for legs/supports? I've looked in Focus and was
shown some horrible brass or chrome tubes which are sold as wardrobe rails,
though the salesman assured me they're multipurpose. Not sure they could
take the weight though. I was thinking of something nicer maybe in wood,
I've even looked at curtain poles - but again concerned about the weight of
the worktop.

What should I use and where should I get them from. I don't mind painting
or varnishing something, but don't want to have to start cutting and messing
about. I assumed I could buy legs off the shelf in a variety of styles.
I've done a google, looked at various websites but must be using the wrong
search terms.

Any ideas gratefully received

Thanks
Liz

They come in white too. Should get you started if nothing else!

Take Care,
Gnube
Glenn

"Liz" wrote in message
[...]

---

B&Q also do the same, bit more expensive though.

Glenn

BigWallop

"Liz" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Liz,

We used the chrome tube that is sold in B&Q as wardrobe rail, and put the
circular brackets, that usually hold it to sides of wardrobe, at the top and
bottom, one on the underside of the worktop and one on the floor. The
breakfast bar has been in now for almost two years and still looks great.

Mark

[...]

Ikea do or did table tops and seperate legs in a variety of finishes.

Mark S.

wanderer

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Liz" wrote in message
I'm building a breakfast bar - well it's basically a bit of worktop with
legs. But what do I use for legs/supports?

snip

We used the chrome tube that is sold in B&Q as wardrobe rail, and put the
circular brackets, that usually hold it to sides of wardrobe, at the top

and
bottom, one on the underside of the worktop and one on the floor. The
breakfast bar has been in now for almost two years and still looks great.

I'd second that. I used two pieces of chrome tube with circular brackets top
and bottom, when I rebuilt the kitchen at our last house. The worktop
projected about 3 ft beyond the adjoining cupboard, and I used a piece of
tube slightly set in from each of the two outer corners, if you see what I
mean. They were in place for about 10 or 11 years until we moved, and never
gave any problems at all. I used to hop up onto the worktop occassionaly to
get to the light fitting, as we had quite tall ceilings.

David Hearn

"Liz" wrote in message
[...]

We found Wickes did a specific Breakfast Bar leg. About 2" or so chrome leg
with a large bracket at the top to screw onto the surface. Had a twistable
bottom to adjust for height - however in our situation, we found the leg was
actually too long and took the adjuster out (which then meant it was too
short!). We only used it on a large span of a work surface - just in case
it bowed - but as it turned out - it never bowed and the leg happily sat
about 3mm off the ground...

Wasn't cheap though - about £20 or so.