Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mitre Saw on Last Legs??

My Craftsman mitre saw (10" Professional 113.234633C, ~15 years old)
seems to be showing its age. The biggest symptom is that the blade
brake doesn't work any more. It used to stop the blade very quickly
after releasing the trigger, but now the blade spins for 5(?) seconds
after I release the trigger.

It also seems to take a few seconds to come up to full speed, and I
remember that it spun up much faster when it was newer (didn't we
all?).

Other that these nits, it still cuts fine. I pulled the brushes, and
based on a quick visual, they seem ok - lots of "meat" left, not too
much evidence of arcing.

Are these signs that I should start shopping for a new saw? Is there
an adjustment/wear item involved in the blade brake that I should
check?

TIA,
Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

My opinion of Craftsman is reinforced by the fact that yet another of
their poor quality tools is failing prematurely. This time replace it
with a quality tool that will last the rest of your life.

My Makita LS1013 is about the same age as your saw. Mine performs as
well today as it did when I bought it. Unfortunately, like you, I had
to buy it when my 12" Dewalt didn't perform as it should have. My
son-in-law now has a Dewalt that is worth every penny he didn't pay
for it and he is happy and I'm happy because I don't have it.

G.S.

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 17:43:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

My Makita LS1013 is about the same age as your saw.

That is not a Saturday afternoon hobbyist tool at $540!!

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Apr 29, 11:17*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
My opinion of Craftsman is reinforced by the fact that yet another of
their poor quality tools is failing prematurely. *This time replace it
with a quality tool that will last the rest of your life.

snip

Well, it was a good idea at the time - on sale, available locally, and
I had just moved into a "fixer upper".

Based on what I read in the newsgroups, I probably would never buy
another Craftsman stationary tool, but I have to say that my
"cabinetmaker series" table saw and this mitre saw have served me
fairly well. On the other hand, I have a Delta drill press that's
been a POS since it was purchased.

Champagne taste, beer budget, I guess.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:18:15 GMT, Han wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
:

My Makita LS1013 is about the same age as your saw.

That is not a Saturday afternoon hobbyist tool at $540!!

Maybe not, but buy the time he buys a second saw he will have spent
about the same money -- or more.

G.S.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds like the commutator on the armature needs some work. You need a good
fit between the brushes and the commutator for the braking action to work
properly, and also for the motor to have good torque. You may need to get
the commutator turned and undercut to restore it to good health.

Doug
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gordon Shumway" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 11:18:15 GMT, Han wrote:

Gordon Shumway wrote in
m:

My Makita LS1013 is about the same age as your saw.

That is not a Saturday afternoon hobbyist tool at $540!!

Maybe not, but buy the time he buys a second saw he will have spent
about the same money -- or more.

Sounds like the one he has is still working fine. Why would he be buying a
second one?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have you looked at your manual to identify the braking mechanism and then
looked at the Sears spare parts website

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...modelN ame=10

to see if you can buy a part to repair the problem?

Dick Snyder

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...trieveModelDet...

to see if you can buy a part to repair the problem?

Dick Snyder

I can't find anything conveniently labeled "blade brake". I imagine
it works by turning the spinning motor into a generator and switching
the output to a resistance of some sort, but I don't see any
convenient labels for that either.

Guess I'll order a pair of brushes from Sears (~$10 ea).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
On Apr 30, 6:34 pm, "Dick Snyder" wrote:
Have you looked at your manual to identify the braking mechanism and
then looked at the Sears spare parts website

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...trieveModelDet...

to see if you can buy a part to repair the problem?

Dick Snyder

I can't find anything conveniently labeled "blade brake". I imagine
it works by turning the spinning motor into a generator and switching
the output to a resistance of some sort, but I don't see any
convenient labels for that either.

Guess I'll order a pair of brushes from Sears (~$10 ea).

Why pay retail + 50%?

Take the brushes to Graingers and say "Here's a dollar. Gimmie some like
this."

pen legs Troy Woodturning 5 October 6th 06 03:55 AM
Jet 1442 legs Andrew Barss Woodturning 3 November 16th 04 06:32 PM
LEGS Arra Movsesien Home Repair 0 July 27th 03 01:59 AM
Legs for breakfast bar Gnube UK diy 6 July 14th 03 09:37 AM