Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

Default Flying freehold

On Aug 31, 7:11*pm, Neil wrote:
Hi,

We are considering an offer on a house but there is a flying freehold
involved (we think). *It's seem to be the other way round to most of
what Google turns up in that our new property holds up a significant
chunk of the neightbour's.

Its was clearly once a big *house that has been extended and split.
For the front view, draw a horzontal rectangle and then draw a
triangle over the left hand two thirds to represent the roof. There is
a bedroom (next door's) in that triangle and a flat roof to the right,

Now draw a vertical line a bit less than half way from the left hand
side of the rectangle. *The right hand side of the rectangle would be
our house, holding up a significant section of the roof containing
next door's bedroom.

Or take a look athttp://www.braeman.co.uk/house.gifwhere the house
we are thinking about *is in the rectangle.

Do you think it would be mortgageable? *Anything to watch out for?

Cheers

It simply means you have a legal duty to provide support for the
neighbour's bit, so you cant demolish your room or let it become
structurally dangerous. I dont know about mortgage co policies on
this, I'd ask them informally.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

NT wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:11 pm, Neil wrote:
[...]

Try asking in uk.legal.moderated and I would definitely consult a legal
advisor before going any further. The problem isn't so much mechanical
as how well the agreements were drawn up in the first place. You would
need to see the original paperwork.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:11 pm, Neil wrote:
[...]

There's more to it than that since a fire in either property will affect
the other to a greater extent than in a semi. The same goes for water
leaks.

Houses with flying freeholds are notoriously difficult to sell.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheers

It simply means you have a legal duty to provide support for the
neighbour's bit, so you cant demolish your room or let it become
structurally dangerous. I dont know about mortgage co policies on
this, I'd ask them informally.

There's more to it than that since a fire in either property will affect
the other to a greater extent than in a semi. The same goes for water
leaks.

Houses with flying freeholds are notoriously difficult to sell.

Agree about fire and water(although same applies to flats), but not sure
I would agree with the last point. I bought one in the mid 80's, and the
solicitor and bank didn't bat an eye-lid. I did in fact buy it out
before I sold; I had the "room upstairs" and this involved buying part
of the room below. The other property had been bought up by a property
developer and they were converting to flats, it wasn't particularly
expensive and they built the new block wall. I got a bit of extra garden
too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance

On Sep 1, 10:11*am, John Williamson
wrote:
NT wrote:
On Aug 31, 7:11 pm, Neil wrote:
Hi,

We are considering an offer on a house but there is a flying freehold
involved (we think). *It's seem to be the other way round to most of
what Google turns up in that our new property holds up a significant
chunk of the neightbour's.

I was involved in buying such a house 20 years ago. At that time the
local (english) building societies and banks were not very happy and i
found tha tteh scottish banks were less fussy. Apparentl this kin dof
thing was much more common i nscotland where eve nflats were sold with
individual freeholds 'in the air'. I expect time shave changed now.

Fire insurance might also be an issue.

Robert

Best flying wasp insecticide notbob Home Repair 37 October 2nd 10 02:03 PM
Freehold/leasehold? Scabbydug UK diy 7 April 25th 08 08:21 AM
"right of first refusal" to purchase freehold for leaseholder Blue Home Ownership 2 December 7th 06 02:03 PM
Flying Saucer Toy Chris F. Electronics Repair 8 December 27th 05 06:25 PM
flying bacteria from a toilet.? veteran Home Ownership 7 December 18th 04 05:22 AM