Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.

Default Flying Saucer Toy

A customer brought this amusing little item to me on Christmas Eve. He
needed it fixed that day but it just wouldn't have been possible, so he took
it back to try and get a refund. I'm posting this message just to satisfy my
curiousity.....
The toy was a remote-controlled flying saucer. The saucer was a
lightweight styrofoam rig with the electronics crammed into a small space at
the top. Upon engaging the remote, a propeller would start (accompanied by
blue and red LED's) and the entire unit would spin rapidly and climb to the
ceiling. Altitude could be controlled by how much pressure was applied to
the remote control trigger.
At least that's what it did the night he got it home. He had to try it for
himself before wrapping it for his grandson, and after marveling at the
device he plugged in the charger and went to bed. When he tried it the next
morning, the device would run but didn't have enough power to lift off the
floor, even though the batteries should have been fully charged.
The battery pack was a very small NIMH type consisting of five cells. It
had the specs 6.3V, 150mAh printed on it. Pretty small considering the
load - I hooked up a decent 6.3V gel-cell and measured about 2.2 amps power
consumption! Not surprisingly, with a decent power supply attached, the unit
worked fine. When the original battery was used, it's voltage would drop to
about 5.7V under the load. I tried hooking the battery to a small lamp (6V,
500mA) and the voltage still dropped to 5.7 volts. The instructions say the
battery takes 20 minutes to charge - at this point I suspected the battery
had been overcharged and ruined, and since I couldn't possibly obtain such a
specialized part on the same day, the project was aborted.
My question is, how much load should such a small battery pack provide,
without a significant voltage drop and assuming it is not damaged? Do you
think my diagnosis was correct?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

Sounds like the charger may not have done it's thing. Or with that high load
reading, maybe it's just defective?

"Chris F." wrote in message
A customer brought this amusing little item to me on Christmas Eve. He
needed it fixed that day but it just wouldn't have been possible, so he

took
it back to try and get a refund. I'm posting this message just to satisfy

my
curiousity.....

snip
My question is, how much load should such a small battery pack provide,
without a significant voltage drop and assuming it is not damaged? Do you
think my diagnosis was correct?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Chris F. wrote:
[...]

Those use Li-Polymer batteries which can store an amazing amount of
power and can support huge discharge currents, often 10 *amps* or more
for short times from tiny cells. They make possible planes such as these
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shockflyer.htm which have thrust to weight
ratios of 2:1 or more. Another place you can get this stuff is here
http://www.balsapr.com/

The charger should normally only take a few minutes to fully charge and
they're very sensitive to being damaged by incorrect charging so if it
was left plugged into the (probably very cheap) charger overnight then
the battery was probably ruined.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich Webb

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 23:28:32 GMT, "Chris F."
wrote:

[...]

Got one of those (fscking impulse buying ... grrr). Anyway, I only
fiddled with it the afternoon that I brought it home and I did see
pretty much what you described: Left it on the charger too long that
evening and got almost no run time. However, after letting it "soak" off
of the charger it seemed to recover most of its previous operating time.

I should fool with it more but it's not so much that it scares the cats
but that it blows out all of the accumulated cat hair from the nooks
where it had been quietly minding its own business ... Hair storm!

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Isaac Wingfield

In article ,
"Chris F." wrote:

[...]

The instruction sheet explicitly states to NOT leave the thing on the
charger, but to watch the little lights, and unplug it as soon as it's
charged.

It's pretty clear that the charger doesn't have any way to detect full
charge and throttle the current. Maybe he toasted the batteries.

Isaac

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Deke

"Chris F." wrote in message
[...]

Pretty cool toy. My dogs hate mine.
Did you make sure the tiny little switch on top was in the
OFF position? Wont charge if its in the ON position.

Deke

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.

Oddly enough, it came with a 12-volt charger. I noticed that a large
transistor (about half the size of a TO-220, used as a regulator perhaps)
became blistering hot during the charge process, I wasn't sure if it was a
defect or just poor design....

"James Sweet" wrote in message
Chris F. wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Chris F.

BTW the battery clearly specified "NiMH". The instructions also said to
discharge it completely before charging; correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't
NiMH batteries immune to the memory effect?

Chris F. wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave D

"Chris F." wrote in message
BTW the battery clearly specified "NiMH". The instructions also said to
discharge it completely before charging; correct me if I'm wrong, but
aren't
NiMH batteries immune to the memory effect?

In theory, yes. However, these batteries are run so hard in this
application, ie brutal charge/discharge rates, that there is no margin of
error where overcharging is concerned. The easiest way to avoid overcharging
is to completely discharge the battery and charge for the prescribed time.

Whatever happens, expect a very short battery lifespan!

Dave