Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The small gate is just four steps to your right!

Please use the small gate to your right

These large gates are for vehicle access only!

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 20:00:22 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Please use the small gate to your right

These large gates are for vehicle access only!

How interesting.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Please use the small gate to your right
These large gates are for vehicle access only!

Err, OK.

Still, your missives do seem to be reaching plusnet's server now!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns pretended :
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Please use the small gate to your right
These large gates are for vehicle access only!

Err, OK.

Still, your missives do seem to be reaching plusnet's server now!

Bloody annoyed, so I thought the world ought to know why.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield laid this down on his screen :
Please use the small gate to your right

These large gates are for vehicle access only!

A 12 foot wide drive gate, 'locked' with cheap spring link D, with an
adjoining small garden gate just four steps away - yet I have now lost
count of the number of numpties who spend an age trying to force a way
through the big double gates, often damaging the lock in the process.

Fed up of knocking on the window (when there is someone in) - pointing
at the small gate and fixing the damage. Why can't they see a second
gate just six feet away from where they are battling, which is a
matching three foot by four foot?

I have now resorted to an A4 printed sign covering the 'lock', which
has to be moved to access the 'lock'.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One house on my old leafletting round has a waist-high gate
that would be at random intervals bolted about six inches from
the ground on the inside. Every now and then I'd trip over the
damn thing as I lifted the normal latch and advanced.

....and then the b***y idiots who hung their gate so it swings
out over the pavement...

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston presented the following explanation :
One house on my old leafletting round has a waist-high gate
that would be at random intervals bolted about six inches from
the ground on the inside. Every now and then I'd trip over the
damn thing as I lifted the normal latch and advanced.

...and then the b***y idiots who hung their gate so it swings
out over the pavement...

JGH

Opening out into the road would have been so much easier, but dangerous
for pedestrians and vehicles - so I went to a lot of trouble to show
the gate guys how to offset the hinges to make them very neatly rise to
clear the drive. Our drive slopes up from the the road. They didn't
have any clues how to do it, or how to work out the offset - made a
great job of the gates though (?).

That was around four years ago, within weeks of the gates being
installed, we had a numpty collecting my car for service - try to force
the gates to open out into the road, breaking the offset rising hinges
system. The drive slopes up from the road, so the gate end (where they
meet) has to rise as it opens in.

They buggered off leaving the broken gate across the pavement and
partially out in the road.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 20:21, jgharston wrote:
One house on my old leafletting round has a waist-high gate
that would be at random intervals bolted about six inches from
the ground on the inside. Every now and then I'd trip over the
damn thing as I lifted the normal latch and advanced.

...and then the b***y idiots who hung their gate so it swings
out over the pavement...

JGH

We have no gates. If we fitted some, we'd have to either have them open
both ways (as my parents have) or concoct a fiendishly complicated
folding system, as there'd be no room to open and close them when a car
was on the drive - as there is 5 days and 7 nights a week. A sliding
gate would be easier, but that would go through a tree and across where
the footpath gate would have to go.

It's something I might look at at some point, but designing a pair of
gates that fold into three sections each and with enough strength, but
little enough load, that I could automate them is not my forte. They'd
have to be automated, as parking outside is not always easy due to a
school in the next road and I don't want to have to park up the road,
run back in the pouring rain (Manchester) to open them, before rushing
back to the car to come back and park it!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
That was around four years ago, within weeks of the gates being
installed, we had a numpty collecting my car for service - try to force
the gates to open out into the road, breaking the offset rising hinges
system.

You'd think that with the established paradigm for the last 7,000
years
being that doors/gates/etc open *into* the place you're entering that
it would have sunk in slightly.

Though I did watch in disbelief some years ago as a houseguest
tried to yank my bathroom door off while asking "how do I get in?"
while I was saying "turn the handle and open the door".

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:06:11 -0700, jgharston wrote:

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
That was around four years ago, within weeks of the gates being
installed, we had a numpty collecting my car for service - try to force
the gates to open out into the road, breaking the offset rising hinges
system.

You'd think that with the established paradigm for the last 7,000 years
being that doors/gates/etc open *into* the place you're entering that it
would have sunk in slightly.

Hmm... I built the gate on my dog kennel to open outwards, as otherwise
if I wanted to get in there in winter I'd have to first jump the fence to
shovel snow out of the way.

cheers

Jules

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jules Richardson wrote:
Hmm... I built the gate on my dog kennel to open outwards, as otherwise
if I wanted to get in there in winter I'd have to first jump the fence to
shovel snow out of the way.

Not sure I understand your description. Surely if the kennel gate
opens outwards when there's snow piled up you can't open it
precisely because the snow is stopping it open (outwards).

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Jules Richardson wrote:
Hmm... I built the gate on my dog kennel to open outwards, as otherwise
if I wanted to get in there in winter I'd have to first jump the fence to
shovel snow out of the way.

Not sure I understand your description. Surely if the kennel gate
opens outwards when there's snow piled up you can't open it
precisely because the snow is stopping it open (outwards).

I read the post as the OP being able to dig the snow away from outside
the gate as it is without jumping over it first. Snow he can reach
easily as against snow he can't.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 10:06*pm, jgharston wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
That was around four years ago, within weeks of the gates being
installed, we had a numpty collecting my car for service - try to force
the gates to open out into the road, breaking the offset rising hinges
system.

You'd think that with the established paradigm for the last 7,000
years
being that doors/gates/etc open *into* the place you're entering that
it would have sunk in slightly.

And indoors they are hung such that such that occupants of the room
can see the door opening before the opener gets a view into the room.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
That was around four years ago, within weeks of the gates being
installed, we had a numpty collecting my car for service - try to force
the gates to open out into the road, breaking the offset rising hinges
system.

You'd think that with the established paradigm for the last 7,000
years
being that doors/gates/etc open *into* the place you're entering that
it would have sunk in slightly.

And indoors they are hung such that such that occupants of the room
can see the door opening before the opener gets a view into the room.

Neither being true though.

Gates frequently open out as there isn't enough space to close them again
once the cars are on the drive.
You may notice that garage doors don't open in for exactly that reason.

Doors in houses open into the rooms and in all the recent ones I have seen
they open against the wall to maximise space.
There is none of this privacy idea where all you can see is the wall.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/5/2011 4:16 AM, RobertL wrote:

And indoors they are hung such that such that occupants of the room
can see the door opening before the opener gets a view into the room.

I've lived in a few places where the doors are hung opposite to that -
the visitor can immediately see into the room. They were not recently
built, though, dating from the late 1800s to the early 1900s.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis wrote:
Gates frequently open out as there isn't enough space to close them again
once the cars are on the drive.

A badly designed driveway isn't an excuse to cause trip and collision
hazards for users of the gateway.

You may notice that garage doors don't open in for exactly that reason.

A garage is a container, somewhat like a cardboard box, so of course
the lid opens outwards, as does the trapdoor to the coalshed, cupboard
doors, meter cupboard doors, inspection lids, the gateway to a cat-
carrier, etc.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 11:57:57 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

Doors in houses open into the rooms and in all the recent ones I have seen
they open against the wall to maximise space.
There is none of this privacy idea where all you can see is the wall.

In modern rabbit hutches that might be the case where every square
inch of space is at a premium, but in normal housing the door
always/should open into the room so that modesty/warning is preserved.
After all, you really need the split second to get your hand out of
the owner's wife's skirt.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2011 16:23, jgharston wrote:
dennis wrote:
Gates frequently open out as there isn't enough space to close them again
once the cars are on the drive.

A badly designed driveway isn't an excuse to cause trip and collision
hazards for users of the gateway.

For most people in houses built in the thirties, the length of the
driveway is limited to the distance bewtween the public footpath and the
front of their house. It's not bad design, it's simply a consequence of
the designers of the time not knowing the needs of 70-odd years later.

I can get my kitcar down the side of the house (with a few inches each
side), but a normal family car will not go past the corner of the house.
Hence we have no gates at the moment. But the need may arise (young
kids, animals, etc.)

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

For most people in houses built in the thirties, the length of the
driveway is limited to the distance bewtween the public footpath and the
front of their house. It's not bad design, it's simply a consequence of
the designers of the time not knowing the needs of 70-odd years later.

I can get my kitcar down the side of the house (with a few inches each
side), but a normal family car will not go past the corner of the house.
Hence we have no gates at the moment. But the need may arise (young
kids, animals, etc.)

Don't forget that, unlike any gates installed at the time the
houses were built, it seems that you are now required to have
them far enough from the kerb to permit a car to pull up to them
and be clear of the carriageway.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

For most people in houses built in the thirties, the length of the
driveway is limited to the distance bewtween the public footpath and the
front of their house. It's not bad design, it's simply a consequence of
the designers of the time not knowing the needs of 70-odd years later.

I can get my kitcar down the side of the house (with a few inches each
side), but a normal family car will not go past the corner of the house.
Hence we have no gates at the moment. But the need may arise (young
kids, animals, etc.)

Don't forget that, unlike any gates installed at the time the
houses were built, it seems that you are now required to have
them far enough from the kerb to permit a car to pull up to them
and be clear of the carriageway.

That was certainly the case here in 1964, so it's not that a new
requirement.

Chris

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Small sliding gate - plans, ideas, readymade? bryan[_2_] Home Repair 11 May 17th 09 04:04 PM
help on building a small pole barn / small animal shelter coloradotrout Home Repair 9 January 20th 09 09:53 PM
Reasonable Price for set of 3 steps, was : Replace Dangerous Side Steps. mm Home Repair 2 March 27th 07 04:57 PM
steps cj Home Repair 4 May 10th 06 03:03 PM
Outside steps HandyMart UK diy 4 April 13th 06 08:16 PM