Posted to uk.d-i-y
HandyMart

Default Outside steps

I'm going to build some outside steps alongside and touching an external
painted rendered wall to reach a raised garden area at the rear of the
property. Can someone recommend a "liquid" damp proofing that will be
suitable to treat the outside wall without affecting the newish paint
too much?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

HandyMart wrote:
I'm going to build some outside steps alongside and touching an external
painted rendered wall to reach a raised garden area at the rear of the
property. Can someone recommend a "liquid" damp proofing that will be
suitable to treat the outside wall without affecting the newish paint
too much?

It sounds as though you'd be best off running a stepped flashing 6"
above the level of the steps, finishing under the steps (brick, stone,
W.H.Y.) to do a better job. The only "liquid" damp proofing that would
be useful is bitumen emulsion, which won't fit in too well with being
"on show" there. Don't forget to put a suitable fall on the steps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
HandyMart

Chris Bacon wrote:

HandyMart wrote:

I'm going to build some outside steps alongside and touching an
external painted rendered wall to reach a raised garden area at the
rear of the property. Can someone recommend a "liquid" damp proofing
that will be suitable to treat the outside wall without affecting the
newish paint too much?

It sounds as though you'd be best off running a stepped flashing 6"
above the level of the steps, finishing under the steps (brick, stone,
W.H.Y.) to do a better job. The only "liquid" damp proofing that would
be useful is bitumen emulsion, which won't fit in too well with being
"on show" there. Don't forget to put a suitable fall on the steps.

Yes, I was hoping to avoid the black bitumen appearance. Being an old
property and rendered. I can't see the state, location or type of the
DPC and what has been done to prevent damp ingress as the ground rises
to the rear. Although I can see blue plastic membrane just between
render and ground level. I don't want to chase into the render for
flashing in case anything gets punctured. The inside is perfectly dry. I
was hoping for something transparent and externally applied. Silicone
based perhaps?

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

HandyMart wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
HandyMart wrote:
[...]

The render should certainly not bridge the DPC.

Although I can see blue plastic membrane just between
render and ground level.

??? That sounds pretty "interesting". Can you upload pictures
somewhere?

I don't want to chase into the render for
flashing in case anything gets punctured. The inside is perfectly dry. I
was hoping for something transparent and externally applied. Silicone
based perhaps?

It doesn't last.