Posted to alt.home.repair
cj

Default steps

greetings, i am planning on dropping my outdoor deck to ground level
which means i will have to add a step or two from my patio door. is
there a national standard or formula that will tell me how many steps i
will need, and step width? example, if the patio door is 30 inches above
the deck how many steps and how far out should i go?
thanks, cj

Posted to alt.home.repair
RayV

Osha says:
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...ARDS&p_id=9716

I'm pretty sure just about any combination that a rise+tread+rise=25"
will be ok.

try this:
http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...rs/outdoor.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

International Residential Code speaks to: max riser, min tread, min
width, requirement for landing outside door, requirement for guards.
TB

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"cj" wrote in message ...
greetings, i am planning on dropping my outdoor deck to ground level which
means i will have to add a step or two from my patio door. is there a
national standard or formula that will tell me how many steps i will need,
and step width? example, if the patio door is 30 inches above the deck how
many steps and how far out should i go?
thanks, cj

Building codes will tell you not only do you need a step, but you;ll need a
landing at the top.

Since you are going to ground level, consider taking it out and putting in a
concrete of stone patio instead. No maintenance. Solid.