Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default VGA cable

If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote on 31/08/2011 :
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable. I think 3m is the
maximum. I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

VGA to RF, might be better for a distance run, or 1v p to p BNC, or
SCART.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
ARWadsworth wrote on 31/08/2011 :
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have
to be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable. I think 3m is the
maximum. I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

VGA to RF, might be better for a distance run, or 1v p to p BNC, or SCART.

You can put VGA over cat5 up to about 120m.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable. I think 3m is the
maximum. I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

I've used 20-30m runs happily. VGA (using decent (separately screened
RGB lines) cable) is less prone to noise than composite over such distances.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 18:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote on 31/08/2011 :
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will
have to be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable.

True

I think 3m is the
maximum.

Not true

I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

Probably not true ;-)

VGA to RF, might be better for a distance run, or 1v p to p BNC, or SCART.

(CCTV I would have expected to be more like TV resolution and scan rates
than VGA however[1]. You may find that the CCTV box has a upscaled VGA
compatible connector for local viewing on a cheap PC monitor though).

Long VGA leads are doable - up to 30m is ok *but* you must use decent
cable. The cable needs to be one that uses proper co-ax for the main
video signals, otherwise the thing will ring to buggery (and any sharp
edge on screen will come out with echos/fringes before and after it).
You can go longer than 30m but it starts to get hard to do at a decent
resolution.

If you want long runs easily, then you need a pair of VGA baluns to
convert to CAT5e - you can then go a few hundred feet before coming
back to VGA.

[1] If this is normal TV, then taking composite video into a modulator,
and then running a length of ordinary TV co-ax will probably be cheapest
and easiest if there is something with a TV tuner at the end.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 18:56, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote on 31/08/2011 :
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will
have to be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable. I think 3m is the
maximum. I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

VGA to RF, might be better for a distance run, or 1v p to p BNC, or SCART.

I've used 10 metre VGA extension cable without any issues. Maplin sell
20m cables too:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/vga-monitor-...-to-male-97367

Obviously audio would need separate cabling
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

How much is a VGA balun?

[1] If this is normal TV, then taking composite video into a
modulator, and then running a length of ordinary TV co-ax will
probably be cheapest and easiest if there is something with a TV
tuner at the end.

That is what I ran last month as the idea was to watch the CCTV on a TV.
Modulators are cheap.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote:

You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable.

You can put VGA over cat5 up to about 120m.

Mr Bloomfield's reply seems not to have arrived here, but I've seen a
50m VGA cable used with a projector, and amazingly little disruption to
the signal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 19:29, ARWadsworth wrote:

If you want long runs easily, then you need a pair of VGA baluns to
convert to CAT5e - you can then go a few hundred feet before coming
back to VGA.

How much is a VGA balun?

You need a pair to be any use. ebay will probably do you a pair with
audio capability at £80 ish.

[1] If this is normal TV, then taking composite video into a
modulator, and then running a length of ordinary TV co-ax will
probably be cheapest and easiest if there is something with a TV
tuner at the end.

That is what I ran last month as the idea was to watch the CCTV on a TV.
Modulators are cheap.

Yup, £20 will get you something reasonable. You can use cheap UHF TV
amps etc to get better range if required. Doing that in the VGA space is
far more expensive.

Another option for distance viewing is digitising and then using a
network to stream it to a remote PC. I have a job coming up shortly
where I will need to do this, where a video link will need to cross a
public road, so lobbing a lead across is not ideal!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 19:19, Steve wrote:
[...]

There was a time that VGA cables of a reasonable quality were
frightening prices. It looks rather like Maplin have not noticed that
time has passed!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10M-MALE-M...item336426023a

(and the ebay one is a better quality lead by the looks of it!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote on 31/08/2011 :

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
ARWadsworth wrote on 31/08/2011 :
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have
to be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable. I think 3m is the
maximum. I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

VGA to RF, might be better for a distance run, or 1v p to p BNC, or SCART.

You can put VGA over cat5 up to about 120m.

With a pair of baluns !

OK, OK - my knowledge seems to out of date on this one. In early days
of VGA, it was impossible to get long leads or extensions, because the
suggestion was that it degraded so quickly.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I wouldn't use baluns.

OK, OK - my knowledge seems to out of date on this one. In early days of
VGA, it was impossible to get long leads or extensions, because the
suggestion was that it degraded so quickly.

It really depends on what resolution you want, plain VGA (640x480) is quite
easy to put down 20-30m cables.
Higher resolutions don't like it much.

If you go into a data centre you will find lots of VGA outputs are connected
to kvm switches using cat5, along with the mice and keyboards. there aren't
enough pairs in cat5 to just use baluns and only one cable. Some even use IP
and network switches.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

VGA is not designed to cover long distances an IME it doesn't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
ARWadsworth wrote on 31/08/2011 :
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will
have to be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable. I think 3m is
the maximum. I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable),
one signal the other ground return.

VGA to RF, might be better for a distance run, or 1v p to p BNC, or
SCART.

You can put VGA over cat5 up to about 120m.

But not as VGA though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
[...]

That is probably est of all if the time delay is acceptable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/11 18:34, ARWadsworth wrote:
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

I'd install cat5 and use a cat5 VGA extender.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

VGA is not designed to cover long distances an IME it doesn't.

The longest off the shelf VGA lead I can find is this one

http://www.lindy-international.com/7...old/37739.html

searches for longer lengths just find drums of cable for making your own
VGA leads.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 31, 6:34*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

Cat5, probably a few of them

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

You can run VGA over longer cables than the spec says, if you're
lucky. This depends on the resolution you're using (VGA is 640x480,
and you're probably runnign a lot more than this) and on the behaviour
of the monitor you're driving. LCD tends to work better without
degradation than CRT, until it gets to a point when it suddenly stops
altogether. There are also tricks for playing with the termination
capacitors in the cable connectors.

Really though, this is a mug's game. Baluns are available to run VGA
(and higher) over Cat5. They just work. Try CPC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

VGA is not designed to cover long distances an IME it doesn't.

The longest off the shelf VGA lead I can find is this one

http://www.lindy-international.com/7...cable-premium-
gold/37739.html

searches for longer lengths just find drums of cable for making your own
VGA leads.

I think the image quality at 75m would be disappointing over any cable.

From experience, 30-50m is a sensible limit for the basic VGA interface,
beyond that the separate syncs loose integrity and you need to use HF
precompensation to keep the video edges but I've had success running to
150m by converting the interface to RGB sync on green and using HF
precompensation.

As already suggested, for a CCTV signal either modulators or baluns over
cat5e sound the most sensible and cost effective option. I'm having my
doubts about VGA over the 15m or so I have here, and I actually have the
cable on the shelf.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 19:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Well it does on a basic lead - and to be fair, some time ago that is all
you could find easily - even a short one or two metre extension could
cause a big signal mess. The higher the resolution and refresh rate, the
worse it got.

With decent lead that uses mini co-ax for the actual video signals, the
situation is much better. Even fairly high rates and resolutions can be
carried a reasonable distance without too much degradation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry
Bloomfield scribeth thus
[...]

You should find CAT 5 with BALUNS thereon is OK for around 100 feet and
more .. just that the High frequency definition rolls off with distance
as does the contrast on the pic but that can be compensated for...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another option for distance viewing is digitising and then using a
network to stream it to a remote PC. I have a job coming up shortly
where I will need to do this, where a video link will need to cross a
public road, so lobbing a lead across is not ideal!

Convert to IP then use point to point 5.8 Ghz radio...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 21:25, tony sayer wrote:
Another option for distance viewing is digitising and then using a
network to stream it to a remote PC. I have a job coming up shortly
where I will need to do this, where a video link will need to cross a
public road, so lobbing a lead across is not ideal!

Convert to IP then use point to point 5.8 Ghz radio...

Near enough what I am doing... digitising real time, and streaming the
result from the digitising machine. I might be able to do the wireless
section of the jump in one hit to the playback machine, if not, I have a
second router standing by in client mode to get back to cat5 on the
other side of the road.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Dingley :
On Aug 31, 6:34*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

Cat5, probably a few of them

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

You can run VGA over longer cables than the spec says, if you're
lucky. This depends on the resolution you're using (VGA is 640x480,
and you're probably runnign a lot more than this) and on the behaviour
of the monitor you're driving. LCD tends to work better without
degradation than CRT, until it gets to a point when it suddenly stops
altogether. There are also tricks for playing with the termination
capacitors in the cable connectors.

Really though, this is a mug's game. Baluns are available to run VGA
(and higher) over Cat5. They just work. Try CPC.

I've been using them for years and IME they don't "just work". They work
for a while but every so often the receiver loses the signal and blanks
out. The signal comes back a seconds or two later but it's still
annoying. This happens on two different cable runs, and I've used a
variety of PCs at the transmitter end, a variety of monitors at the
receiver end, and a variety of active and passive adapters, and the
problem's still there. It's most annoying.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message ...
On 31/08/2011 19:29, ARWadsworth wrote:

If you want long runs easily, then you need a pair of VGA baluns to
convert to CAT5e - you can then go a few hundred feet before coming
back to VGA.

How much is a VGA balun?

You need a pair to be any use. ebay will probably do you a pair with audio capability at £80 ish.

Perhaps the unit at the source end should be called an unbal?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Andy
Burns escribió:

Mr Bloomfield's reply seems not to have arrived here, but I've seen a
50m VGA cable used with a projector, and amazingly little disruption to
the signal.

I've used 30m, and the picture was acceptable, if not wonderful. A lot
will depend on the quality of the cable.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Harry
Bloomfield escribió:

I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

No, three individually screened micro-coax for RGB and signal wires. In
good quality cables anyway.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , ARWadsworth adamwadsworth@
blueyonder.co.uk escribió:

If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

I wouldn't. VGA connectors are a nightmare to solder neatly. If you
possibly can, get the cable pre-made to the right length. There are
several firms that make cables to order - I can recommend one (would
need to look it up at work) - if interested, let me know.

Or install Cat5 and use these:

http://www.adder.com/uk/single-screen-kvm-extender.aspx

The AdderLink X100 and X200 also carry sound, which you asked for.

I use the AdderLink XL at a remote site with a ~40m run and it works
fine. Be warned that although the link connection uses Cat5 and RJ45
connectors, the protocol is *not* ethernet and it must not be connected
to network devices.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 18:34, ARWadsworth wrote:
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

I run VGA, 1024x768 IIRC maybe more for about 10m through Cat5E with no
baluns and no sign of degradation for a text based display. It should be
fine for CCTV I would think.

I can't remember the exact site with the info but it may have been
http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-VGA-cord-of-CAT5-cable/
or http://myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been using them for years and IME they don't "just work". They work
for a while but every so often the receiver loses the signal and blanks
out. The signal comes back a seconds or two later but it's still
annoying. This happens on two different cable runs, and I've used a
variety of PCs at the transmitter end, a variety of monitors at the
receiver end, and a variety of active and passive adapters, and the
problem's still there. It's most annoying.

OK so you have a BALUN at end A then "x" metres of CAT 5 cable then a
BALUN and end B and this looses signal or drops out every so often?...

And nothing else in circuit anywhere?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer :
I've been using them for years and IME they don't "just work". They work
for a while but every so often the receiver loses the signal and blanks
out. The signal comes back a seconds or two later but it's still
annoying. This happens on two different cable runs, and I've used a
variety of PCs at the transmitter end, a variety of monitors at the
receiver end, and a variety of active and passive adapters, and the
problem's still there. It's most annoying.

OK so you have a BALUN at end A then "x" metres of CAT 5 cable then a
BALUN and end B and this looses signal or drops out every so often?...

And nothing else in circuit anywhere?..

Nope.

I'm as baffled as you seem to be.

BTW "x" is about 15 in each case.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable. I think 3m is the
maximum. I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

I've got a long VGA cable feeding a monitor on the other side of this
room. Came from Ebay - and wasn't pricey. 5 metres, IIRC. Appears to work
just fine.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
Mr Bloomfield's reply seems not to have arrived here, but I've seen a
50m VGA cable used with a projector, and amazingly little disruption to
the signal.

I've used 30m, and the picture was acceptable, if not wonderful. A lot
will depend on the quality of the cable.

Of course. In a pro situation, composite video was sent over far greater
distances than any likely to be encountered here. But using the correct
cable. Certainly not a co-ax with a diameter of a couple of mm.

--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
You cannot just use an unlimited length of VGA cable. I think 3m is the
maximum. I think they are wire in twisted pairs (like LAN cable), one
signal the other ground return.

I've got a long VGA cable feeding a monitor on the other side of this
room. Came from Ebay - and wasn't pricey. 5 metres, IIRC. Appears to work
just fine.

I've used 20m on a regular basis.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike Barnes
scribeth thus
tony sayer :
I've been using them for years and IME they don't "just work". They work
for a while but every so often the receiver loses the signal and blanks
out. The signal comes back a seconds or two later but it's still
annoying. This happens on two different cable runs, and I've used a
variety of PCs at the transmitter end, a variety of monitors at the
receiver end, and a variety of active and passive adapters, and the
problem's still there. It's most annoying.

OK so you have a BALUN at end A then "x" metres of CAT 5 cable then a
BALUN and end B and this looses signal or drops out every so often?...

And nothing else in circuit anywhere?..

Nope.

I'm as baffled as you seem to be.

BTW "x" is about 15 in each case.

Shouldn't really be a problem. None of the associated equipment is
intermittently faulty at all?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mike Barnes
scribeth thus
tony sayer :
I've been using them for years and IME they don't "just work". They work
for a while but every so often the receiver loses the signal and blanks
out. The signal comes back a seconds or two later but it's still
annoying. This happens on two different cable runs, and I've used a
variety of PCs at the transmitter end, a variety of monitors at the
receiver end, and a variety of active and passive adapters, and the
problem's still there. It's most annoying.

OK so you have a BALUN at end A then "x" metres of CAT 5 cable then a
BALUN and end B and this looses signal or drops out every so often?...

And nothing else in circuit anywhere?..

Nope.

I'm as baffled as you seem to be.

BTW "x" is about 15 in each case.

Shouldn't really be a problem. None of the associated equipment is
intermittently faulty at all?..

interference mate. CAT5 is not desiged for low level analogue signals at
high frequencies.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 2, 9:51*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

interference mate. CAT5 is not desiged for low level analogue signals at
high frequencies.

Then WTF do you _think_ it's designed for?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

blueyonder.co.uk escribió:

If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

I wouldn't. VGA connectors are a nightmare to solder neatly. If you
possibly can, get the cable pre-made to the right length. There are
several firms that make cables to order - I can recommend one (would
need to look it up at work) - if interested, let me know.

Or install Cat5 and use these:

http://www.adder.com/uk/single-screen-kvm-extender.aspx

The AdderLink X100 and X200 also carry sound, which you asked for.

I use the AdderLink XL at a remote site with a ~40m run and it works
fine. Be warned that although the link connection uses Cat5 and RJ45
connectors, the protocol is *not* ethernet and it must not be connected
to network devices.

I know of an installation that uses these, a server and 5 workstations all housed
in the server room and effectively dumb terminals using adderlinks. The stated reason was lack
of room at the workstations but that wasn't really true. There was a separate patch panel.

Stupid idea really, no advantages for the user, and it makes the site difficult to support.

The video quality on the monitors is very good and the only thing that gives it away is a lateral
shift to the right of the lo-res windows logo while the machines are booting up.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/08/2011 18:34, ARWadsworth wrote:
If you were to install just the cable (not the connectors which will have to
be soldered on later) what cable would you install?

The idea is to get a CCTV image from the DVR to a distant monitor.

There may also be an audio signal to transmit as well.

Any help welcome

Cheers

CPC does kit for this, good for 300m 1920x1200 resolution using
dedicated straight Cat5e/6 cable.

Contains powered line drivers, not Baluns.

PRO SIGNAL - PSG03502 - VGA + AUDIO OVER CAT5 KIT
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...?SKU=AV1998006
£43.56 + vat etc....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Mike Barnes
scribeth thus
tony sayer :
[...]

Ummm .. beg pardon but we've used this technique over hundreds of feet
for Vision bandwidth signals and one of the good things is its balanced
operation with common mode rejection which makes good for interference
rejection.

And that in some every Electro-magnetically noisy areas....

I'm sure there is something else going on here somewhere but remote
diagnosis is rather difficult sometimes...
--
Tony Sayer