Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default where to source cheap used desktop PCs?

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
Hmmm....
15" TFT... 50W

Old PC.... 65W = 0.115kW @ 10hrs / day @ 12p = £50.37
15" CRT... 65W

Old PC... 65W = 0.130kW @ 10hrs / day @ 12p = £56.94
Thinkpad X60 T1300 = 0.012W @ 10hrs / day @ 12p = £5.26
Of course if the machine is only used 2hrs a day the comparison

becomes void - just something to consider with cheap machines and
cheap CRT (particularly larger CRT which can get quite power hungry).

Indeed. Faced with the demise of my server I bit the bullet and went for
an Intel ATOM based machine and a pair of 500gig drives..

At a shade over £200 it will pay for itself in 4 years on reduced electricity costs alone..

So my advice is to buy a new case, disks RAM and motherboard, and use
whatever keyboards and screens you can find.

I also found that for legacy windows Apps, a virtual machine on a faster
modern computer is a better performing brute than a native but old power guzzling machine.

And it keeps the clutter off the desktop.

I've ended up with one of the HP micro servers, I reckon it'll pay for
itself within a couple of years compared to the server it's replaced.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

On 21/08/2011 20:15, Simon Finnigan wrote:
The Natural wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
[...]

depends on how much you paid for it; and whether you're on a diesel
powered genny

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
[...]

About £125 in total for the hardware delivered, it runs on about 40-50 w
with hard drives and CPU flat out. The processor on the server it replaced
could burn through 80 W on it's own, never mind the rest of the hardware.
It's on 24/7, saving about 50W I reckon. 50x24=1200W per day = 438,000 w
per year. 438 KWh at 12p each is roughly £50 a year saving on electricity.

Plus they're newer, smaller, much quieter etc, so all in all a good deal
:-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
[...]

Has anyone tried one of these? Consume 6-8W when running and less than a
Watt on standby. I keep trying to find an application for one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural wrote:
js.b1 wrote:
[...]

The micro server? It's up to transcoding HD video for my xbox anyway :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

The Natural wrote:

[...]

I have a HP Microserver with 4x2TB HD (and the original 250GB drive
reinstalled to the CD slot) and the max 8GB RAM. It was intended as a
file server and to to process some large datasets in no great hurry.
Then I decided to put a Radeon half-height 5450 video card in it. So it
is now doing double duty as my main desktop. It still only consumes
around 50W flat out. [for desktop duty add another 70W for the two
1600x1200 LCDs)]

--
djc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural wrote:

[...]

I can't believe how good they are. Well built, quiet, powerful enough for
anything I throw at it and dirt cheap.