Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Finnigan Simon Finnigan is offline

Default where to source cheap used desktop PCs?

djc wrote:
On 22/08/11 16:07, Andrew May wrote:
On 22/08/2011 15:59, Simon Finnigan wrote:
wrote:
On 21/08/2011 20:15, Simon Finnigan wrote:
The Natural wrote:

I've ended up with one of the HP micro servers, I reckon it'll pay for
itself within a couple of years compared to the server it's replaced.

depends on how much you paid for it; and whether you're on a diesel
powered genny

About £125 in total for the hardware delivered, it runs on about 40-50 w
with hard drives and CPU flat out. The processor on the server it
replaced
could burn through 80 W on it's own, never mind the rest of the hardware.
It's on 24/7, saving about 50W I reckon. 50x24=1200W per day = 438,000 w
per year. 438 KWh at 12p each is roughly £50 a year saving on
electricity.

Plus they're newer, smaller, much quieter etc, so all in all a good deal
:-)

Has anyone tried one of these? Consume 6-8W when running and less than a
Watt on standby. I keep trying to find an application for one.

I have a HP Microserver with 4x2TB HD (and the original 250GB drive
reinstalled to the CD slot) and the max 8GB RAM. It was intended as a
file server and to to process some large datasets in no great hurry.
Then I decided to put a Radeon half-height 5450 video card in it. So it
is now doing double duty as my main desktop. It still only consumes
around 50W flat out. [for desktop duty add another 70W for the two
1600x1200 LCDs)]

I can't believe how good they are. Well built, quiet, powerful enough for
anything I throw at it and dirt cheap.